Blink Thief

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just was hoping for some feedback and suggestions for this new character I am creating for a new campaign.  We are starting at level 14 and get 1 free expertise feat.  Items are based off level 14 character creation rules.

The concept is to have near constant CA and not use frost cheese the DM doesn't allow it.  Plus being able to teleport basicly at will.  Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kahler, level 14
Eladrin, Thief, Traveler's Harlequin
Eladrin Subrace: Standard Eladrin Racial Traits
Gritty Sergeant Benefit: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Background: Gritty Sergeant (Gritty Sergeant Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 9, Dex 24, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 8, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 28 Fort: 20 Reflex: 27 Will: 22
HP: 86 Surges: 5 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +12, Stealth +19, Thievery +19, Bluff +12, Perception +15, Acrobatics +19, Athletics +14, Insight +15, Arcana +16, Endurance +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, History +11, Intimidate +7, Nature +10, Religion +9, Streetwise +7

FEATS
Traveler's Harlequin: Battle Awareness
Level 1: Surprising Charge
Feat User Choice: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Backstabber
Level 4: Nimble Blade
Level 6: Blade Initiate
Level 8: Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Light Blade) (retrained to Fey Gambit at Level 11)
Level 11: Fey Charge
Level 12: Deft Blade
Level 14: Mark of Passage

POWERS
Thief utility 1: Tactical Trick
Thief utility 1: Unbalancing Trick
Thief utility 2: Agile Recovery
Thief utility 4: Ambush Trick
Thief utility 6: Sneak in the Attack
Thief utility 7: Acrobat's Trick
Thief utility 10: Acrobat's Escape

ITEMS
Incisive Dagger Dagger +3, Vanguard Rapier +3, Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Marauder's Leather Armor +2, Horned Helm (heroic tier), Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier), Talon Amulet +1

Thanks

Just so your aware, Eladrin Swordmage Advance doesn't work with the updated version of Fey Charge. That means you probably aren't getting a heck of a lot out of the Swordmage multiclass. Same goes for Fey Gambit. You probably want Surprising Charge in place of one of those for an extra 1W.
Just wondering which errata fixes that so i can see it.
You can find it in the updates for Martial Powers. As you can see, the change was specifically to break the synergy with ESA and Fey Gambit. 

Fey Charge

Page 143: In the first sentence of the Benefit entry,
replace “use” with “expend.” This change clarifies
that a character who has Fey Charge is not actually
using fey step when making the charge and thus does
not gain the benefit of features or feats like Eladrin
Swordmage Advance or Fey Gambit. Instead, the
power is treated as a resource that is traded for the
ability to teleport as part of the charge.

Benefit: When you charge, you can expend your
fey step racial power as a free action to replace up to 5
squares of your charge movement with teleportation.
If the charge attack hits, you do not expend fey step.

You also probably need to look into doing something for your Fort and Will. One of the freed up feat slots should go to Improved Defenses and you probably want to downgrade or dump your offhand weapon for a better neck slot item. 
I'd drop Strength in favor of Constitution, take up Scoundrel Training, get a Subtle Rapier, forget about that dagger (Rhythm Blade +1, perhaps?) , and get some decent leather as well as a +3 neck Item.

Forget about teleports, and just shift your way accross the battlefield.
The most common way to get at-will teleport is by MC Warlock and taking ethereal sidestep (u10 I believe) power swap and then adding teleport boosters.
Not sure how useful that is for a Thief though, since they typically need their Move actions for Tricks.
Well you could use the tricks that allow you to shift (I think some do that) and hold a staff of the traveller in your off hand (would require you to multiclass in an arcane class with the staff implement or stay as an eladrin and use the alternate race ability for saff prof).  That allows you to change shifts to teleports and then you can add teleport boosters.  Then you get your tricks and teleports.
Ghost Blade and Ghostwalker might be PPs you'd be interested in, as well as the excellent Evermeet Warlock. Another way to get your teleports and tricks too is to Dilettante Fallen Needle from Monk and use the minor action shift with the Staff of the Traveler. Monk can also give you a few other nice shift powers that become nice teleport powers.
Have you given the eladrin warlock|executioner any thought ? Seems to fit your concept.
The sneaky staff feat, eladrin staff implement proficiency, and a staff of the traveller could enable a lot of teleporting and +2, 1d8 isn't entirely pathetic for a thief weapon. Light Blade support is still substantially superior, but you wouldn't be laughed out of most tables, particularly of your DM is banning frost cheese (which, while a popular form of cheese, isn't actually that powerful compared to the real cheese)
In short: if you're an Eladrin, and can get proficiency for free anyway, SotTraveller is something you hold in your off-hand in order to set up your charges, whilst using your Rapier in your main hand to actually hit with.

It's a useful utility item, but not a weapon a Thief should ever even consider using.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
+2/1d8 is entirely pathetic for a thief weapon, compared to the effective +7/2d8+1/2/3 you're passing up for the same investment.

Any staff build you make would be literally 40% more damaging with a rapier.

I'm not really disagreeing with you on that point, but we're kind of talking about different things.

The OP made it pretty clear (given that his DM has banned frostcheese) that this is a low-OP table.  

One of the things I do to retain my sanity when I'm playing with friends that are terrified of optimization is to choose something really, really sub-optimal, such as a staff thief, and then make it as viable as I can.  They give me significantly more flexibility in which powers/feats I choose than they'd give someone else who was going for a fully-optimized build.

And really, 40% lower is entirely within the expected range for a low-OP table versus a medium-OP table. 
Sign In to post comments