03/13/2012 SF: "Bear Hug"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Karona is the best choice here for two reasons. The first is that 5 colours gives you more options for cards then the other Commanders and getting the mana out shouldn't really be an issue. The second is, to my knowledge, nowhere in the Rules regarding a player taking 21 damage from a commander does it say you have to be the one controlling it. Give people a good reason to attack with her ([Card]Curiosity[/Card],[Card]Whispersilk Cloak[/Card] and one of the Vows to keep yourself safe spring to mind) and if you're lucky people won't notice she's killed them till its too late.
http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner
I've been a fan of Spiteful Visions in decks like this, although you obviously need access to both red and black. My Kaalia of the Vast deck uses a lot of Pestilence-style effects (including Pestilence Demon, naturally) so Spiteful Visions feels right at home.
Ka-Ro-Na.

End of discussion. =D

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I remember when Dale first started building his Group Hug deck.  It's great to see it featured here, since it has been a process years in the making!  I still have a foil proxy Time Walk that he made for me, so I can play with my graded beta.  Thanks, Dale!  You are the man!  

James in Tampa 
Since its errata, Lifeline would be GREAT as a Hug card, in both cases.

It is like infinite recursion and gets even better with cards like Avatar of Slaughter, Boldwyr Heavyweights, and especially Nobel Benefactor with a way to get him into the graveyard every turn.
I'm a computer!

Help computer.

Good to see a reference to this ancient video; kudos to Adam Styborski.