Jund Devour Deck

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im trying to make a jund deck and this is and idea i have for it so far.

Lands: 21
4 Savage Lands
5 Mountains
5 Forests
5 Swamps
1 Akoum Refuge
1 Kazandu Refuge

Creatures: 20
2 Broodmother Dragon
4 Jund Battlemage
4 Sprouting Thrinax
2 Broodmate dragon 
2 Mycoloth
4 Rip-Clan Crasher
2 Predator Dragon

Spells: 19
4 Dragon Fodder
3 Jund Charm
2 Obelisk of Jund
2 Violent Ultimatum
2 Colossal Might
4 Terminate
2 Lavalanche

Is there anything i could change to make it any better? anything to add or take out?
If devour is your thing I would suggest caldera hellion  as it can sweep the board of weenie's and any of your creatures that it would kill you just devour to make it bigger! Some early disruption would also help, like say blightning  and another great creature would be bloodbraid elf  this provides a speedy creature and a free spell like blightning, sprouting thrinax, dragon fodder and the like!
Hello and welcome to the boards.  Before I get to your deck there is something very helpful you should know:  How to Autocard.  There are 2 versions

Version 1:
[*c]Lumberknot[*/c]
Remove the *s to get:
Lumberknot

Version 2:
[*deck]
1x Flayer of the Hatebound
2x Goblin Arsonist
1x Lumberknot
[*/deck]
Remove the *s to get:

Be sure to spell card names correctly or you get
[*c]Lumbernot[*/c]
Remove the *s:
Lumbernot

and similarly
[*deck]
1x Flyer of the Hatebound
2x Goblin Arsenist
1x Lumberknot
[*/deck]
Remove the *s to get:
[deck]
1x Flyer of the Hatebound
2x Goblin Arsenist
1x Lumberknot
[/deck]

Oh there's also some specialty stuff you can do too:

[*c=Ghoultree]Zombie tree o' doom[*/c]
remove the *s:
Zombie tree o' doom

and

[*deck=[*b]My Deck[*/b]]
2x Goblin Arsonist
1x Lumberknot
[*/deck]
remove the *s:
[deck=[b]My Deck[/b]]
2x Goblin Arsonist
1x Lumberknot
[/deck]

Onward, i'm going to go ahead and autocard your deck for you while I'm here:

[deck=Creatures]
4x Rip-Clan Crasher
4x Jund Battlemage
4x Sprouting Thrinax
2x Mycoloth
2x Dragon Broodmother
2x Predator Dragon
2x Broodmate Dragon
[/deck]

[deck=Non-Creatures]
4x Dragon Fodder
2x Colossal Might
4x Terminate
3x Jund Charm
2x Obelisk of Jund
2x Lavalanche
2x Violent Ultimatum
[/deck]

[deck=Lands]
4x Savage Lands
5x Mountain
5x Forest
5x Swamp
1x Akoum Refuge
1x Kazandu Refuge
[/deck]

First let me say I like your ratio of creatures to non-creatures, but you're a little light on lands.  24-12-24 is a pretty standard starting point for making a deck and 20-19-21 almost there when you consider of your 19 non-creatures 4 of them make creatures and 2 of them make mana.  You'll notice I swapped the order of cards around in your deck when I rewrote it.  That's for my convenience so I have an easier time keeping track of how much things cost to cast.  This ratio of 1-drop to 2-drop to 3-drop etc.. is what is referred to as a mana curve.  The curve is very flexible depending on the goal of the deck, but for the most part you usually want to be heavier on the 2-3 costing cards than in the other places.  I'm glad to see you managed to keep half of your creatures at cmc<=3.

Your deck is actually very reasonable and I only have a few suggestions for you really.

1)Bump your land count to 23.  I realize you have 2 mana producing non-creature cards in here, but when I'm counting up my mana sources I count mana producing spells as only half a mana source since I have to pay to get them out.  This way you end up with what I'd call an effective mana source count of 24 (23 lands plus 2 obelisks).  I'd cut the colossal mights for those two lands.  It's a great card, but with the creature token production and flying dragons you've got going on, it's the card that's doing the least for you in this deck.

2)Trade in some more non-basic lands.  I think you'd really benefit from a full playset of each of the refuges.  You have a *lot* of color intensity in the deck and so you're going to want a lot of color fixing.

Your non-creature selection is just fine, as for your creature selection though, I think we can do better in 1 particular slot.  On a quick side note though, I've noticed all of your cards except the refuges are from Alara block.  Were you looking to keep this Alara block constructed or are you willing to step outside of the block?

Rip-Clan Crasher, while she is a 2/2 haste for 2, she's going to feel underwhelming pretty quickly because haste is only relevant the turn she comes out and after that she's just a grizzly bear.  In block I think I'd consider replacing it with Tukatongue Thallid.  The goal for your deck is to get out a big devouring creature and while your waiting for that, make lots of tokens.  Thallid can either chump twice while you wait, or chump once and still have a saproling token that can be devoured later.  If we step outside of block I think I'd go for Nest Invader.

Ooh, I just remembered a great card for your deck if you don't mind going outside of Alara block.  Khalni Garden.

So I'm thinking a mana base that looks something like this:

[deck=Lands]
4x Savage Lands
4x Akoum Refuge
4x Kazandu Refuge
4x Khalni Garden
3x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Forest
[/deck]

If you can though, replace the refuges with Mossfire Valleys (or Karplusan Forests) and Shadowblood Ridges (or Sulfurous Springs) so that you can have them come into play untapped.  There are other, better dual lands, but they tend be more expensive to buy ($5+).

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

If you are aiming for a deck that abuses the devour ability, you need more stuff to devour. I like using Elemental Mastery although a lot of people will tell you that it is too risky. Another card I use is Hunting Triad. I would drop jund battlemage altogether. Also the best devour creature is Thunder-thrash elder and Mycoloth of coarse. I like Dragon Broodmother but the 3 red mana cost is bad in a 3 color deck. This is why I would also drop Predator Dragon. You only need 6 or so creatures with devour the rest of the deck should consist of token producers and a little control. Also a devour deck should not be complete with out evasion for your big guys. Rancor comes to mind, but personally I like to use Fling or even Soul's Fire or perhaps Rite of Consumption. I am not sure if your are focusing on devour or just spinkling it in so I am not sure exactly what advice to give.
Sign In to post comments