Cathedral of Chaos dungeon tiles

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Got the Cathedral of Chaos tiles today and I'm quite impressed. Quite a lot of small tiles for "elemental themed" features such as ice, fires, pools and gas clouds. There's one whole sheet of 1" round items, such as statues and magical effects, and plants. Also some larger strangely cut tiles for irregular dungeon layouts. I think the set will augment the more generic sets like the dungeon essentials quite well.

My only gripe really is a 8" inch square tile with just a cloud of gas on, which seems a little pointless, but in general I think I can use all of the tiles in my adventures.
My only gripe really is a 8" inch square tile with just a cloud of gas on, which seems a little pointless

Heh, yeah... there's not many 8" burst effects in 4e...

The other items seem pretty nifty though. Thanks for the description.
Your post really surprised me as the official product catalogue has this listed for an April 20th release date. Then I went online and saw that Amazon was listing it for March 20th. Seeing as how you already have a copy (from an early release FLGS I presume) I'm guessing that Amazon was right.

I'm really surpised that if the release date is so soon that we havn't seen any preview articles. Normally they do one a few weeks before a set releases.
Got the Cathedral of Chaos tiles today and I'm quite impressed. Quite a lot of small tiles for "elemental themed" features such as ice, fires, pools and gas clouds. There's one whole sheet of 1" round items, such as statues and magical effects, and plants. Also some larger strangely cut tiles for irregular dungeon layouts. I think the set will augment the more generic sets like the dungeon essentials quite well.

My only gripe really is a 8" inch square tile with just a cloud of gas on, which seems a little pointless, but in general I think I can use all of the tiles in my adventures.

Can you tell us if this set is actually useful to build cathedrals? My campaigns feature a lot of temples/churches/cathedrals so such a set would be very useful to me. If it's more generic dungeon crawl style tiles I'm a lot less interested.
A while back someone on EN World requested some pictures, so I added them to my picture gallery. You can get a feel for the tiles there (and for the fun my son had with them). Overall they are a very fun set, especially for elemental themed adventures.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The release date isn't the only thing which is wrong on the WoTC product page.

This set of dungeon tiles is unusual in that it includes 4 sheets of dungeon terrain tiles and 2 sheets of tokens to represent spell effects, magical traps, and elemental hazards.

Actually its 5 sheets of tiles and 1 of tokens which was a surprise.

Check Alphastream1's gallery for pictures. The set contains lots of odd shaped tiles, diagonal corridors, triangular pits glowing coals etc. Not much use on its own but good with any of the other dungeon sets.
im excited for these now
I got them from a uk hobby store, yeah. I also didn't think they were out yet so was quite surprised.

Can you tell us if this set is actually useful to build cathedrals? My campaigns feature a lot of temples/churches/cathedrals so such a set would be very useful to me. If it's more generic dungeon crawl style tiles I'm a lot less interested.

Um, there are a few tiles with things like metal railings and steps, but I don't think it's particularly cathedral-like. It feels more like a wizard's manse or something to me. It's a bit of a mixed set really.

I got them from a uk hobby store, yeah. I also didn't think they were out yet so was quite surprised.

Um, there are a few tiles with things like metal railings and steps, but I don't think it's particularly cathedral-like. It feels more like a wizard's manse or something to me. It's a bit of a mixed set really.

Do you think one set will be enough? Or do the tiles pretty much require that you get two sets to make them work? (ex. arcane towers)
Do you think one set will be enough? Or do the tiles pretty much require that you get two sets to make them work? (ex. arcane towers)

I usually get 2 sets when they are released, but in this case I think 1 is sufficient because they feel mostly like accompaniments or accessories rather than something a complete location could be created from.

Sign In to post comments