CKY's Solphos: The Path Less Common

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Solphos Archives
A large set based on combos, tapping and untapping, and Victorian science.

Natron Mirrorwing
Natron Mirrorwing

Creature – Drake (U)
3/2

Flying
Catalyze – Reveal three cards that share a card type from your hand: You may counter target spell that targets Natron Mirrorwing or choose new targets for it.

"Of course Philosopher Scepter would pick a mirrorwing as her familiar. They evade magic as easily as she evades questions."
–Philosopher Cestus

Junkyard Roaches
Junkyard Roaches

Creature – Zombie Insect (U)
1/1

When Junkyard Roaches enters the battlefield, return a card at random from your graveyard to your hand.
Transmute

"These errant creatures are not truly alive. Like viruses, they infest and incubate within their host habitat."
–Caela, Hydropolis researcher

Rain of Fire
Rain of Fire

Instant (U)

Rain of Fire deals 2 damage to each creature. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it instead.

Solar fragments ignite the smog of Furopolis as they streak into the stratosphere, transforming the unshielded slums of the perioch into a fiery deathtrap.

Electrified Earth
Electrified Earth

Creature – Ooze (U)
2/2

: Counter target spell or ability that targets Electrified Earth. If that spell or ability is countered this way, put two +1/+1 counters on Electrified Earth.

Oozes, creatures of elemental magic, have a natural affinity for mana. In consuming it, they taste the energy that first gave them life.

And a blue rare:

Alydia Truthseeker
Alydia Truthseeker

Legendary Creature – Sphinx (R)
3/4

Flying
, : Name a card, then draw a card and reveal it. If that card has the chosen name, draw X additional cards.

She treads a myriad possible futures, searching for the way back to her own.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

The rare is nuts with Field of Dreams or Lantern of insight (or similar cards) if I'm understanding it correctly. Do you repeat the process until you fail to name the card, or just once? If the latter, then it's fine.
The template for Natron Mirrorwing might want to be simpler. "Catalyze – Reveal three cards that share a card type from your hand: Counter target spell that targets Natron Mirrorwing or choose new targets for it."

I don't know if you want both, though, especially on something repeatable. Hexproof for spells (so, no redirecting) should be enough.

Rain of Fire is cool.

Electrified Earth may be too degenerate. Sovereigns of Alara didn't need another card (except the attacker which could be itself) to get an Eldrazi Conscription, but it cost six mana and was multicolor. This costs two and makes free any Aura and pump effect you can think of. At the same time, because you are probably just winning by now, your opponent has to use his or her removal spell. And you'll probably have Ranger's Guile or something. It should be rare, but I think it's still very unfun.

Alydia Truthseeker seems breakable, but it's probably fine as long as there isn't more than one useful Ponder-like effect in its format.

EDIT: I didn't remember effects that let you look at the top. With that in mind, there is definitely a problem. There aren't lots of them but just one is enough for this to be banned in Modern, for example.
An alternative for Alydia would be replacing "repeat this process" with "untap Alydia".  Then add a mana cost to the ability.  Lantern of Insight is still bonkers, but at least it's not "Draw your library."
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I don't really have a problem with a two-card combo (in which one of the parts is a creature) that needs to wait a turn in order to go off.

Design-wise, I don't like that it has to tap to use the ability. It is part of blue's Big Beaters, players like Sphinxes not only because of the effects but because they attack for a lot. IMO, the ability should be an upkeep trigger, upping the mana cost if necessary.
I don't mind that some creatures make you choose between tapping or attacking, especially with a powerful enough effect. They're too few.
Junkyard Roaches doesn't really feel red. Yes, Fossil Find was partially red hybrid, but that was when returning at random was an unusual thing. These days, random returning is fairly common and normally appears in the same colours that get nonrandom returning, so this feels like an Eternal Witness variant and thus a green card.

I'm assuming Rain of Fire is supposed to have a "this turn" on it.

Electrified Earth is really cool, but I agree it's a bit scary. However, I think it'd be a lot less scary if you put the ability on a fatty instead.
blah blah metal lyrics
Junkyard Roaches doesn't really feel red. Yes, Fossil Find was partially red hybrid, but that was when returning at random was an unusual thing. These days, random returning is fairly common and normally appears in the same colours that get nonrandom returning, so this feels like an Eternal Witness variant and thus a green card.

I'm assuming Rain of Fire is supposed to have a "this turn" on it.

Electrified Earth is really cool, but I agree it's a bit scary. However, I think it'd be a lot less scary if you put the ability on a fatty instead.

Yes to all of this.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Also, "virii" isn't a word.
blah blah metal lyrics
I made some wording (and grammar -_-) fixes. I also reworded Alydia's ability so it doesn't go infinite with Field of Dreams, and overhauled Electrified Earth completely.

Random returning was an Innistrad thing. Random effects in general are still red.

Embrace imagination.

Also, "virii" isn't a word.

any word that has a vaguely unusual ending can only be pluralised by putting an i on the end DONT YOU KNOW ANYTHING

edit: i much prefer the new electrified earth

edit 2: i might be misunderstanding the new ability, but isn't it possible to name every card in my deck apart from a singleton and draw a zillion cards without risking decking out
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Random returning was an Innistrad thing. Random effects in general are still red.

Well, I don't think it's too out of place in red, but I disagre. We don't know if random returning is just an Innistrad thing because we haven't seen another block yet. It appeared on Tariel, Reckoner of Souls first, but that card is of course red.

That being said, thinking about it further it doesn't actually matter what direction the real game is going. If most of the graveyard recursion in your set is nonrandom, than putting it in red seems fine.

edit 2: i might be misunderstanding the new ability, but isn't it possible to name every card in my deck apart from a singleton and draw a zillion cards without risking decking out

I think you have to guess in order. That being said, I'm worried about this version. If you don't care about giving information away (which may be true in some cases), it seems like the best play is actually to guess your entire deck in some random order, since there's no penalty for guessing wrong except to stop going...which would happen anyway if you'd just stopped guessing. In practice you won't draw very many cards this way, but the idea that under any circumstances that's the correct play is pretty gross.
blah blah metal lyrics
i much prefer the new electrified earth

I realized that the new ability makes it too similar to another 2-cost green creature at rare, Slimy Singularity, so I changed it again.
i might be misunderstanding the new ability, but isn't it possible to name every card in my deck apart from a singleton and draw a zillion cards without risking decking out

You have to name them in the correct order as well.

@Nyktos: I changed Alydia once more. Having the potential to draw your entire deck by sheer luck was the point of the original design, but after consideration I don't think it's possible to design that in a non-broken form. The new ability is similar to the first, but no longer gives you the same tantalizing possibility.

Embrace imagination.