Rakish Heir and Curse of Stalked Prey

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a b/r vampire deck that runs both Rakish Heir and Curse of Stalked Prey.  If I attack with a vampire (such as Erdwal Ripper) that has the ability of gaining +1/+1 when they deal combat damage with an heir and stalked prey in play, will the vampire get 1 +1/+1 counter when it hits, or 3? Also, how does that stack with double strike?
Each ability triggers separately. In the case you give, the Erdwal Ripper will get three +1/+1 counters. If he had double strike, he would deal 2 damage, get 3 counters, then deal 5 damage, then get 3 more counters.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Rakish Heir
Curse of Stalked Prey
Erdwal Ripper

When Erdwal deals combat damage to a player, three abilities will trigger - the Rakish ability, the Curse ability and the Erdwal ripper. You can put them on the stack in any order you like (probably won't make a diff), and when they have all resolved it will end up with 3 +1/+1 counters. It's important to note that it's 3 separate abilities as your opponent would require 3 Stifle-like effects to stop them, rather than just one.

If the Ripper had double strike, he'd likely deal combat damage to the player twice - so each ability would trigger twice. If he were at his base 2/1 size, this would likely mean that he'd hit first for 2 damage, get 3 counters, then hit again for 5 damage (getting a further 3 counters), finishing the combat phase as an 8/7. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Thanks a lot guys! That's what I thought, which is why I built this deck, but a friend told me since the abilities are worded the same way, they only triggered once overall.