Infect / Control Deck (advice needed)

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
The main idea for my deck is to poison my opponent with strong, practicly unblockable creatures so he gets massive amounts of counters in one hit. Having good defence to preserve my life while i gather mana for my bombs and tutor cards to get them from my library. All that while controlling what comes onto the battle field with destroy spells, counter spells and cards that destroy permanents. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

Main Deck

Lands

2x Inkmoth Nexus
1x Drowned Catacomb
7x Island
16x Swamp

Total: 26

Creatures

2x Blighted Agent
2x Plague Stinger
2x Hovermyr
2x Wall of Tanglecord
1x Leaden Myr
2x Alloy Myr
1x Palladium Myr
1x Manor Gargoyle
1x Reaper of Sheoldred
1x Sengir Vampire
1x Steel Hellkite
1x Rune-Scarred Demon

Total: 17

Other spells

4x Phyresis
3x Doom Blade
2x Geth's Verdict
3x Mana Leak
1x Mycosynth Wellspring
1x Accorder's Shield
1x Tumble Magnet
2x Diabolic Tutor 
1x Lux Cannon
1x Batterskull
1x Argentum Armor
1x Sorin's Vengeance
1x Elbrus, the Binding Blade (this card transforms into - Wthengar Unbound )

Total: 22

Grand Total: 65

Sideboard

1x Hex Parasite
1x Dragon's Claw
2x Angel's Feather
4x Cancel
1x Volition Reins
6x Island

Total: 15

Ok so i know i have 65 cards in my deck. Recomendations on what to remove would be appreciated.

dude i really like your deck! i run an infect deck too but mines stilll under ALOT of work. but it looks good in my opinion. the only thing i know to add would possibly be Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon.  but other than that it looks good. 
dude i really like your deck! i run an infect deck too but mines stilll under ALOT of work. but it looks good in my opinion. the only thing i know to add would possibly be Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon.  but other than that it looks good. 

Thanks allot! Yeah im actually looking for that card, my local card shop doesnt have any right now
yeah i went and bought i dont know how many packs and got one. he helps alot. he's on my little trade list wherever it is. but hmm..i see you have diabolic tutor. have you thought about demonic tutor? its a cheaper mana costing version of diabolic. 
yeah i went and bought i dont know how many packs and got one. he helps alot. he's on my little trade list wherever it is. but hmm..i see you have diabolic tutor. have you thought about demonic tutor? its a cheaper mana costing version of diabolic. 

And it isn't standard-legal.
really? damn i had no idea. lol
he's on my little trade list

Maybe we could trade, where u from?

haha i'm from the not so beautiful state of TN. haha what about you?
haha i'm from the not so beautiful state of TN. haha what about you?

Montreal, Canada hehe kind of far from you
I'd try to take out the creatures without infect, and add multiple copies of Phyrexian Crusader and Phyrexian Vatmother. I'd cut Phyresis, and probably use Corrupted Conscience instead.
I'd try to take out the creatures without infect, and add multiple copies of Phyrexian Crusader and Phyrexian Vatmother. I'd cut Phyresis, and probably use Corrupted Conscience instead.

I have Phyrexian Vatmother in my collection but i kind of find it stupid that i give myself poison counters. Thanks for the advice

I have Phyrexian Vatmother in my collection but i kind of find it stupid that i give myself poison counters. Thanks for the advice

You should listen to that advice. Phyrexian Vatmother is most definitely worth including in your deck. I run one Vatmother main in my infect deck, and another pair of them in the sideboard to bring in against red decks. These girls are absolutely amazing against red. Their 5 toughness puts them just out of range for most of the common burn spells you'll find running around, often forcing the opponent to crack a Shrine of Burning Rage to deal with it. This favors you in two ways: first, they're killing the creature that's poisoning you to death (so they don't get poisoned to death first), and second.. they aren't using that Shrine against you.

Last FNM, I ran into a mono-red Vampire/Bloodthirst/Burn deck. Got smoked in the first game because I couldn't get my infect guys on the board long enough to do anything and he cracked two Shrines on me. Second game I sideboarded in Spellskites and Vatmother and he couldn't get any damage through. Vatmother crushed his defense, Phyrexian Crusader went through unscathed and Spellskites drew away all of his burn. The Shrines were the only thing he had that could kill my Crusaders but he had to use them against the Vatmother because none of his burn was strong enough to deal with it, and he couldn't even go after the Vatmother until he had dealt with the Spellskite first. It just worked very, very well.

Taking one poison per turn is a small price to pay for the ability to swing for four of your own. Combined with things like Phyrexian Crusader and Inkmoth Nexus to supplement the poison and Go for the Throat and Doom Blade to kill potential blockers, the game can be over very quickly, particularly if you have good equipment to throw on your guys.

You should listen to that advice. Phyrexian Vatmother is most definitely worth including in your deck. I run one Vatmother main in my infect deck, and another pair of them in the sideboard to bring in against red decks. These girls are absolutely amazing against red. Their 5 toughness puts them just out of range for most of the common burn spells you'll find running around, often forcing the opponent to crack a Shrine of Burning Rage to deal with it. This favors you in two ways: first, they're killing the creature that's poisoning you to death (so they don't get poisoned to death first), and second.. they aren't using that Shrine against you.

Last FNM, I ran into a mono-red Vampire/Bloodthirst/Burn deck. Got smoked in the first game because I couldn't get my infect guys on the board long enough to do anything and he cracked two Shrines on me. Second game I sideboarded in Spellskites and Vatmother and he couldn't get any damage through. Vatmother crushed his defense, Phyrexian Crusader went through unscathed and Spellskites drew away all of his burn. The Shrines were the only thing he had that could kill my Crusaders but he had to use them against the Vatmother because none of his burn was strong enough to deal with it, and he couldn't even go after the Vatmother until he had dealt with the Spellskite first. It just worked very, very well.

Taking one poison per turn is a small price to pay for the ability to swing for four of your own. Combined with things like Phyrexian Crusader and Inkmoth Nexus to supplement the poison and Go for the Throat and Doom Blade to kill potential blockers, the game can be over very quickly, particularly if you have good equipment to throw on your guys.

ill certainely try getting my hands on Phyrexian Crusader but i dont really want to remove Phyresis since i could enchant my strong monsters whith flying and win the game in like two turns. Im kind of hesitating for Phyrexian Vatmother because if im going against and agro deck, since she doesnt have frlying, she could be blocked pretty easily. Corrupted Conscience is deffinetly on my wishlist. Thanks alot for the advice
ill also be looking for Go for the Throat
ill certainely try getting my hands on Phyrexian Crusader but i dont really want to remove Phyresis since i could enchant my strong monsters whith flying and win the game in like two turns. Im kind of hesitating for Phyrexian Vatmother because if im going against and agro deck, since she doesnt have frlying, she could be blocked pretty easily. Corrupted Conscience is deffinetly on my wishlist. Thanks alot for the advice

Well, yes.. she can get blocked easily without evasion but unless their blocker has protection from black she'll kill almost anything that tries to block her, especially if she has something like a Runechanter's Pike or any given Sword in her hands. Eventually, they are going to run out of chump blockers. Meanwhile, all the rest of your guys go through because they are too busy dealing with the Vatmother.

Consider it well, at least for the sideboard. It really is that good against red decks.
Yeah your right, thanks
Why are you mixing damage types here? That is the worst thing you can do with infect decks, add creatures WITHOUT infect to it. Really you're only hurting youself and when you mix damage types your opponent might as well start out with 30 life. phyresis should be removed, it isn't as good as it seems, and since nearly 100% of your creatures should have infect anyway, it becomes irrelevent/useless. also just to clarify vatmother is worth the counters, for sure. odds are you opponent isn't playing infect, so what does it matter if you have 6 poison counters? It may not be the best infect card ever, but it certainly isn't the worst. Lost Leonin Ogre Menial Shriek Raptor Contagious Nim
False, black bear.
Why are you mixing damage types here? That is the worst thing you can do with infect decks, add creatures WITHOUT infect to it. Really you're only hurting youself and when you mix damage types your opponent might as well start out with 30 life. phyresis should be removed, it isn't as good as it seems, and since nearly 100% of your creatures should have infect anyway, it becomes irrelevent/useless. also just to clarify vatmother is worth the counters, for sure. odds are you opponent isn't playing infect, so what does it matter if you have 6 poison counters? It may not be the best infect card ever, but it certainly isn't the worst. Lost Leonin Ogre Menial Shriek Raptor Contagious Nim

If I attack with a creature that has 6/6 with infect my opponent get 6 poison counters in one blow, thats why I want strong creatures and Phyresis.
And Phyresis one cost 2 mana to play where as Currupted Conscience costs 4 and i already have allot of high cost cards. The other creatures i have that dont have infect are mostly to generate mana.
And Phyresis one cost 2 mana to play where as Currupted Conscience costs 4 and i already have allot of high cost cards. The other creatures i have that dont have infect are mostly to generate mana.

Corrupted Conscience is 4 CMC, but it serves two purposes. First, it takes a potential blocker away from your opponent which lets more of your infect creatures get through. Second, it gives the creature you steal infect so that it synergizes well with the rest of your deck, potentially making one of your opponents biggest threats (say, an Inferno Titan) a very real danger to them.

I don't run Conscience main, but I have a pair in the board to side in against decks that run things like Inferno Titan, Wurmcoil Engine, and Lady Gaga.

Edit: For comparison to your deck, my own Infect runs 11 creatures. Those are, in no particular order:
4x Blighted Agent
4x Phyrexian Crusader
1x Phyrexian Vatmother
2x Spellskite

In addition to those, I have four copies of Inkmoth Nexus.

My sideboard has 2 more copies of Vatmother and another Spellskite.

Corrupted Conscience is 4 CMC, but it serves two purposes. First, it takes a potential blocker away from your opponent which lets more of your infect creatures get through. Second, it gives the creature you steal infect so that it synergizes well with the rest of your deck, potentially making one of your opponents biggest threats (say, an Inferno Titan) a very real danger to them.

I don't run Conscience main, but I have a pair in the board to side in against decks that run things like Inferno Titan, Wurmcoil Engine, and Lady Gaga.

Edit: For comparison to your deck, my own Infect runs 11 creatures. Those are, in no particular order:
4x Blighted Agent
4x Phyrexian Crusader
1x Phyrexian Vatmother
2x Spellskite

In addition to those, I have four copies of Inkmoth Nexus.

My sideboard has 2 more copies of Vatmother and another Spellskite.

Yea i totally agree, ill for shure add two Currupted Conscience in my sideboard but Phyresis plays an important role in my deck as it is.
spellskite is pretty sweet. and i need more inkmoth nexus for shure
Ah infect, either slow, or fast.

As control, you probably want the slow route, through getting one poison in through cards like Virulent Wound, Contagion Clasp, even the creatures themselves. Also, if you like sacrificial effects and gaining life, Tribute to Hunger is a very nice card.

Number one advice on infect, it's either one, or the other. With infect you go all in, or nothing. As control, I would think Runechanter's Pike is very nice indeed, and if things even hittign the field cause you issues, there is the options of Despise and Distress.

I think for cutting, I'd do away with alot of the heavier equipment, like Elbirus, Phyresis for sure, maybe the "mana fix" creatures like your myrs and definately cut The Wall
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Thanks alot for the advice! you mentioned some great cards
The only reason why i have phyresis is because there arent much strong infect creatures so i enchant my  stronger creatures with it.
The only reason why i have phyresis is because there arent much strong infect creatures so i enchant my  stronger creatures with it.

I understand your reasoning for including Phyresis, but there are just better options for a deck like this. Infect creatures don't necessarily have to be strong, since you only need to get 10 poison counters on your opponent.

Your deck is 65 cards, which is 5 cards too many. Your deck is listed as U/B Control/Infect. Wall of Tanglecord has no place in this deck. Hovermyr has no place in this deck. Leaden Myr, Alloy Myr, and Palladium Myr only serve as (questionable) ramp cards and in total account for only four cards in your deck, which isn't reliable enough to serve as ramp.. and they serve no other purpose. Sengir Vampire and Steel Hellkite are too expensive for what you get out of them, even moreso when you consider you need Phyresis on them to make them work with your deck concept.

Mycosynth Wellspring serves no purpose in this deck. Accorder's Shield serves no purpose. Sorrin's Vengeance serves no purpose.

I'm not trying to be overly critical or mean in any way, but your deck really needs more focus. There are too many things in this deck that serve little to no purpose, and too much emphasis on getting out a fatty and putting Phyresis on it instead of getting out a fatty that already has Infect (such as Phyrexian Vatmother or Skittles), or getting out a cheap evasive critter like Blighted Agent and tossing some good equipment on them for some quick poison.

Try this link. It was a deck that was discussed here quite a bit not too long ago, and is a good example of what your deck is trying to accomplish. You can tweak and make adjustments to the list provided as you see fit. It should help you get some direction.
Thanks for the help man
Ill be posting an updated version of my deck, i made alot of changes following all your advice. I'm still waiting for a couple cards like dual lands, Skittles and Phyrexian Crusader