Alternate Win Conditions

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have several EDH decks that are each different colors and work differently, but all fundamentally win the same way: through combat. Regardless of whether it's Momir, Doran, or Horde of Notions everyone goes through the red zone. This has made me relatively unfamiliar with winning through alternative means, but it has also made me want to design a deck that does. I've seen cards like Helix Pinnacle and Epic Struggle that would fit the bill (and also happen to fit an enchantment sub-theme). What are the best generals and/or colors to achieve wins without having to enter the combat step?
Oona. Infinite mana.
I have several EDH decks that are each different colors and work differently, but all fundamentally win the same way: through combat. Regardless of whether it's Momir, Doran, or Horde of Notions everyone goes through the red zone. This has made me relatively unfamiliar with winning through alternative means, but it has also made me want to design a deck that does. I've seen cards like Helix Pinnacle and Epic Struggle that would fit the bill (and also happen to fit an enchantment sub-theme). What are the best generals and/or colors to achieve wins without having to enter the combat step?

Those two cards could work really well with Rith, the Awakener and Mana Echoes.  Really though, Mana Echoes can generate a bonkers amount of mana, especially in a token deck.  Then, you could always add stuff like Kamahl, Fist of Krosa to go through the red zone as a plan B.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

If you're interested in not using "You win the game" cards (I'm not a fan personally) there's mill and Legerdemaining Abyssal Persecutor after giving him shroud. 
If you're interested in not using "You win the game" cards (I'm not a fan personally) there's mill and Legerdemaining Abyssal Persecutor after giving him shroud. 

How do you plan on targeting him after giving him shroud?
By staying awake long enough to make such a mistake. Lol. protection from their colors would do though.
Darksteel Reactor is another oldie but goodie........ Doubling Seasons will help double the speed of tokens and counters.
Maze of ith+
argothian elder+
Stroke of genius or Blue sun's zenith to kill one player. Very cute since most blue decks will have maze, stroke and zenith anyway.

even though it uses the combat step, the Kiki-jiki, mirror breaker or Splinter twin + Deceiver exarch or Intruder alarm or Pestermite combo is simple.

Tunnel vision + Vendilion clique or Spin into myth or bant charm is another fun way to kill of a player. If you want to win in multiplayer you can always try to use Laboratory maniac instead, but they I hope you bring some counterspells to boot

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

I have a Horde of Notions decl that would support some of this. The list is pretty tight, but mana acceleration is always welcome anyway and the support cards aren't numerous. Here will be the set list:

Mirari's Wake (already in the deck)
Mana Echoes
Mana Reflection (already in the deck)
Doubling Season
Darksteel Reactor
Helix Pinnacle
Dismantle

That makes seven cards that support an alternate win condition, and three - four are good for the rest of the deck anyway.
Spawnsire of Ulamog.  Activate his second ability and cast 120+ copies of Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.  They all die to the legendary rule and get shuffled into your library.  Proceed to win with Battle of Wits.
Door to Nothingness. At least it kills one opponent. But..I do not think it works :P
Just my two cents..
Spawnsire of Ulamog.  Activate his second ability and cast 120+ copies of Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.  They all die to the legendary rule and get shuffled into your library.  Proceed to win with Battle of Wits.

Pretty sure this doesn't work since you're only supposed to pull from the sideboard for "outside the game" cards. Not to mention who has 120 copies of ulamog to shuffle in anyway? Or any of the legendary eldrazi for that matter.

Still, if I ever see it pulled off in paper magic, I will shake that persons hand AND give them a cookie.
That would be the coolest way to win a magic game ever ever.

Sign In to post comments