03/15/2012 Sealed Deck Builder

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

The two decks i considered were WB and UB. It's pretty close since the two griffins are very solid, however the zombies build has a bit more synergy, more card advantage and the ability to turn games around with army of the damned. I included one ravenous demon since with three humans in the form of 2x deranged assisstant and 1 x civiziled scholar he might occasionally get there, and when he doesn't a 4/4 vanilla still has some value in this format.

As is typical with UB builds, the double and triple colour requirements and the tendency to mill yourself discourages splashing a third colour.

Overall the build is a little light on creatures, alleviated somewhat by the reap the seagrafs.

This Deck was built in 0:04:37

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bone to Ash
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Lost in the Mist
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

Decided to go into UB. There's synergy between the Demons and Humans, the Assistants and Skaabs, and the removal package is solid enough. The deck is creature light, but Reap the Seagraf, Army of the Damned, and Runechanter's Pike should more than make up for it.

Went to 18 land instead of adding an extra spell because there are a lot of cards in the deck (Murder of Crows, Army, Demons, Relentless Skaabs, counterspells) that you want to hit the table as soon as possible. Scholar, Crows, and Divination will alleviate any issues with the extra land so it certainly won't hurt the deck.

This Deck was built in 0:03:32

18 Lands
---------------
8 Island
10 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bone to Ash
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Lost in the Mist
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

The two decks i considered were WB and UB. It's pretty close since the two griffins are very solid, however the zombies build has a bit more synergy, more card advantage and the ability to turn games around with army of the damned. I included one ravenous demon since with three humans in the form of 2x deranged assisstant and 1 x civiziled scholar he might occasionally get there, and when he doesn't a 4/4 vanilla still has some value in this format.

As is typical with UB builds, the double and triple colour requirements and the tendency to mill yourself discourages splashing a third colour.

Overall the build is a little light on creatures, alleviated somewhat by the reap the seagrafs.

This Deck was built in 0:04:37

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bone to Ash
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Lost in the Mist
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

That's almost identical to my build, except I included Runechanter's Pike and Vampire Interloper rather than Chant of the Skifsang and Lost in the Mist.  I can see that the Vampire Interloper might be too aggressive for this deck, but I think there's a lot of potential to the Runechanter's Pike here, on offense as well as defense.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
This Deck was built in 0:19:50

17 Lands
---------------
7 Island
2 Mountain
8 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Curiosity
1 Divination
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

I can never pass up Curiosity if I'm in blue.  Which is why Interloper is in there over the cat.  Splashing red for Falkenrath Aristocrat is probably a mistake, especially with no fixing.  She'll win a game or two, but the mountains will probably lose me an equal number.
That's almost identical to my build, except I included Runechanter's Pike and Vampire Interloper rather than Chant of the Skifsang and Lost in the Mist.  I can see that the Vampire Interloper might be too aggressive for this deck, but I think there's a lot of potential to the Runechanter's Pike here, on offense as well as defense.

Fractal: yeah I agree runechanter's pike is well suited to the deck. i'd rather drop the grip tide than the lost or chant. chant is the better removal since the deck doesn't do much with any temp gained via griptide. lost in the mist is almost always decent in sealed.

i didn't include vampire for the reasons you stated.
This mana base hurts my eyes, but I'd love to play this deck just for fun.  Who knows how many games you could steal with Army?

This Deck was built in 0:17:40

Total Deck Size: 41
18 Lands
---------------
4 Island
5 Mountain
9 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Headless Skaab
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Reckless Waif

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bump in the Night
1 Desperate Ravings
1 Dream Twist
2 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

This week's exercise was very challenging. I don't know what this land count would look like...

This Deck was built in 0:04:11

Total Deck Size: 23

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Midnight Guard
2 Ravenous Demon
2 Silverclaw Griffin
1 Thraben Purebloods
1 Unruly Mob
1 Vampire Interloper
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Voiceless Spirit

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Burden of Guilt
1 Chant of the Skifsang
2 Faith's Shield
1 Griptide
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

The UB deck is so strong and zombie focused

This Deck was built in 0:09:29

17 Lands
---------------
7 Island
10 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

so many zombies im even prepared to run army of the damned, the tough call was jar of eyeballs or land no. 18 and i decided on eyeballs for some filtering , the 2 deranged assistants can help accelerate to my big stuff before getting sac. to the Ravenous Demons...
This Deck was built in 0:07:52

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
6 Plains
5 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Gravetiller Wurm
1 Hollowhenge Scavenger
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Midnight Guard
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Caravan Vigil
2 Faith's Shield
1 Gutter Grime
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wreath of Geists

What can I say? I got greedy and wanted to play enough humans to get Ravenous Demon to work properly. Anything that dies is just amazing for this deck, there are so many cards that trigger off of it.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
This Deck was built in 0:12:23

17 Lands
---------------
7 Island
9 Swamp
1 Haunted Fengraf

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

This was a tough build.  The cards pool didn't send any obvious signals which way to go.  I thought or was my initial way to go,  but after looking at the selection I had doubts.  Looking at the other colors didn't look very enticing either.  No one color stood out on its own, so I decided to make my first build with .  I will try another with other colors to see if I like that better.

The deck seems a little light on creatures.  The 2 Reap the Seagraf will help in that area along with the Army of the Damned.  I included the Ghoulcaller's Chant because of the 2 Deranged Assistants.  Divination and Jar of Eyeballs will help dig through the deck to find the cards I need.  There is a good amount of removal.  I included Victim of Night because in sealed there will usually be a target for this.  It's a gamble I'm willing to make for a good removal spell, otherwise I can just side it out.  My biggest concerns are Headless Skaab and Relentless Skaabs, there may not be enough targets for these in my graveyard making them dead draws.
This Deck was built in 0:12:44

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
7 Mountain
3 Swamp
1 Haunted Fengraf

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Crossway Vampire
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Gravetiller Wurm
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Nearheath Stalker
1 Rage Thrower
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Reckless Waif
1 Torch Fiend
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Caravan Vigil
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Gutter Grime
1 Hunger of the Howlpack
1 Jar of Eyeballs
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Wrack with Madness

Not sure about this build either.  It has some humans to make the Ravenous Demon more of a threat, but they are werewolves so I could not have humans after he transforms.  At least there is Falkenrath Aristocrat and Fling to sac it to.  I'm hoping for the second option.  Transform him, attack for 9 then sac him to Fling for another 9.  This should end the game.  If I can't deal 2 damage before turn 6, then I should lose.  I'm only running 3 swamps because of the Caravan and Jar.  These should help me reach 2 swamps by the time I can play the Demon.  The only double mana casting cost, other than the Demon, is Crossway Vampire so I shouldn't have to much problem getting the mana I need.  I can also use the Aristocrat in combo with Rage Thrower to deal a little extra damage to opponent.  This can help fuel the Jar of Eyeballs and Gutter Grime.  This deck seems like it will do well or fail miserably.
This Deck was built in 0:07:17

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
6 Plains
7 Swamp
1 Haunted Fengraf

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Midnight Guard
2 Ravenous Demon
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Sanctuary Cat
1 Silverclaw Griffin
1 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Voiceless Spirit

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Burden of Guilt
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Sharpened Pitchfork
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

I thought there would be good synergy between white and black.  Was thinking this was the best use of the Demon.  It doesn't look that way.  There really isn't much explaining to do for this deck.  Try to attack as much as possible and remove any threats across the way.  The Demon would only be transformed if the win was close or I have at least one human on the board and maybe another in my hand.  

I don't believe this deck would do very well.  I'm posting it to see what everyone else thinks of it.  I would rather play either of my other 2 decks than this one.  I think my second has the best threats and chance of winning.  At least a little faster then the first.

Let me know what you think of this deck and my first two.  Give comments and criticisms, but please be constructive.

I thought straight UB was way too strong to ignore the zombie tribal build, given that the curve, lord, and long game finisher were all there.  Splashing red also seemed to destabilize the mana base too much, since there was a distinct lack of mana fixing.  Let me know what you think.

This Deck was built in 0:12:06

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Curiosity
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

I am surprised so many people are getting greedy with the red splash with zero mana fixing. Also self mill can put you in a awkward position.

This deck is looking to push through damage where it can with diregraf captain pulling alot of weight. But also there are 3 5/1s! Cobbled Wings! They should end the game very quickly so long as lingering souls isn't seen. The first strike from the pike is also nice. And since some of the creatures are actually spells the pike should actually give a decent power boost too.
Army of the Damned is not played and with two mana dorks and only 3 cc spells I can cut to 16 land. This deck will win games.
This Deck was built in 0:03:53

16 Lands
---------------
9 Island
7 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Bone to Ash
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Cobbled Wings
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Lost in the Mist
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

Grow old or die trying.

I really think that the UB build is obviously the way to go with this deck. the two slips alone make the deck great and lots of zombie synergy. The aristocrat makes you want to splash red but i think it is a mistake. too many BB and BBB there to splash with no fixers either. Anyone has a problem with with any of these choices ? let me know... cant wait for GP nash this weekend

This Deck was built in 0:08:09

17 Lands
---------------
Island
Swamp

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bone to Ash
1 Chant of the Skifsang
1 Divination
1 Griptide
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

The cards pool didn't send any obvious signals which way to go. <--- your kidding right? i mean if you want a sign it was the zombie lord and the army ... plus about 5-8 good zombies ...

5 Forest
9 Plains
3 Swamp

1 Doomed Traveler
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Midnight Guard
1 Sanctuary Cat
2 Silverclaw Griffin
1 Thraben Purebloods
1 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Voiceless Spirit

1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald

2 Ravenous Demon

1 Caravan Vigil
2 Faith's Shield
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip

White for flying, Green for ground.  7 Humans to feed the Demons.  
Every non-creature spell aids Runechanter's Pike.  The Shields, Guile and Slips are each 1 mana preservation or removal. 

This Deck was built in 0:05:42

19 Lands
---------------
8 Island
11 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
1 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Artful Dodge
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
1 Sharpened Pitchfork
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

Cards really push you to Zombie route.  I think double Ravenous Demon is a distraction.  You don't have enough humans to make him worth adding.  I think this deck pushes for speed and if that fails hold out for the Army of the Damned finisher.  With all the 1 toughness guys, you need both first strike equipments to help them live.  Imagine the any of your 5/1s with first strike, you don't even need the bonus attack strength to run through most anything then.

This Deck was built in 2:04:22

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Plains

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Headless Skaab
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Midnight Guard
1 Murder of Crows
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Silverclaw Griffin
1 Thraben Purebloods
1 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Voiceless Spirit

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Artful Dodge
1 Burden of Guilt
2 Cobbled Wings
1 Divination
2 Faith's Shield
1 Sharpened Pitchfork

Yes, no swamps... maybe for the best. Half my creatures flies, most are just nice alone, and may be real pain with correct timing. Top of it, some works fine together and reinforce each other. 
It's not the most powerful deck, but i think it's well balanced and constant.

5 Forest
6 Mountain
5 Swamp

1 Haunted Fengraf
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Gravetiller Wurm
1 Kessig Wolf
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Reckless Waif
1 Torch Fiend
1 Vampire Interloper
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald
1 Bump in the Night
1 Caravan Vigil
2 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Gutter Grime
1 Hunger of the Howlpack
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Decided to go into UB. There's synergy between the Demons and Humans, the Assistants and Skaabs, and the removal package is solid enough. The deck is creature light, but Reap the Seagraf, Army of the Damned, and Runechanter's Pike should more than make up for it.

Went to 18 land instead of adding an extra spell because there are a lot of cards in the deck (Murder of Crows, Army, Demons, Relentless Skaabs, counterspells) that you want to hit the table as soon as possible. Scholar, Crows, and Divination will alleviate any issues with the extra land so it certainly won't hurt the deck.

This Deck was built in 0:03:32

18 Lands
---------------
8 Island
10 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Headless Skaab
1 Murder of Crows
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Bone to Ash
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
1 Lost in the Mist
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

Our decks are similar, as I think most decks are.  Although, there isn't a lot of variance you can do with these colors unless you are splashing another.  I am running 1 less Demon, because I don't think transforming it will happen often.  I also have 2 Rotting Fensnake and a Vampire Interloper.  The snakes are for Diregraf Captain.  The Interloper doesn't really flow with my deck, but it has evasion.  I always throw that in when I can.

I didn't think about Runechanter's Pike, but this would be a great addition to my deck.  I did put it in my second build, guess I just overlooked it in my first.  I would be willing to remove Chant of the Skifsang or even Black Cat to include the Pike.

Why didn't you include Jar of Eyeballs?  You could take the deck down to 17 lands to include it.
I'm surprised how many people are splashing into a deck, what mostly looks like it is for Falkenrath Aristocrat.  I've see 2 thru 4 mountains in these builds.  I would not want to splash this with just 2, or really even 3.  She is a 4 drop that can't hit the table fast enough.  With no mana fix in these decks, you may never see a mountain with 2 or 3.

Red does have some nice cards, but few.  I admit the second deck I build did include some red, that should not be included.  But outside of , the card pool was very limited on good cards.  Now I want to revise my second build.
After reading the other posts, I am inclined to agree that I got too greedy with my red.  Should have gone straight U/B.  I was too enticed by the double faithless looting, the ravings, the rage thrower, and the vampire though.

This Deck was built in 0:19:47

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
5 Mountain
7 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Kessig Wolf
1 Rage Thrower
1 Reckless Waif
1 Relentless Skaabs
1 Vampire Interloper

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Desperate Ravings
2 Faithless Looting
1 Griptide
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

U/B build

Not as many creatures as I would like, but it may be reasonable enough.  Better mana base than the tri-color deck above though.
This Deck was built in 0:04:10

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Murder of Crows
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Chant of the Skifsang
2 Cobbled Wings
1 Griptide
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
1 Sharpened Pitchfork
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

i'd personally rather take advantage of white and runechanter's, with black for control and green for funsies

This Deck was built in 0:15:38

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
6 Plains
7 Swamp

8 Creatures
---------------
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Hollowhenge Spirit
1 Midnight Guard
1 Unruly Mob
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald
1 Voiceless Spirit

15 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Caravan Vigil
2 Faith's Shield
1 Gutter Grime
1 Hunger of the Howlpack
1 Intangible Virtue
1 Jar of Eyeballs
1 Ranger's Guile
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night

No one else thought black red was the way to go? I really was'nt impressed with blue

This Deck was built in 1:35:32

17 Lands
---------------
1 Island
8 Mountain
8 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Crossway Vampire
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Kessig Wolf
1 Nearheath Stalker
1 Rage Thrower
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Reckless Waif
1 Torch Fiend
1 Vampire Interloper

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Bump in the Night
2 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Increasing Vengeance
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

Why didn't you include Jar of Eyeballs?  You could take the deck down to 17 lands to include it.

Just don't feel that Jar of Eyeballs is really going to help in this deck. For starters, there's only 12 creatures (counting the Reap the Seagrafs). Second, in pools where I have taken a Jar it was always so slow and blocked you out from playing other spells.

Not saying it couldn't work since you'll likely be sitting back a turn or two at some point with a counter ready, but overall I'm not a fan of the Jar. I've never played a sealed pool that worked when I played it.
2nd Deck Revision
[sblock Original Build]
17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
7 Mountain
3 Swamp
1 Haunted Fengraf

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Crossway Vampire
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Gravetiller Wurm
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Nearheath Stalker
1 Rage Thrower
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Reckless Waif
1 Torch Fiend
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Caravan Vigil
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Gutter Grime
1 Hunger of the Howlpack
1 Jar of Eyeballs
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Wrack with Madness
[/sblock]
18 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
4 Mountain
8 Swamp
1 Island

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Gravetiller Wurm
1 Lambholt Elder
1 Nearheath Stalker
1 Rage Thrower
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Village Survivors
1 Villagers of Estwald

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Caravan Vigil
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Gutter Grime
1 Jar of Eyeballs
2 Reap the Seagraf
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

This feels better than my original build.  This is a 3-color now, , not a 2-color with a splash.  I'm running 18 lands, because it will need a lot fo mana.  4 mountains are enough since my red is either 4-drop or later for creatures, or reactive for spells.  Faithless Looting would be the only red card I would play before turn 4 anyway.  I shouldn't have a problem getting swamps.  Forests may be an issue.  With (1) 2-drop and (2) 3-drops, getting a forest when needed may be difficult.  I don't want to back down on swamps any more, because this deck is black focused.  Caravan Vigil is better to play later, when I run out of land drops and have a better idea of what mana I still need.

Early game will be tough against a aggro deck.  This should be able to stall long enough to get my larger creatures out.  I have 5 ways to get a creature out by turn 3, and a couple of Tragic Slips, this should hold off long enough.  I put both Demons in for a better chance of drawing one and hopefully getting the fling in hand to finish off opponent.  Falkenrath Aristocrat works nicely with Rage Thrower and Gutter Grime, dealing 4 damage for each creature card sac'ed.  Play Army of the Damned with the Aristocrat and the Thrower on the board, and it is game over.  I did have Gravetiller Wurm in, but removed it for the Army.  Since Armey is much more powerful and combos with other cards, and it only comes out a couple turns later. 

This deck has a lot of synergy, and many, many ways to win.  I would have the most fun, and probably best chance at winning, with this deck versus my other 2 builds.  Although my first build does have some synergy, this definitely has more.  And the only blue cards I consider really worthwhile in that deck are Relentless Skaabs and Griptide, maybe Murder of CrowsDiregraf Captain is only good with lots of zombies and without Black Cat, Headless Skaab, Rotting Fensnake there are only 3 (5 including flashback) zombies that will be played.  Of course this doesn't include Army of the Damned, but this is a game winner even without the Captain.  I could remove green to include blue, but I would loss my one mana fix and 3 humans, that make the Demons better.  I know I could through in the 2 Deranged Assistants, but I consider them to be inferior.  I also like Gutter Grime's synergy with the Aristocrat.  If only a four color deck was viable.

Let me know what you think of these revision, or just the deck itself.  As always, be constructive.
5 Mountain
4 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Haunted Fengraf
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Midnight Guard
1 Rage Thrower
2 Ravenous Demon
1 Reckless Waif
1 Torch Fiend
1 Unruly Mob
1 Vampire Interloper
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Bump in the Night
1 Burden of Guilt
1 Faith's Shield
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fling
1 Furor of the Bitten
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Night Terrors
1 Runechanter's Pike
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

I wasn't sure if the R was worth splashing or not.  The Aristrocat is pretty good with the amount of fodder in the deck and Rage Thrower just ends games (again with the amount of fodder in the deck).  Jar of Eyeballs is another card I'm unsure about.  I would probably end up replacing the Ravenous Demon for the Jar.  With 2x Deranged Assistant, Army of the Damned is actually castable and with Divination and Civilized Scholar, it's also pretty consistent. 

This Deck was built in 0:10:57

17 Lands
---------------
6 Island
3 Mountain
8 Swamp

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Murder of Crows
1 Rage Thrower
1 Ravenous Demon
1 Relentless Skaabs
2 Rotting Fensnake
1 Vampire Interloper

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Army of the Damned
1 Divination
1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
1 Griptide
2 Reap the Seagraf
2 Tragic Slip
1 Victim of Night
1 Wrack with Madness

The deck went U/B Zombies with loads of removal and a captain. It works quite well

This Deck was built in 0:41:26

17 Lands
---------------
8 Island
9 Swamp

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Black Cat
1 Civilized Scholar
2 Deranged Assistant
1 Diregraf Captain