What is your favorite D&D-based entertainment?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, so I was curious what people's favorite D&D-based entertainment is that isn't actually D&D. Is it a webcomic, like Order of the Stick, or Goblins? Is it a game (like DDO or Heroes of Neverwinter)? One of the novels? The old cartoon from the 80's?

Share!
Hmmm... I have enjoyed all of the above. I would have to say that my favorite D&D-based entertainment has been non-D&D roleplaying games, because it uses the most directly-related aspect that I love about D&D. My favorite non-D&D games are/have been:

• Gamma World (4e the most, but all editions)

• Marvel Super Heroes RPG (the original TSR Jeff Grub version)

• Shadowrun (3e)

• Paranoia (all editions)

I loved the cartoon when it was on TV, and I have enjoyed watching it again with my son. I have also enjoyed the D&D movies, even the bad ones.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I absolutely love Order of the Stick. Burlew's a pretty amazing story teller to have squeezed so much drama and emotion of his characters!
it would probably have to be the novels for me. they're great by themselves but they also have tons of great character and plot ideas that i can use in game.
Hey all, so I was curious what people's favorite D&D-based entertainment is that isn't actually D&D.

These forums.

I absolutely love Order of the Stick. Burlew's a pretty amazing story teller to have squeezed so much drama and emotion of his characters!

Yeah, I have to say I'm a big fan of OotS myself. It was part of what inspired me to make my own webcomic.
Capcom's SHADOW OVER MYSTARA arcade brawler.

Fantastic execution of the D&D experience by Capcom as an arcade brawler with leveling up, gettin items, branching paths, and just plain fun gameplay.

Fantastic execution of the D&D experience by Capcom as an arcade brawler with leveling up, gettin items, branching paths, and just plain fun gameplay.

Most of your images don't work, but that looks pretty awesome. Surprised I never heard of it.
Neverwinter Nights - spent countless hours building adventures in that game and playing through community content.  Shame that it's never had a worthy successor.
Hm... that's a tough answer... I'm going to have to go with Unforgotten Realms.

Made my life. 
#1  Planescape: Torment

#2 Tower of Doom arcade game

#3 IDW comics    

Oh, man. Don't get me started on this game. I LOVED Shadows over Mystara to death back in the days. Funny enough, I actually found out about D&D through this game (and its prequel).  HASBRO, GIVE YOUR D&D VIDEO GAME RIGHTS TO CAPCOM! At the very least, we can get a re-release of those old arcade games through DLC. Maybe even a sequel!

OK, now I'm just hoping for too much...
In no particular order...

Neverwinter Nights - Never played with the online content or the campaign builder, but played the main story several times with different characters.

Dragonlance Novels - Started reading these before I started playing D&D, back in the late 80s.

DM of the Rings - Probably my favorite web comic, even though its story is concluded.

Blood & Magic - A weird little strategy PC game from the 90s.  Another game I played for hours on end.             

All around helpful simian

i'll second that. It's just great

Blood & Magic - A weird little strategy PC game from the 90s.  Another game I played for hours on end.             

Absolutely love this game.  It's weird that it's got a D&D logo on it.  I got it in the Forgotten Realms gamefest pack, and it has nothing to do with the Realms at all.  Weird.
The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change...
I listen to the Penny Arcade Podcasts all the time. They are hysterical.
Could I also throw in The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising ??
Hey all, so I was curious what people's favorite D&D-based entertainment is that isn't actually D&D. Is it a webcomic, like Order of the Stick, or Goblins? Is it a game (like DDO or Heroes of Neverwinter)? One of the novels? The old cartoon from the 80's?

Share!

The 80's cartoon, followed by the Gold Box Games.
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

Share!

Well since I was often too shy to find groups or ask friends to play D&D with me as a kid, I often read many of the D&D novels as a kid. I liked Neverwinter but I never cared for DDO. I also have played many D&D text-only muds online as well. I think I loved the muds more then I loved pay for play games like Everquest and World of Warcraft.  Diablo was always my favorite of the video games though, I always loved that dark fantasy horror satanic theme
For Video Games:

Baldurs Gate 2 for the PC.

The player modded version of Temple of Elemental Evil.

The hack and slash baldurs gate 1 and 2 games for the PS2 were fairly fun button mashers with well done levels and with the second one they had very noticably different PCs.  I mainly loved the item creation and am sad they never made a party of 4 version like they did with all those marvel games.

For books: I liked several of the non-standard dragonlance novels.  Did not like the original ones that much, but there was one that was about barbarians who lived near a good dragon who treated the local people like pets that was good I think called Barbarians of the Plains.  And there was a good series about someone who learned to become a red wizard, but I don't remember the title.

For TV/movies: the cartoon was not bad for an 80s cartoon.  I could only stand watching about the first 5 minutes of the D&D scifi movie.
I don't know if this all qualifies, but here goes...

1) Figurine painting. I have over 200. Dunno, haven't counted in at least a year.

2) Ren Fair. I have three costumes, and best has cost me at least $1200.

3) And then there's this band I started some years back. Costumes, stage show and all.
www.myspace.com/umberhulkmusic/music/son...
Sign In to post comments