Solo Play or nothing...what do you do?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I live in a remote area and don't have anyone to play with. Online is okay, but it's not the same. I like to roll the dice. I was wondering what any of you might do with this problem of having to play DnD by yourself. I have let the dice dictate where I go and what I do, but I still know what's around the corner because I have to read the material. What do you do?

I have seen this site that is launching a solo game that pits you against the computer. I guess the computer is like the DM/GM. It's called Dark Dominion.

Anyway, I would like to hear of any ideas of what you might do.

Thanks in advance.
I've been looking for the same thing, but more because I've only played D&D or any tabletop rpg a handful of times and am probably older than the average gamer.  I'll definitely be checking out Dark Dominion when it launches.

I did happen to come across this page the other day:

rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/792/do-s...

Thanks Rendrig. Those are some interesting links.
Basically there are two options:

1: Focus on the encounters. For this you could roll for random mosters and create random terrains and just role for both sides. This way you kind of have a single-player board game on your hands. Might be fun if you're into that sort of thing. Also, the DMG2 has some pointers for this kind of play (look for the chapter on playing without a DM)

2: Focus on the roleplaying. But honestly of you want this it's often better to roll up a character and just write a story about him. The story might even be good too if you made an interesting character and world.

--------------------------
Other then that:

1: Play a video game, you get the story and the fighting and it's usually better than what you thought up youself

2: find a second player and run a solo campaign for that player. I personally believe this might be the best option. You get the real D&D experience without really needing the entire group.
I'm afraid my best suggestions are all going to be things like "Skyrim" and "Fallout: New Vegas" if you really do want to play single-player.

However, you say you live in a "remote area" - is there literally nobody else around?  You might be surprised at who's willing to give the game a try for an afternoon, if you ask - it's not like it takes more time than a movie night or a poker game, so most people are willing to try it, once.

Pre-make the characters, emphasing simple, iconic characters.  Rip off Lord Of The Rings wholesale if you want to.  Don't worry too hard about the mechanics.

And then, just make sure you're excited about it, you make sure to say "yes, roll it" when people come up with something to try, and you might have made some fans.

If you don't want to play D&D online with people using Maptools or something, then for single-player, again, my best suggestion is a video game.

(Oblivion and Fallout are often on sale for very cheap, on Steam.  I'm just saying.)
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.