PEACH The Beast from UBRS

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
PCs are 5-6 level 6s. The Beast is basically a Red Dragon with some Ettin features. The goal is to have a Standard difficulty encounter (it will be a solo Solo).

(edit: The ability scores may not line up exactly with the damage scores and I think I need to buff his armor. But I'm wondering about lethality.)

Thoughts?

"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Looks pretty good to me.  The only thing I would be concerned about is Frightful Presence.  Newer dragon designs have removed this ability and it could be real dangerous for a level 5-6 party.  If you want to keep it I would recommned reducing the attack bonus +7
Hmm. Perhaps lessening to a "Hit: The target is pushed 5 (3?)  squares" to get that WoW-like mass fear effect.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Hmm. Perhaps lessening to a "Hit: The target is pushed 5 (3?)  squares" to get that WoW-like mass fear effect.

That would work, you could add a conditioned liked dazed or weakended if you want it to be a little stronger
This monster isn't the centerpiece of the adventure so I don't want to throw the kitchen sink on him. I suspect with Double Actions he's already going to be the toughest thing they've battle in this dungeon, so far 

Thanks for the comments!
There is never any reason to use Claw - it may as well be pulled off the statblock. Or make claw worthwhile;
- Miss damage, or
- Attacks two creatures, or
- Forced movement, or
- Knocks prone, or
- Something else appropriate for the creature I'm not familiar with 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

There is never any reason to use Claw - it may as well be pulled off the statblock. Or make claw worthwhile;
- Miss damage, or
- Attacks two creatures, or
- Forced movement, or
- Knocks prone, or
- Something else appropriate for the creature I'm not familiar with 

How about making it a minor attack 

I assume Claw's purpose is to be used when both jaws are occupied by happless morcels (heroes).

Personnally, I'd change the Frightful Presence to a Great Roar of some kind. Have it push all creatures by a massive amount (5+), deal thunder damage and be a minor action (to be followed by a charge !)

Stun is not fun.

Claw was an artifiact of the dragon-ness (I believe the dragon could double attack with the claw) but this is superceded by the ettin-ness double initiative. I think Movanic has the right idea though, Claw when the jaws are occupied.

The current version has the Frightful Presence as a push 5 and keeps the -2 penalty (because you're afraid, of course). Stun can be very brutal indeed.

When you roll low, issues of balance tend to be moot.

The comment was made that it felt like a core hound though, so I guess mission accomplished.

Now to go make Rend hopefully more of a challenge...