hexproof, regenerate, death touch and instant priority

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
what goes through hexproof?

how can i use regenrate to save my monsters? is it only for combat damage? should it be used premtively on my opoonents turn or cna I stall to use it as a counter? can it stop cards that destroy all creatures or cards like doom blade that single one card out for destruction?

can hexproof prevent death touch? what counters death touch besides a good first strike monster?

do some abilties take priority over others in the stack? EX: a royal asassin went to destroy my creature with his tap ability so icountered with rangers guiles ( gives unit +1/1 and hexproof) yet my monster still died. why is that?  
1- Hexproof means your opponent can not target the permanent. It can still be targeted by you and affected by things that do not have the word target in them.
2-Regenerate makes a "shield". You need to activate the ability before lethal damage is dealt to the creature by combat or a spell. Generally when the damage spell is on the stack or during the declare blockers stage of combat.
3- Regenerating stops all damage based "kills" it also stops most modern "Destroy" effects like doom blade although older things like terror stop it. It also does not stop sacrifices or -1/-1 effects and counters.
4- Deathtouch is only beaten by first strike (assuming the death toucher doesn't have it) indestructibility and regeneration.
5- the stack works in a last on first off system. Nothing can take priority over other things once on the stack. For your specific example I think your creature dies as the assassin targeted when it was legal to do so. However it might be a good idea to check in the rules forum to make sure i'm right. Or just try it online where the rules engine will make sure it works right.

Edit: As usual I let mtgo do too much of my rules thinking. I realy need to learn the reasoning behind some of the rules.

I hope that covers everything

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

for point 2:

if someone plays shock ( 2 damage) on my creature to kill it   can i then respond with regenerate to stop it?

if i am blocking a creature  such as a 1/1 creature and I'm using a   1/1 to kill them both can i regenerate to kill the opponent but save my monster?
for point 2:

if someone plays shock ( 2 damage) on my creature to kill it   can i then respond with regenerate to stop it?

if i am blocking a creature  such as a 1/1 creature and I'm using a   1/1 to kill them both can i regenerate to kill the opponent but save my monster?

For both of those points.  If you use the regeneration ability then it will save your creature.

You need to activate the ability in response to your opponent's shock and during the declare blockers step, respectively, for each of those situations.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
will the opponets creature still die though?

No, regeneration removes the creature from combat.

Here is the entirety of the rules for regeneration: "The next time ~this would be destroyed, instead tap it, remove all damage, and remove it from combat." Note that "destroy" has a specific meaning in Magic; a creature is destroyed if it has lethal damage (including from deathtouch) or a spell/effect says "destroy". Creatures with zero toughness, sacrificed, or subjected to the "Legend Rule" cannot be prevented by regeneration.

Also, the answer to the Royal Assassin question above is incorrect. The legality of triggers is checked again on resolution, so if a target is illegal on resolution, the ability should be countered.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
But wait.... The original question was:

"if i am blocking a creature  such as a 1/1 creature and I'm using a   1/1 to kill them both can i regenerate to kill the opponent but save my monster?"

That's not worded very clearly, but I think the situation is this:

Opponent attacks with a 1/1
He blocks with a 1/1
He activates the regeneration ability on his 1/1, which sets up the prevention shield (don't forget to activate it before the combat damage step!)
In combat damage step - both creatures will deal 1 damage to each other simultaneously
Normally they would both die here due to having both taken 1 damage, but instead the regeneration of his 1/1 blocker will trigger: all combat damage is removed from it, it's tapped, and it's removed from combat
But it has already dealt its one damage to the attacker, so the attacker dies

But wait.... The original question was:

"if i am blocking a creature  such as a 1/1 creature and I'm using a   1/1 to kill them both can i regenerate to kill the opponent but save my monster?"

I was responding to his follow-up question in post #3, where his opponent shocks his creature before combat damage. Though perhaps I misunderstood the question.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

No, regeneration removes the creature from combat.

Here is the entirety of the rules for regeneration: "The next time ~this would be destroyed, instead tap it, remove all damage, and remove it from combat." Note that "destroy" has a specific meaning in Magic; a creature is destroyed if it has lethal damage (including from deathtouch) or a spell/effect says "destroy". Creatures with zero toughness, sacrificed, or subjected to the "Legend Rule" cannot be prevented by regeneration.

Also, the answer to the Royal Assassin question above is incorrect. The legality of triggers is checked again on resolution, so if a target is illegal on resolution, the ability should be countered.

for some reason royal asassin's ability went through my ranger's guile (+1/1 and hexproof till EOT) when i chained it to the ability activation.

the info in regenration has been insightful I'll be playing around with it more.      
Bubba is right, if your guy has Hexproof he can't be targeted by Royal Assassin.  This is true for the Assassin's ability on activation and resolution.  It could be that there's a bug with that partcular group of cards you used, or you didn't activate the hexproof ability at the right time.  Your last chance is when the Assassin's ability is on the stack.
another weird occurence just happened.

I played autumn's veil in response to black sun zenith yet it still went and wiped out all my creatures  
another weird occurence just happened.

I played autumn's veil in response to black sun's zenith yet it still went and wiped out all my creatures  

the reason is black sun's zenith doesn't target.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Sign In to post comments