Academy Rector vs Mimic Vat; Conspiracy questions

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was recently in a 3-person EDH game where I had Mimic Vat out, Player A had Academy Rector out, and Player B had 13 2/2 zombie tokens via Army of the Damned he cast last turn. In case it matters, turn order was me, Player A, Player B. It was Player A's turn currently, he attacked Player B with Academy Rector just simply for it to be blocked and die so he can use the exile itself/tutor for enchantment ability. He brought out True Conviction this way and then proceeded to wipe the floor with me and Player B. Anyway, my question is could I have used my Mimic Vat to take the Rector before Player A could have used the exile/tutor portion to avoid/delay such a run away game like this? I wasn't sure at the time, so that is why I'm asking now.

Next question is about Conspiracy. I'm currently working on a Kaalia of the Vast EDH deck with about a handful of useful creatures in it including Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Urabrask the Hidden, Avatar of Woe, and others which are not the appropriate creature type to be "Kaalia fodder" as I call it. If I were to choose Dragon, Demon, or Angel for Conspiracy, would I then be able to bring these guys out via Kaalia when she attacks? I assume I can since they would then be the appropriate type, just wanted to be sure. Also, (if this trick is possible) if I brought out Mikaeus via Kaalia this way or already have him out, would Kaalia and the other few humans in my deck have undying?

1. Yes, you could have - because triggered abilities are put on the stack in APNAP order (active player, then non active player/s) and it was A's turn, his ability would get put on the stack first, then your Mimic Vat's ability would get put on the stack. Yours would resolve first, and if you were to exile the Rector, then when the Rector's ability resolves it won't be able to exile the card - and as such, they won't get to search for an enchantment (the exile must be done as part of the Rector's ability, not some other means).

2. Yes, this works, because Conspiracy explicitly changes the creature subtype of cards that are in your hand (as well as every other non-battlefield zone). Something like Xenograft wouldn't work, because it only gives the subtype to permanents on the battlefield.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
All your Creatures will have Undying, because all Creatures will be only Dragons:

205.1a. Some effects set an object's card type. In such cases, the new card type(s) replaces any existing card types. Counters, effects, and damage marked on the object remain with it, even if they are meaningless to the new card type. Similarly, when an effect sets one or more of an object's subtypes, the new subtype(s) replaces any existing subtypes from the appropriate set (creature types, land types, artifact types, enchantment types, planeswalker types, or spell types). If an object's card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object's card type is removed. Removing an object's subtype doesn't affect its card types at all.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
All your Creatures will have Undying, because all Creatures will be only Dragons

Actually, Mikaeus will not have undying, because his ability specifically excludes him.
all Creatures will be only Dragons

this isn't always true
eg. animate an Inkmoth Nexus and you'll get a land artifact creature - blinkmoth dragon
because the type changing effect of Nexus has a later timestamp (though it is still a dragon per 205.1b)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

all Creatures will be only Dragons

this isn't always true
eg. animate an Inkmoth Nexus and you'll get a land artifact creature - blinkmoth dragon
because the type changing effect of Nexus has a later timestamp (though it is still a dragon per 205.1b)

This is wrong.  Conspiracy can't give creature types to non-creatures, so if you applied it first, it would do nothing, and then Inkmoth Nexus would make itself just a Blinkmoth artifact land creature.  I think what actually happens is that there's dependency, so Conspiracy is applied last regardless of timestamps.  It'll be a Dragon artifact land creature.
The the Nexus would be a dragon, not because of 205.1b, but because of dependency. Both the type changing effect from Conspiracy and the animation effect from the Nexus happen in the same layer, with the Nexus' effect having the later time stamp. So Conspiracy couldn't apply to the Nexus, because it's not a creature yet, if it weren't for the fact, that Conspiracy's effect is dependent on the Nexus' and thus has to wait for the Nexus' animation effect:

613.7a An effect is said to "depend on" another if (a) it‘s applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

613.7b An effect dependent on one or more other effects waits to apply until just after all of those effects have been applied. If multiple dependent effects would apply simultaneously in this way, they‘re applied in timestamp order relative to each other. If several dependent effects form a dependency loop, then this rule is ignored and the effects in the dependency loop are applied in timestamp order.

The Nexus will not be a blinkmoth, because of that, only a dragon.
OK, that example is bad, but doesn't invalidate my point.

Perhaps...

Let's have Simic Guildmage move Wind Zendikon to the animated Nexus.

and if that doesn't work one could just drop a Xenograft after

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

That's kind of a mystery for me:

You say Conspiracy will re-dragonize a de-animated-re-animated Nexus
 but it has been said elsewhere that
Olivia's second ability* would fail to re-vampirize a de-animated-re-animated Gideon.

Why the difference?

*Of course, I know Gideon would be re-vampirized if one activates Olivia again,
but that's not what I'm talking about.    
I'm talking about the continuous ability she sets when her ability is activated once, on Gideon-creature,
then Gideon de-animates.   
If he re-animates, he won't be a vampire, even though Olivia ability's effect still applies. (because it has no duration)

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

That's kind of a mystery for me:

but it has been said elsewhere that
Olivia's second ability* would fail to re-vampirize a de-animated-re-animated Gideon.

Why the difference?

*Of course, I know Gideon would be re-vampirized if one activates Olivia again,
but that's not what I'm talking about.    
I'm talking about the continuous ability she sets when her ability is activated once, on Gideon-creature,
then Gideon de-animates.   
If he re-animates, he won't be a vampire, even though Olivia ability's effect still applies. (because it has no duration)

Because Conspiracy is dependent upon the Nexus animating (see post #7 for rule quote).
I still don't agree with the Olivia dependency issue (that it's not dependent), but that's a completely separate topic. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
but it has been said elsewhere that

Why the difference?

The difference is Olivia creates a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability as in rule 611.2 and Conspiracy creates a continuous effect generated by its static ability as in rule 611.3.
The difference is Olivia creates a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability as in rule 611.2 and Conspiracy creates a continuous effect generated by its static ability as in rule 611.3.

...thus Olivia's effect cannot be dependent because of 611.2c! Thanks!

611.2c (..) the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change...

613.7a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (...) applying the other would change (...) what it applies to,...

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Ah, so its One-shot vs. Continuous - like Glorious Anthem vs. Glorious Charge, yes?
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Ah, so its One-shot vs. Continuous - like Glorious Anthem vs. Glorious Charge, yes?

Not quite.

Both these cards produce continuous effects: they both have a duration.

Anthem's effect lasts for as long as Anthem is on the Field;
Charge's effect lasts until end of turn.

The essential difference is in which objects are affected by those effects:
Anthem's effect affects creatures you control at any given time: 
get a creature - it'll get affected. Lose a creature - it'll cease to be affected;
Charge's effect affects creatures you control as it resolves:
those creatures will remain affected, even if an opponent steals them. New creatures you'd get won't be affected.

1: True Conviction still enters play but you may put the Reactor on Mimic Vat Afterwards.
2: Yes

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

1: True Conviction still enters play but you may put the Reactor on Mimic Vat Afterwards.
2: Yes

Duh?

1: True Conviction still enters play but you may put the Reactor on Mimic Vat Afterwards.

This is not true. In this case, the controller of Mimic Vat has the opportunity to imprint Academy Rector before the Rector's ability resolves. If Academy Rector is imprinted, it will not be able to exile itself when its ability resolves, so it will not search for an enchantment, and True Conviction will not enter the battlefield.
follow up question: Academy Rector is out, then I were to clone/copy her in some way say via Phantasmal Image/Phyrexian Metamorph; would the Rector Image/Rector Metamorph clone be able to tutor for enchantment like the original?  i.e. is the clone version still "Academy Rector" when it goes to the graveyard to be exile by the ability or would it be the Image/Metamorph instead, thus not working?
follow up question: Academy Rector is out, then I were to clone/copy her in some way say via Phantasmal Image/Phyrexian Metamorph; would the Rector Image/Rector Metamorph clone be able to tutor for enchantment like the original?  i.e. is the clone version still "Academy Rector" when it goes to the graveyard to be exile by the ability or would it be the Image/Metamorph instead, thus not working?

Yes, the clone will have tutor ability like the original Academy Rector.
Next time, please make a new thread instead. ;)