03/15/2012 FtL: "Dank Scenarios"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Not entirely sure Elfhame Sanctuary works like that since it has that nice "if you do" clause...
Not entirely sure Elfhame Sanctuary works like that since it has that nice "if you do" clause...

It does.  From the card rulings:

The "if you do" means "if you search your library". You get to skip your draw step and shuffle your deck even if you don't find (or choose not to find) a basic land.

If it didn't work that way, you would be able to look through your deck, fail to find, and not only would you keep your draw step, but you wouldn't shuffle (so you know exactly which card you're about to draw). Obviously that is a no-no.

Words of Wilding can be used to much the same effect, more straightforwardly.
island sanctuary would be better
Elfhame gives you lands, Sanctuary gives you semi-fog.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Lost in the Woods already stops attacks (outside of the obviously-engineered attack incentives like Inferno Titan). Meanwhile, Words of Wilding gives you BEARS! What's not to like?
I've always said, the best way to make a multiplayer game more fun is to cheat.  I know, technically it's allowed, but it seems dishonest to me, and I'd hesitate to play with someone using that kind of tactic.  Just my opinion.
Current Magic Decks: Vulshok and Awe (Red Kuldotha/Battle Cry) Blades/Claws/Fangs (Red/Green Werewolf) Primal Vigor (Green Garruk) Lost History (Rainbow Un-sets)
The first two decks seem kind of neat and might be fun to play.  The third deck seems like bringing a bar of soap to a gun fight.
Words of Wilding opens you up to things like Manabarbs, though... 
One missed opportunity in the Elfhame Sanctuary  deck. Why not include some copies of Worm Harvest, Spiting Image and/or Savage Conception?
Okay, the combo doesn't work; the sanctuary gives you 2 options: A) you search your library for a basic land (this is mandatory upon selecting), or B) you draw your card for the turn (also mandatory if you choose this option). there is nothing in the rules text that gives or implies to you the option of denying both. Also, the statement "I have failed to find a basic land" is a rather low (and blatantly cheat-faced) statement - as described above, if you choose one, you must execute the actions; also, according to my knowledge of the rules, if you did this in an event, you would be either promptly corrected or booted out entirely for that event.
Okay, the combo doesn't work; the sanctuary gives you 2 options: A) you search your library for a basic land (this is mandatory upon selecting), or B) you draw your card for the turn (also mandatory if you choose this option). there is nothing in the rules text that gives or implies to you the option of denying both. Also, the statement "I have failed to find a basic land" is a rather low (and blatantly cheat-faced) statement - as described above, if you choose one, you must execute the actions; also, according to my knowledge of the rules, if you did this in an event, you would be either promptly corrected or booted out entirely for that event.

Comprehensive Rules:

701.15b If a player is searching a hidden zone for cards with a stated quality, such as a card with a certain card type or color, that player isn’t required to find some or all of those cards even if they’re present in that zone.

Example: Splinter says “Exile target artifact. Search its controller’s graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that artifact and exile them. That player then shuffles his or her library.” A player casts Splinter targeting Howling Mine (an artifact). Howling Mine’s controller has another Howling Mine in her graveyard and two more in her library. Splinter’s controller must find the Howling Mine in the graveyard, but may choose to find zero, one, or two of the Howling Mines in the library.

It even says right on the Gatherer rulings for Elfhame Sanctuary

• 10/4/2004: The "if you do" means "if you search your library". You get to skip your draw step and shuffle your deck even if you don't find (or choose not to find) a basic land.

• 10/4/2004: Because the "search" requires you to find a card with certain characteristics, you don't have to find the card if you don't want to.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I don't understand the Memory Lost deck. Can someone give an in-game example how it all works?