Question about "Weakened"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone. How do you guys handle the weakened condition as pertains to casters? I can definately see applying the half damage to spells as the character's mind being weakened as well as their body. Also, if you do apply the penalty to your caster's would you apply it to healing spells as well?
Weakened does what it says it does. The damage the character deals is halved, not counting ongoing damage or damage from attacks that don't involve attack rolls (like Magic Missile).

Healing powers do not deal damage, therefore they are unaffected by the Weakened condition.

From the Compendium, Weakened:
While a creature is weakened, its attacks deal half damage. However, two kinds of damage that it deals are not affected: ongoing damage and damage that isn’t generated by an attack roll.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I can definately see applying the half damage to spells as the character's mind being weakened as well as their body.

That's one of many ways to flavor it. Weakened could also mean disarmed, entangled, sickened, distracted, or a variety of other conditions. Flavor it whichever way makes the rules make the most sense to you.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

in 3.5 weakened generally means a -2 to all attack, damage and saves.  It's a temporary physical ailment not a mental one.  If you want the weakened to affect a caster, cause a reduction in the number of spells they can cast in a day.

I have come up with a couple of magic user ailments that cause headaches or constant ringing/buzzing in the ears.  These cause the PC to make concentration checks every time they cast with a 10% arcane failure and decreases the save on their spells.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

in 3.5 weakened generally means a -2 to all attack, damage and saves.  It's a temporary physical ailment not a mental one.  If you want the weakened to affect a caster, cause a reduction in the number of spells they can cast in a day.

I have come up with a couple of magic user ailments that cause headaches or constant ringing/buzzing in the ears.  These cause the PC to make concentration checks every time they cast with a 10% arcane failure and decreases the save on their spells.

In 4th Edition, "weakened" applies across the board and is therefore not defined as a strictly physical or mental condition. The players are encouraged to flavor it however makes sense for them in the situation. It could be a different effect every time. Abstraction is powerful.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Sign In to post comments