Mono-Black Vampires (Modern Budget)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wanting to give Modern a shot for a little while now, but at least at first (while testing out the format) I want to keep things REALLY budget-friendly. (I tried posting in the appropriate forum, but that place is... dead.) Anyway, back in Zendikar block I played Vampires for a while, and so I already had most of these cards. Here's the decklist I've been testing with friends for a couple weeks now. Lemme know what ya think.

20 x Swamp

4 x Bloodghast
4 x Bloodthrone Vampire
4 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
2 x Guul Draz Vampire
4 x Kalastria Highborn
4 x Vampire Interloper
4 x Vampire Lacerator
4 x Viscera Seer

2 x Blade of the Bloodchief
4 x Feast of Blood
4 x Urge to Feed

I'm thinking of making room for a big finisher. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now for Vampire Nocturnus, so I was thinking either Bloodline Keeper, Malakir Bloodwitch, or Abyssal Persecutor.

I'm also a little clueless when it comes to sideboards, especially for a format I don't know much about yet. This is where the modern sub-forum would've come in handy, but again: dead. Vampire Hexmage seems like an obvious inclusion, and I was also thinking Blood Seeker would be good to bring in against decks running Splinter Twin / Deceiver Exarch or Murderous Redcap. But besides that I'm out of ideas.

Oh! And I really like the synergy Tragic Slip has with this deck, considering how often Morbid is activated. But I'm not sure it's better than either of the "tribal" removal spells I've got in the deck currently. And between those and Gatekeeper of Malakir, I'm not sure the deck needs any more removal. Thoughts?
Alright, well after doing a bit of testing I've found that the deck doesn't have enough ways to disrupt my opponent's plans. So, I've narrowed the creature list down to the following to make more room for instants, sorceries and enchantments, and now I just have to figure out what those should be. I still want to keep the 2 Blade of the Bloodchief and 4 Urge to Feed. The Feast of Blood could probably go, though.

2 x Abyssal Persecutor
4 x Bloodghast
3 x Bloodthrone Vampire
2 x Gatekeeper of Malakir (Another two in the Sideboard, probably.)
4 x Kalastria Highborn
4 x Vampire Lacerator
3 x Viscera Seer 
Well, this is a little frustrating. Anyway, I tested the deck s'more today and have settled on this for the non-creature spells:

2 x Blade of the Bloodchief

4 x Duress
3 x Sign in Blood
3 x Smother
2 x Tragic Slip
4 x Urge to Feed
Alright, well I'll give this one more shot at getting some feedback. Here's the final decklist, modified slightly from what's above, as well as the sideboard.

Land:
4 x Marsh Flats
12 x Swamp
4 x Verdant Catacombs

Creatures:
2 x Abyssal Persecutor
4 x Bloodghast
3 x Bloodthrone Vampire
2 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 x Kalastria Highborn
4 x Vampire Lacerator
3 x Viscera Seer

Artifacts:
3 x Blade of the Bloodchief
2 x Mortarpod

Spells:
4 x Duress
2 x Geth's Verdict
3 x Sign in Blood
4 x Tragic Slip

Sideboard:
4 x Blood Seeker
2 x ?
2 x Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 x Leyline of the Void
4 x Vampire Hexmage
the newest list looks much more promising to me. disrupting your enemy's plan is key in modern cause from what i see there are plenty of decks tailored to mess with creature based strategy. You have to be able to answer alot of different situations in modern since theres such a large card pull and many ways to mess your day.

the best way to tweak your deck is to think to yourself about how u plan to win and design your deck to support that plan. unfortunately there are a lot of hoser 4 small creature decks so discard is necessary as you've learned. Aggro decks (or any small creature based deck) should have a curve to follow that consistently can produce early game wins (4ish turn) if undisrupted, and a plan 4 when that disruption comes.

I don't have any specific comments about what to change though i don't plan enough modern but u might have to splash another color if you continue to have troubles with your deck plan. But lashwrithe might show to be a better choice then blade of the bloodchief.

Good luck buddy
Thanks!

I go back and forth on Lashwrithe for this deck. On the right creature, Blade of the Bloodchief stacks up counters real fast. But yeah, then as soon as that creature dies, it's back to square one. I'll playtest with Lashwrithe a bit before making my final decision.

So far I've only been testing this deck with my friends, and it's been a pretty casual environment for the most part. A week from tomorrow I'll be bringing this deck to its (and my) first Modern tournament, so we'll see. I don't expect it to do good, by any means. From what I've seen of Modern I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take home any wins. Like you said, there's a whole lot of small creature hate running around the format right now. But I want to try it out, and I think this is a decent enough deck to bring for my first time and test the waters with.

Depending on how things go, I might later switch this over from combo Vampires to beatdown and use cards like Vampire Interloper, Vampire Nighthawk, and Vampire Nocturnus. But we'll see.
Well hello, I also like vampires so I will share my thoughts.
One of the questions that I have is why all the crack lands? Its seems to be a little much for just bloodghast, now if you were running vampire nocturnus  I could understand using them for a way to shuffle your deck and try to get a black card on top, but 8 does seem a bit much. One option I like, is to use quicksand  maybe in place of some of your crack lands as an additional way to deal with creatures while in the mean time still a source of mana.  Also urge to feed  seems a bit underwhelming as well. I have used it and it is fun but very situational, and you have blade of the bloodchief  for counters which is better for that purpose.  I glad to see you removed feast of blood, great card but sorcery speed killed it. What I may suggest is go for the throat, great card, it is what I replaced my feast of bloods with. As for the urge to feeds, you could use dismember, which is something that was suggested to me. It flat out kills more stuff and can be used with only 1 mana if necessary. To counteract the life lost, I would highly suggest a playset of vampire nighthawk, he is just to good to not use and doesn't cost so much $!

What I may suggest removing would be your tragic slips and urge to feeds in place of above suggested removals. That way you don't really need the mortarpod  to support your morbid mechanic which frees up some room for the nighthawks.  I understand that tragic slip  is a good card but is need support and you don't want your deck to try and do so much.

Hope this helps or gives you food for thought!
Thanks, those are good suggestions. You're right about Vampire Nighthawk; it's a beast of a card. The problem is that this deck works more like a combo deck. Of the 22 creatures I'm running, only 6 of them are not directly related to that combo. (And even those other six have at least some synergy with everything else that's going on. Gatekeeper of Malakir fuels Blade of the Bloodchief, and Vampire Lacerator is an easy pick for the first sacrifce.) So, unfortunately, there just isn't a lot of room for big, strong creatures like that.

And because of all the sacrificing that's going on, I can pretty much have Morbid activated any time I want, so Tragic Slip is actually probably the best removal spell I could choose for this deck, to the point that I'm thinking of cutting two Urge to Feed in order to run a full playset. You are definitely right about Urge to Feed, though. That card looks a whole lot better than it tends to be in practice. I might end up cutting all of them, which would free up two more slots for... something else. Not sure yet.

Edit: Yep. Switched out the Urge to Feed for two more Tragic Slip and two Geth's Verdict. Seems much better this way. And Geth's Verdict is nice, 'cause I can use it against myself to get rid of Abyssal Persecutor in a bind. There seem be enough sacrifice outlets, so I doubt that will ever happen, but still I like that I have the option.
Sign In to post comments