Devout Protector Expertise?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I keep reading about the Devout Protector Expertise feat in forum postings, but I cannot find it in the online Compendium anywhere...what's the deal?
I keep reading about the Devout Protector Expertise feat in forum postings, but I cannot find it in the online Compendium anywhere...what's the deal?

It's from Dragon 402 Tools of Two Trades article, but it was only finalized in January and hasn't hit the Compendium or CB yet.
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
Well, its certainly in there as of right now.  But funny thing is, it doesn't apply the bonus to Nimbus of Holy Shielding.  Seems wrong to me...NoHS has the Weapon keyword, and I'm using a one-handed melee weapon (Craghammer, NOT weilding in both hands).
What's the current reading of that feat now? I remember hearing they changed some of the things in that article after it was originally published, did DPE get changed?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

It did - all of your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC while you exist on the board and wield a one-handed weapon and shield. It doesn't affect any of your powers' effects.
What's the current reading of that feat now? I remember hearing they changed some of the things in that article after it was originally published, did DPE get changed?

Here it is, in full from the Compendium...

Devout Protector Expertise
Prerequisite: Proficiency with holy symbols
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.

...any ideas why its not adding the bonus to my Nimbus of Holy Shielding?

Well that is odd, I've got no idea why it doesn't work for Nimbus of Holy Shielding.

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with Mighty Crusader Expertise either. 
I think I know what the mistake is ...

NoHS is a Close Burst, and the builder seems to read the feat bonus as a bonus to melee weapon attacks and not attacks with a melee weapon, since it doesn't work for Strength of Ten (Questing Knight PP Power) and Knightly Intercession either.
Another problem seems to exist for magic items that can be used as implements (in this case holy symbols) as their attack bonus is also not correct. I got the right bonus when I unequipped the weapon and only had a holy symbol equipped.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg)

Here it is, in full from the Compendium...

Devout Protector Expertise
Prerequisite: Proficiency with holy symbols
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.

...any ideas why its not adding the bonus to my Nimbus of Holy Shielding?

Almost certainly a bug with the builder.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Not limited to those two feats either. I tried Two-handed Expertise and that didn't add the bonus either. Versatile Expertise did and I believ Staff Expertise did as well.
Sign In to post comments