03/14/2012 StF: "Getting a Job at Wizards"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

My girlfriend was thinking of moving to Seattle to finish up her master's degree in library sciences.  Her plan was to see if you guys had internships while she was there, as she's become quite addicted to the game since I introduced it to her a few years ago.  Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) she got accepted to her first choice grad school much closer to home.  Having an excuse to go visit her at work and play a round with you guys would have been a nice bonus for having to trek halfway across the country.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

As much as I would love a job in card design, I would rather work with the people that do the tournament video, video production being my profession and all....

However, I am fairly certain that they use video production houses in the tournament area....

I can still dream though....
I'm glad they had this discussion on the website for everyone who might be interested. I think that working with Wizard's would be a great labor of love indeed. I know what it is like to create something fun and see the enjoyment in other's eyes when they play with what you have made physical. I like the creative power of the mind taking form, that is held into being by rules that are made for whatever creation you have made. I can spend hours map making for a game or dreaming up how the world around would function. I supremely enjoy when Wizards takes interesting locales and cultures from around the world and weaves them into a plane of the multiverse with such flair and taste that you can imagine clearly in the mind's eye. When you take all the works of art and creativity and form them into a game called Magic, it truly is breath taking to see the wonder take form. It must be beyond measure of happiness to work so hard on a game for people to enjoy and then see it played all over the world. You get to see all the excited faces and all the emotions that come forth. Sheer joy that is put onto peoples faces from the game of Magic must be payment enough and incentment enough to keep doing it and making it over and over. That has to be one of the greatest jobs ever made.
Everyone should check out the following site:

multiverse.heroku.com

Created for making custom Magic sets, you can create and upload cards there.  Alex lets you browse cardsets, comment, and there's even advanced development features like a Set Skeleton.  Also there's tons of sets that you can browse, though most of them are either nowhere near playtestability or have too many cards for a set.  There's even several joke sets people have made.  Here are some of my favorites:

Winning

and

Super Progenitus

Also here's my cardset if anyone wants to browse it.  Comments/suggeustions welcome, the focus is for multiplayer drafting.

Also, to any official Wizardy types:  Pick Alex up as a developer!  He's really good and adding functionality to the site every once in a while.  If you wrap his site into your official one you could use it as a tool to pick up bright new talent for creative/design/development too!
Much to my dismay, being an United States citizen has been my biggest deterant. I'd gladly immigrate if I knew that there was a job in it for me, but yeah. Seems like a job at wotc would be par for the course for a guy who remembers his life, from seven/eight years to twenty-five years of age in terms of sets, standard decks, professional players' victories, and inquest covers. Oh well. One day, perhaps.
this article is proof that general degrees like history, journalism and philosophy are worthwhile majors. i'm a journalism grad and this article is one reason why it's a good idea to choose one of the above to major in. Also, good advice for any job seeker, whether at Wizards or elsewhere.