Obliterator Allure

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deadly Allure is my favorite artwork ever created by WotC.  It's interaction with Phyrexian Obliterator makes me happy.  Not much else to say at the moment, just view and critique if you will.

Maindeck:

[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
[deck] Land (24) 4 Blackcleave Cliffs 4 Dragonskull Summit 11 Swamp 5 Mountain Creatures (13) 4 Gravecrawler 3 Chandra's Phoenix 3 Falkenrath Aristocrat 3 Geralf's Messenger Spells (17) 3 Tragic Slip 2 Ratchet Bomb 2 Sphere of the Suns 3 Brimstone Volley 3 Arc Trail 3 Volt Charge 2 Devil's Play Planeswalker (5) 3 Liliana of the Veil 2 Chandra, the Firebrand Sideboard 4 Manic Vandal 2 Act of Aggression 4 Go for the Throat 2 Slagstorm 3 Grim Affliction [/deck]
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
[deck] 25x Swamp 4x Liliana's Specter 3x Scythe Specter 2x Dread 4x Quest for the Nihil Stone 4x Innocent Blood 4x Darkness 3x Words of Waste 4x Geth's Grimoire 2x Unnerve 2x Syphon Mind 3x Liliana Vess [/deck]
How to Auto...
Card
[c]Thraximundar[/c] = Thraximundar or [c=Thraximundar]Zombie[/c] = ZOMBIE
Deck
[deck] 20000 Ass Whuppin' [/deck] = [deck] 20000 Ass Whuppin' [/deck]
Bump. Really want some other opinions.
[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
[deck] Land (24) 4 Blackcleave Cliffs 4 Dragonskull Summit 11 Swamp 5 Mountain Creatures (13) 4 Gravecrawler 3 Chandra's Phoenix 3 Falkenrath Aristocrat 3 Geralf's Messenger Spells (17) 3 Tragic Slip 2 Ratchet Bomb 2 Sphere of the Suns 3 Brimstone Volley 3 Arc Trail 3 Volt Charge 2 Devil's Play Planeswalker (5) 3 Liliana of the Veil 2 Chandra, the Firebrand Sideboard 4 Manic Vandal 2 Act of Aggression 4 Go for the Throat 2 Slagstorm 3 Grim Affliction [/deck]
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
[deck] 25x Swamp 4x Liliana's Specter 3x Scythe Specter 2x Dread 4x Quest for the Nihil Stone 4x Innocent Blood 4x Darkness 3x Words of Waste 4x Geth's Grimoire 2x Unnerve 2x Syphon Mind 3x Liliana Vess [/deck]
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
have you made/playtested the deck or is this just an idea?
False, black bear.
have you made/playtested the deck or is this just an idea?

I have playtested a bit against W/B tokens, but other then that nothing else.  Tonight will be the big test, my group plays every friday and sunday nights.
[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
Cool, I'm interested to see how this deck would do.
False, black bear.
Pretty cool deck. One problem might be having so few targets for Deadly Allure. Plus giving deathtouch to wurmcoil isn't too exciting. This could probably be solved by adding a few more creatures. Something else that combos with Deadly Allure would be nice... though nothing comes to mind.

BTW, here's a high res version of the Deadly Allure art:
steveargyle.deviantart.com/art/Deadly-Al...

God this is hilarious.  I'm loving this so much.

I'll post results later tonight.

The cool part about deadly allure is I can ditch it to lili.  So, it's never persay a "dead card" in my hand.  The greatest thing i've found is i've been drawing into a T4 obliterator every game so far.

[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
I think Beast Within belongs in this deck, so you can make sure that your opponent has something to block Obliterator with.

Edit: Though, I'm not sure your current build could support it very well, with how few green mana sources are in it.
@rulesinquisitor

Beast Within would be fantastic, however I simply cannot put more green sources in so I always hit a t4 obliterator.  The small amount of green there is is simply to flashback Deadly Allure

@everyoneinterestedinthisdeck

This plays very well, I'm still fleshing out the board.  Defenitly running Nihil Spellbomb, it's been super valuable lately.  I also have never been too content with Forbidden Alchemy, thinking about switching it for Ponder or Tezzeret's Gambit (for BSZ and Lili).  It would feel better having more 1 drops, so I believe Ponder will be the answer.

I've also been thinking about throwing in 2x Havengul Lich in place of 2x Wurmcoil Engine, and adding 1 more Phyrexian Metamorph somewhere.  Gopher seems to be the deadest card surprisingly enough, and will be moved to the sideboard for more creature dominated matchup's.

Really a fun to play deck, I'm happy with how it has performed so far.

Playtested against:  Rites, Bu Zombies, BR Aristocrat, Grixis Heartless, Thalia Humans, and WB Tokens.

[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
I wish you could find ways to make more green so you could also play Prey Upon.

Whoa. Obliterator + Prey Upon Surprised

Too bad we can't run Bayou
Deadly allure pretty much does the same trick as prey upon, except you can use it twice.  Prey upon would simply be a dead card in my hand most of the time sadly, it's really cool but deadly allure seems to work better.

I'll post my updated build after playing tomorrow.   
[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
And this is why I tell people to run Wrack with Madness if they can. :D
And this is why I tell people to run Wrack with Madness if they can. :D

Why thank you for the compliment.  

Here's the updated decklist that i'll be playing tonight in a small home tournament my playgroup is having.  8 players in it.  I won't post what my sideboard looks like for tonight, since my meta is pretty different (2 wolf run, 2 pod, 1 BU Vengeance, 2 BW tokens) then what's being thrown around a lot of places.  Alteast I hope that's what they're playing.  :D

Obliterator Allure
[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck

I like the idea. Using Prey Upon forces any creature you want to do damage to your Phyrexian Obliterator, while your opponent could potentially just block with a 1/1 if you used Deadly Allure. The potential sacrifices your opponent would make because of Prey Upon are much higher than with Deadly Allure.

Also, as a side note, slapping a Lure on my Phyrexian Obliterator was one of the coolest moments of my Magic life...  The obvious problem is that Lure and Phyrexian Obliterator are both pretty mana intensive for their respective colors, making it much harder to pull off.

A more realistic suggestion would be Alluring Siren. Like Prey Upon, it lets YOU choose which of your opponent's creatures will be dealing damage to your blocking Obliterator, thus giving you more control over how much your opponent sacrifices. Plus you could use it over and over more than just twice provided your opponent doesn't kill it. Worth considering...

But in the end, it sounds like you like Deadly Allure because of how it functions as well as the flavor and art. Also, Deadly Allure fits in pretty well with all your card draw that dumps stuff into the graveyard and such.
Alluring Siren would be an interesting addition. 

Here's my notes i've found though,

If my opponent blocks only with a 1/1 flyer, still 4 damage gets through.  Having 2 Obliterators on the field (which happens usually), makes my opponent scramble for an answer since I can just keep swinging with 1 and holding the other back.  I also have SB 3 ratchet bombs to take care of the tokens.

I will defenitly try to play alluring siren, but surprisingly enough, I won our tournament last night.  Aggro is the only thing that gets frightening, but a t4 obliterator takes care of that quite well.  I didn't have to play against anything that aggro last night.

The thing I love about this deck is it is a control that also abuses my opponents resources.  It was hard to learn that in a control match-up, I do not have to drop that t4 obliterator, instead t6 became the normal turn that it came down.  Having lili also wrecks the ability of my opponent to have an answer once I have the obliterator out.  I hope someone else decides to sleeve this up and see how it plays for them. 
[sblock=Current Decks]
Standard
BR Aristocrat
Multiplayer!
Liliana Control
How to Auto...
Card
Deck
I really like this list tbh. It's straightforward and has lots of good MU. How do you deal with tempo disruption from vapor snag or enemy mana leak?

Me like. I think u/b is the way to go for sure, tho I may try it with a g/b build...hmm this is nice!