Baldur's Gate is back!

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
HD release coming this summer. I posted this in off-topic, as well. Very excited!

www.examiner.com/console-gaming-in-natio...

My only concern.. why is Atari releasing it? They don't own the IP anymore.
My guess is they don't own forward  IP. I don't think they can lose the IP they already had.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
The fact that Atari is involved with a D&D game makes me more than a little frightened. Especially when they can ruin one of the greatest CRPG games ever.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
The fact that Atari is involved with a D&D game makes me more than a little frightened. Especially when they can ruin one of the greatest CRPG games ever.

They were just the publisher. Their name is on NWN, afterall. That game was great.

They were just the publisher. Their name is on NWN, afterall. That game was great.

Going to have to disagree with you there, my screaming cat friend. I hated how NWN only allowed you a lacky. Its not D&D if you don't have a party of at least 4. NWN2 did allow that, but by the time I played it, I had already moved well beyond 3.5, and.....it just felt flat to me.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
So, they are now recycling games? 

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

im glad they kept this old school and didnt try and wait around to use the 5e ruleset

Games have been being recycled for years.  I mean, look at how many times Pong has been rereleased or remade.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Going to have to disagree with you there, my screaming cat friend. I hated how NWN only allowed you a lacky. Its not D&D if you don't have a party of at least 4. NWN2 did allow that, but by the time I played it, I had already moved well beyond 3.5, and.....it just felt flat to me.

Yeah, in single player. NWN is all about the multiplayer.

I never got to play multiplayer.

And I still enjoyed NWN.

Is NWN 2 any good?
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Then you never played the game. It had a great pseudo DM tool that you could use to create and run online modules.

NWN2 had more potential to be good, but it was pretty meh. It looks better on paper, anyway. I've been trying to connect to servers on it, but they all end up being french, lol. 
I hope they keep it the same, more or less, with the exception of THAC0. Just invert those numbers and it'll be that much more accessible to newcomers.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.

Games have been being recycled for years.  I mean, look at how many times Pong has been rereleased or remade.

NHL{year}... and the like in sports games. 
but I have been noticing allot of HD remakes of console games popping up the last few years...

I'm sorry but if this game isn't turn based, there is no way that they can compete with Dragon Age's game play. Not to mention Bioware's excellence in story-telling.

Then you never played the game. It had a great pseudo DM tool that you could use to create and run online modules.

NWN2 had more potential to be good, but it was pretty meh. It looks better on paper, anyway. I've been trying to connect to servers on it, but they all end up being french, lol. 

I much prefer playing single player games, unless I know the people I'm playing games with really well.  And I knew no one else playing NWN at the time.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
69216168 wrote:
This and Diablo III will make my year in gaming for me. 
"DM says you're gonna die, roll a d6." "It's true you DON'T see many Dwarf Women, and in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for Dwarf Men.. there has been rise to believe that there ARE no Dwarf women.. and that Dwarves just.. spring out of holes in the ground!" - Gimli
I'm sorry but if this game isn't turn based, there is no way that they can compete with Dragon Age's game play. Not to mention Bioware's excellence in story-telling.

Baldur's Gate 1 was a fantastic game. Better than either DA games. DA1 is the only worthy comparison though. DA2 was horrible.

Baldur's Gate 1 was a fantastic game. Better than either DA games. DA1 is the only worthy comparison though. DA2 was horrible.

Also, since BG is a bioware game, it might compete with bioware story telling...
Show
58033128 wrote:
I still get bewildered by the idea of Good races and Bad races. I mean, D&D presents a world where there are literally dozens of sentient humanoid races. And then there's a line drawn down the middle, and some races, such as elves, dragonborn and humans, to name but a few, are put on one side and called Good Guys. And with that they are People. They have Rights. And on the other side go a bunch of other races, goblins, orcs, kobolds, and so on. These are called Bad Guys, and as such, they are not People. It is considered ok by many players to track them down and slaughter them. It shatters my suspension of disbelief to see someone who calls their character a hero, a noble sort of person who tries their damnedest to right wrongs and fight evil, making sure that those goblin women and children don't get away, because, you know, they're goblins. They're not just stupid beasts. They have societies, culture and language. They have goals, and motivations. I can believe that someone would kill a drow or an orc at first sight, because they probably were up to something. But don't try to tell me that that was a Good act and that you did it because you are a Good Person. When I'm considering what to do with a group of "bad" humanoids, and I come up with an idea, I mentally replace whatever the "bad guy" of the week is with humans. If it isn't ok to do it to a human, I won't do it to any sentient race.
My Views on the Alignment System:
Show
Killing something because it might be evil = evil Killing something because it might do something evil = evil Killing something because it is planning to do something evil = neutral Killing something because has done something evil = neutral Killing something because it is doing evil = good

Also, since BG is a bioware game, it might compete with bioware story telling...

It will compete. The original Baldur's Gate easily competes with DA1. This is just a remake of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
I'm sorry but if this game isn't turn based, there is no way that they can compete with Dragon Age's game play. Not to mention Bioware was excellence in story-telling.

Sorry to fixed your quote.
just can't resist

I'm sorry but if this game isn't turn based, there is no way that they can compete with Dragon Age's game play. Not to mention Bioware was excellence in story-telling.

Sorry to fixed your quote.
just can't resist

Dragon Age 2 has a good story, if a bit dissapointing compared to DA1, and Mass Effect 3 is a great story (especially if you just played 1 and 2 and see all the little connections and small changes based on all the things you did in the previous two parts). It is just that they need to work on their endings, because in both cases they leave a lot to be desired. All IMHO of course ;)

Note that I find a remake of a storybased game a bit odd. I enjoyed Baldurs Gate (although not nearly as much as Dragon Age 1, the Mass Effect series or Torment), but I doubt a replay would draw my attention all that long.
Sign In to post comments