Mata Hari's Agency: Thorachnid Imago

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thorachnid Imago
Creature- Spider Beast
Morph
When Thorachnid Imago is turned face up, if it's not a combat phase, you may have it fight another target creature.
4/5

I friggin' love morph. I actually have another green morph creature, but I'm leaving it until I can think of a decent name.

in before HURR HURR A CREATURE CAN'T BE A COMBAT PHASE YOU BIG DUMY 
The wording is so awkward. Why are you so opposed to morphing in combat phase?
You could also have "You can only morph this when it's not combat", though that doesn't do everything you want it to do.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I ain't opposed to morphing in combat, I'm opposed to fighting in combat.
Yes, that's what I meant. Why no combat fighting?
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I would use
"When Thorachnid Imago is turned face up, you may have it fight another target creature unless it's a combat phase."

It just throws off the maths so much, especially when morph is a combat trick already.
It just throws off the maths so much, especially when morph is a combat trick already.

I guess, but it makes a cool card look rather inelegant.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
I honestly don't feel like it's that bad. Certainly could be worse.

Yeah, but what are you really doing here?  If you use this power on a creature other than the one the spider is blocking, then you're basically just blocking two creatures and trying to kill both of them.  Chances are you'll lose your spider if both creatures hit hard enough since the spider will have fight damage and combat damage to deal with.  Aside from a few outside situations, all you are really doing is getting a little more efficient double block in.  I don't see anything wrong with that as a combat trick.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

A combination fight damage/combat damage creature would be cool, but I think that would neater as a legendary thorachnid queen with a big butt.

As for this creature, maybe have the condition as "..., if it is not attacking or blocking,..." instead.
As for this creature, maybe have the condition as "..., if it is not attacking or blocking,..." instead.

That wouldn't help though since you could use its morph ability first during the combat phase and then declare it as a blocker...or attacker.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I like the flavor better this way. it's like, "bro I can't fight that guy right now, I'm fighting this guy"

PS: spiders call you bro. 

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

razorborne is right as well, of course.
Your cards have the weirdest names.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
'Thorachnid' really isn't that weird in that it's just a combination of 'thorax' and 'arachnid'. I was going to call it something like Ambusher Thorachnid or Shedding Thorachnid, but none of them really did it for me. 'Imago' is a real word, but I don't think it's usually applied to arachnids.
It's a shame "Giant Ambush Beetle" was already taken.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.