Need some striker advice for a team

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am a DM for a group of players that had two seperate teams due to one group getting captured.  I had one player who had to return to her hometown for an unknown amount of time.

My players after saving their previous characters have decided to intermix the teams which I have no issue with.

The problem is that I have no striker in the party and they really need one.

The team is as follows:

Dwarven Earth Warden
Warforged Warrior Forge Artificer
Kalashatar Battle Cleric 
Shardmind Enchanter Wizard 
Wilden Swarm Druid 

I need a striker that will complament the team but also deals considerable damage.
  Something that can help hold the line with the Warden and Cleric.

The character will be an NPC basically but I will allow the players to roll for them. 

I was considering Ranger, Barbarian, or Monk but am seeking advice.     

The Slayer or Blackguard are both strikers that do very well as secondary defenders.
Are you looking for nova damage or DPR? Also beserker has a nice defender-striker hybrid role as a class, but honestly I think you just need a straight up striker with all that leading, controlling, and defending PCs you already have (still need a preference on dpr vs nova as well as ranged vs melee). For DPR I'd say avenger but for nova I'd go with a rogue or a ranger.
I would say slayer is your best choice since its probably the easiest to use on autopilot.  It can do decent damage with any player directing it and is reasonably tough.  Blackguard is similar enough in what it brings to be my second choice.  Thief also works and will do good, simple damage, but is not tough.

If you wanted to actually play the PC I would pick a barbarian or avenger since that is more interesting, but then you have to start worrying about things like keeping track of the different rages and keeping track of your oath benefits and target and those are more complicated to play.
Are you looking for nova damage or DPR? Also beserker has a nice defender-striker hybrid role as a class, but honestly I think you just need a straight up striker with all that leading, controlling, and defending PCs you already have (still need a preference on dpr vs nova as well as ranged vs melee). For DPR I'd say avenger but for nova I'd go with a rogue or a ranger.

I think Melee with DPR

I feel they need more of a front-liner than a shifter. 

The Slayer seem to have the defenses and DPR while the Ranger Nova would help.      
I think you might want to build an off-tank barbarian.  IME, the barbarian will draw enemies after him just because he looks dangerous.  (Make up an impressive mini!)  Do everything you can for +AC and +NADs; this will make him less complex.  If you pick your rages for defense buffs, all the better.

If this is going to be a companion character (per DMG3) you can simplify him even more.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

I feel like the barbarian is a skilled off-tanking character, but with limited versatility. I also see an importance of needing someone able to pull out the CHA based skills well. That takes me to either, barbarian, sorcerer or rogue. Any hybrid of these three would give you some ranged capability and allow your other front line PCs to shine when they can handle it, and this will allow you to get back and strike without endangering your striker. A Dragonborn Barbarian/Sorcerer with 18 in both STR and CHA can do wonders in many melee and ranged as well as have rather good AC rather quickly. May I ask what level your characters are? There are several more possibilities if this is paragon.

Avenger/(ranger) or Monk/(ranger) with power swapping can be pretty broken with a PMC and good feat selection.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Unless one of the players is going to play the striker, I'd just suggest that you either reduce monster hitpoints and increase monster damage, or give them some magic items that do something similar (there's a bell in one adventure that gives everyone in it's AOE a bonus to hit and a penalty to all defenses, for instance). Adding another character isn't going to speed up play, and adding a GMPC is almost always a bad idea.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />But before even that, I'd recommend you point out to the players that they're going to take a long time to kill things unless they invest heavily in damage dealing, and then allow them to swap out powers and feats as much as they want. 5 players all seeking to deal damage should do pretty well.
Avenger's are melee range and if you go retribution avenger vs pursuit avenger (essentaily stand and fight vs. chase the back line around) you can defenitely build one very tanky.  My human avenger started lvl 1 with 17 ac and 13,14,15 on the NADs plus abilities built off of encouraging enemies not to hit you or gaining a punishment if you they do.  the lvl 7 version of him I currently play is 22, 19, 20, 20 which puts him almost on par with our parties dedicated defender (battlemind) whose only better defense is his ac by 2.  There are plenty of feats you can take to beef up almost any striker into an off tank (impoved defenses and specifics like iron will).

Check out the slightly out of date but still informative Avenger's Handbook for some ideas.

*EDIT: added Avenger's Handbook link*
Sign In to post comments