Is This Too Cheesy for Organized Play

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
community.wizards.com/johnnyblaise/go/ch...

Level 24 Hybrid Rogue-Ranger, MC Seeker, Master Infiltrator, Star Favored Champion

Schtick:
Do not heal yourself out of 0 hit points or fewer.  Not a problem because you have a +20 to death saves from Star Favored Champion.
Roll initiative.  With a +32 very likely to go first.

Start turn.  Superior Will, roll Daze save with a +8.  95% likelihood of not being dazed = 6 actions on your turn. 

Standard
: Miss with seeker power "elemental spirits" by closing my eyes and throwing my offhand parrying dagger (not proficient).  In subsequent rounds, miss with Avalanche of Fury instead.

Triggers: Star Favored Champion feature - can make basic attacks as minor actions.  Rebounding dagger Power: make a ranged basic attack.

All 5 other actions are used for ranged basic attacks.

So at the beggining of every fight, you make 6 ranged basic attacks.

All ranged basic attacks with dagger are at +38 vs. Reflex (with combat advantage from superior reflexes).  They all do 46+2d4 each (avg 51) except the first which does 5 less for lasting frost. 

End turn, make death save, deal necrotic damage to anything within 2 squares.

Total DPR: 300 in round one, 249 in all subsequent rounds.

There are also daily powers and action points for NOVA rounds.

PS: Mark of the Dark Moon usually active because you kill at least one creature turning invisible, plus Ghostly Visage and Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness = all damage recieved is (X-20)/4
I believe the option to 'blind' oneself applies a penalty till end of turn, not to just a single attack. Presumably to prevent such intentional miss shenanigans.
Yes. I've tried closing my eyes to get the miss effect with my lazy warlord and most judges wouldn't allow it, and my build was simply a lazylord. Anyway, how are you building this for level 24, when lfr can start at 11 at most? Living divine and AoA are low level campaigns.
... Yes. Yes it is.

Its an unkillable undead octopus. You can solo any adventure that doesn't have a magic room filled with an always crit field and twenty Balors. Getting Encounter nova damage at-will is hardly the worst thing about, besides the fact that it relies on some very cheesey rules interactions and something which can fall under bag of rats.

Did you even have to ask?
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
Yeah, you had me at "closes eyes".
Revenant, intentional missing, and Belt of the assclown. Yeah, you're covered.
This build is easy for an organized play judge to shut down based on the completely reasonable (and IMO correct) interpretation of Death's Quickening and Ghostly Vitality that they only allow you to take the minor and move actions that you would have otherwise not been able to rather than providing "extra" actions. And since the change to revenants in HoS, the feats are basically non-functional on their action portions since daze has it's own (easily bypassed) restrictions.

Show

Death's Quickening
If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain concious due to Unnatural Vitality, you can take a minor action in addition to the standard action Unnatural Vitality allows.

Ghostly Vitality
If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain concious due to Unnatural Vitality, you can take a move action and a minor action in addition to the standard action Unnatural Vitality allows. While you have 0 or fewer hit points, you gain insubstantial.

Niether feature says that grant you extra actions to take, they just grant you the ability to take actions you already have available but could not take due to Unnatural Vitality. Compare to the wording of action points which explicitly state you gain an extra action.

Put simply, it doesn't matter if I say you can take 6 apples if there are only 3 apples there to take.

So without the additional actions or eye closing? (Don't want to debate rules, just looking for opinions on when it becomes "too much").

And I've been playing him for three+ years now, not just making him at 24.
You also have an issue with staying under 1 hp. On your turn, as long as you have a healing surge, you automatically get a 20 on your death save. Which means you 'spend a surge' 
And once you are out of surges, anything that makes you lose a surge, such as an attack by some undead, you lose your surge worth of hp.  Two of those attacks and you would be dead without surges.
The death saves aren't an issue, because you are not required to spend a surge on a 20+, you are just "able to."

Also, you don't need to save vs. daze at the beginning of each battle, because once you've done it once, the daze is gone forever (or at least, until it's reapplied).

But in terms of cheesiness...all the Revenant tricks are super-duper-mega-cheesy. And the extra actions in particular are veeeery debatable.
Revenant Rules Issues

Death's Quickening
If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain concious due to Unnatural Vitality, you can take a minor action in addition to the standard action Unnatural Vitality allows.

Ghostly Vitality
If you drop to 0 or fewer hit points and choose to remain concious due to Unnatural Vitality, you can take a move action and a minor action in addition to the standard action Unnatural Vitality allows. While you have 0 or fewer hit points, you gain insubstantial. 

Those are additional actions = extra.  Not that it matters, but CS confirms this interpretation. See other forums with over 250 posts on this topic.

Death Saving Throws

Under the older rules, you are right re: spending surges.  But Rules Compendium changed that to:

Rolling a 20 on death save

"the adventurer taps into his or her will to live, represented by being a able to spend a healing surge.  If the adventurer has at least 1 surge left and now spends it..."

So no, you dont have to spend it just because you have a 20 on your save.

Closing your eyes is totally up to DM interpretation.

Losing Surges
Note that I am equipped with a shadowfell ring:
Show

"if an enemy’s attack causes you to lose a healing surge, you can take 10 damage instead of losing that healing surge."

Combine that with my belt of Sonnlinor righteousness and surge loss is not possible when I am below 0 as result of enemy attacks.  Generally areas of negative energy and the like still do thier job just fine though. 
And once you are out of surges, anything that makes you lose a surge, such as an attack by some undead, you lose your surge worth of hp.  Two of those attacks and you would be dead without surges.

THis is not always the case.  There is no general rule for the consequences of surge loss when you don't have surges.  Some powers specify your surge value in damage.  Some specify your level in damage.  One or two, IIRC, just specify that you die.  Quite a few don't specify, and when they don't specify, there is no consequence.

A good house rule would be either surge value or level in damage, but make no mistake, if you make a general rule like that, it is a house rule.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Duh. Yes it is too cheesy. Its like a very old Stilton served with cheese doodles and bluecheese dip sauce on the side. Seriously; its barely possible to squeeze more cheese into a single build. if I sat down in organized play I would feel that a build like this was a serious downer to the game experience.

May sound harsh, but you asked and this is my honest view on the matter.

"closes my eyes and intentionally miss", Cheesus.... 

Duh. Yes it is too cheesy. Its like a very old Stilton served with cheese doodles and bluecheese dip sauce on the side. Seriously; its barely possible to squeeze more cheese into a single build. if I sat down in organized play I would feel that a build like this was a serious downer to the game experience.

+1.

This isn't even in the context that we're talking about a 10-12 hour mod likely in a convention. As a DM, I'd ask the player to tone it way down. I'd also point out that there's an easy option to take which takes a lot of this build from being so annoying.

i.e. reduces(or drop) to 0 or fewer has two possible RAW meanings:
reduces the current value to 0 or reduces the current value to a value fewer than 0.
reduces from the set of numbers which are greater than 0 to the set of numbers which are 0 or fewer.

They don't mean the same thing and most people using English think of the 2nd option when they hear it.
If you ask me, any sub-zero builds do not count as "playing nice." Intentional missing is also pretty bad, but compared to the deluxe revenantcheese you're starting with, that's just cream cheese icing on the cheesecake.
its barely possible to squeeze more cheese into a single build. if I sat down in organized play I would feel that a build like this was a serious downer to the game experience.

This isn't even in the context that we're talking about a 10-12 hour mod likely in a convention. As a DM, I'd ask the player to tone it way down.

I am not in the least offended - I honestly am so isolated that I don't have a good perspective on what is "powerful" vs. "omfgwtf?!"  Thats why I posted this. 

I am admittedly a power gamer, and don't like to even come close to losing a fight against non-bosses.  But I'll tell you with this build, I was 1 or 2 hits away from death in Epic 4-1 in the last fight.

And I hate DMs bending the rules to make the build less useful.  Just ask me not to abuse a combo and give me some guidelines as to what that means and Im happy.  

So far the things Im seeing are:
- Don't close your eyes.
- Don't start below 0 hit points every fight.

Any suggestions on what is a powerful but not too cheesy dpr?  Im trying to adjust for Epic 4-2.

Remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you have to.  Consider holding off on useing some of your power unless you need it.

Ex.  A fully-opt ranger uses twin-strike.  Treat's his encounter powers as dailies.  Only pulling them out when things go bad.

As far as uncheeze revenant, just remove the belt, and don't use the extra actions (unless you are dazed).

And closing your eyes is not RAW. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Another way to not make a too cheesy revenant is to use the belt, but not take all the revenant below o hp feats.
Closing your eyes is definitely RAW, as far as LFR goes.  There are a couple of mods which even tell the DM to remind the players that this is an option.

Basically, you close your eyes at the start of your turn (free action) causing yourself to be Blinded until the start of your next turn.  Being blinded causes it's own hassles: you can't see the party Enabler to take advantage of some of their powers, you are granting combat advantage, you have a -5 penalty to *melee* and *ranged* attack rolls, some powers require you to be able to see your target before you can even make the attack, etc.  During this round, you are basically immune to gaze effects and effects which require you to see the attacker.  At the start of your next round, you can choose to keep your eyes closed or you can open them (again, free action.)
Yeah, this build is basically fine theory op but not suggested for practical play. It relies on a number of "cheesy" and questionable rules interpretations and outright shennanigans. Basically, it's likely to annoy a DM and/or cause arguments at the table, and nobody needs that. There are multiple DMs who will do any of the following:
1) restrict you to 3 actions per round
2) blind you for the round (no combat advantage, -5 to hit)
3) make you choose between being dazed or being unconscious
4) have your intentional miss not trigger anything... 

Even those who don't choose to use other rules intepretations, or to use generic DM tools, may just get vicious with the resources of the encounters available - in effect choosing to forfeit the encounter or threatening anyone else to just drop your character.

It can also be disliked by other players at the table. Toxic environments should always be avoided. 

In terms of its overall effectiveness, it's on the high but dealable side for epic LFR. Cause, yeah, you're eminently killable at multiple points in epic3-3 and epic4-1 off the top of my head. I'm actually quite surprised you lived through the final encounter of 4-1
Show
Given that the encounter can bypass resistance to damage, the glabrezu have truesight, and there's a decent chance you yourself bloodied one on your own action... a DM annoyed by the build from the rest of the module might have killed the character in round 1.

In general, I think you're always safe to aim for a very powerful and solidly built character for LFR, but there's no need or reason to use exploits. Heck, even beyond that, I find I typically have to self-regulate my power level lower when I play in LFR to more closely match my party or the DM.
Show
Up to and including choosing not to use certain powers, items, and even feats except when necessary. The two fights in EPIC4-1 my fighter almost died? Pulled out all the stops. The other 5  fights? Conveniently forgot most of it.

Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Closing your eyes is definitely RAW, as far as LFR goes.  There are a couple of mods which even tell the DM to remind the players that this is an option.

Does LFR actually have this rules addition officially printed somewhere in their house rules?

Because there's no legal way to "blind yourself by closing your eyes" without a house rule in D&D.  It's pretty much the exact definition of "actions the rules don't cover" because, well, the rules don't cover it.  Which means it's up for GM interpretation, and that pretty much by definition means the GM will tell you to go away when you're trying to to it to auto-miss for cheese.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
3) make you choose between being dazed or being unconscious

There's no "may" involved - the interpretation of Superior Will to let you be un-Dazed during your turn is simply, flatly wrong.

While a revenant is below 0 HP, they are either Dazed or Unconscious.
If you remove the Dazed condition, they are below zero, and are either Dazed or Unconscious.

Superior Will is useless to a Revenant below 0 HP.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
LordOfWeasels, for example, would allow you to be either dazed (used Unnatural Vitality) or unconscious (didn't). There's your choice, just like I said.

Thanks for proving the example ;) 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
LordOfWeasels, for example, would allow you to be either dazed (used Unnatural Vitality) or unconscious (didn't). There's your choice, just like I said.

I'm just saying, it's not just "an example", it's "the only correct way to rule, with the OP's interpretation being wrong and a GM agreeing with him making a mistake."

(I mean, your "1" is predicated on the idea that a sub-zero Revenant can be conscious and not dazed, which is wrong.  Your "2" is predicated on the idea that a character can blind himself by closing his eyes in the first place, which is houserule territory to begin with.  Your "4" is basically invoking Bag Of Rats - it's the only real GM judgement call on the list.)
My general rule of thumb is that any time I look at my build and say "Is this, perhaps, too cheesy for play in this scenario?" the answer is "Yes. Yes it is."
Wow, LFR still runs? I'd gotten the impression it was dead by this point.

Anyways, pretty much anytime you are doing something cheesy with rules that could be interpretted one way or another, its best not to go that route, because you can't count on your trick always working depending on DM. And in this case I'd say probably a good 30-40% of DMs would rule the same as LordofWeasels.

I'm just saying, it's not just "an example", it's "the only correct way to rule, with the OP's interpretation being wrong and a GM agreeing with him making a mistake."

(I mean, your "1" is predicated on the idea that a sub-zero Revenant can be conscious and not dazed, which is wrong.  Your "2" is predicated on the idea that a character can blind himself by closing his eyes in the first place, which is houserule territory to begin with.  Your "4" is basically invoking Bag Of Rats - it's the only real GM judgement call on the list.)

There are lots of people including CS that believe sub-zero revenants get all of the actions stated above.  http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649042/4e_ask_a_simple_question,_get_a_simple_answer?post_id=492402673#492402673

Many character op builds rely on that.  I have only ever had one DM rule that if you become "not dazed" you fall unconscious (topaz guardian immune to daze), and I was so suprised by that ruling that I posted it to these forums and there was a resounding, 'your dm is totally wrong' outcry.  

As noted, closing eyes is totally up to DM's and not really necessary - Id suggest that I should be able to miss someone intentionally without even having to roll (1:20 chance of accidentally hitting someone with the dagger that was supposed to miss sounds to high to me, but totally an acceptable decision).  Why they have a mechanic in the game that makes you much better after you miss, I have no idea, but its clearly how the power is supposed to work, and not even close to bag of rats.  

For bag of rats builds, see my highly questionable Divine Bolts Archer.  

I tend to think Keith's point is the best though - gauge what you are doing relative to the rest of the table and dont start doing "crazy stuff" til you have to makes some sense.  It's incredibly far from my preferred playstyle (4 strikers, 1 leader - 20 minutes max per combat), but I can totally see that point of view.

And yes Keith, if our DM was more interested in "payback" than doing what made sense, he could easily have killed my character at the end of 4-1.  As it was he did kill my pact dragon.  But the rest of the party was clustered up and blasts/bursts could either be just me or all of them.  And we had a well built defender who kept me alive to hand out more beatings.  Honestly though, if i get the sense the DM is picking on me for making a highly optimized striker, I will usually report that behavior to the con coordinator.  Its not appropriate.  This isnt a game of DM vs. Players.  Its a team effort - we are all supposed to come together to overcome challenges that the DM brings to life for us.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />There are lots of people including CS that believe sub-zero revenants get all of the actions stated above. 

Lots of people confuse invisibility with being hidden, and confuse reactions with interrupts, and conflate immediate actions with opportunity actions.

These people are all wrong, no matter how common they are.

(And CS?  CS are most often wrong.  Seriously, they're not an official rules source, which is good because they're extremely bad at it.  They're consistently less knowledgable than the average Rules Q&A forumgoer.)

Personally, I would rule that an intentional miss isn't really a miss, because you were trying NOT to hit them. It's a successful attack that wasn't directed at the enemy, is all. 

Strictly speaking, it's not Bag of Rats. But it's LIKE Bag of Rats in that it's gaming the system via a trivial workaround, and  I don't consider "I close my eyes, spin around in a circle three times, and then I lash in the enemy's general direction with my (non-proficient) whip and hope I don't hit them" to be much different from "I pull a hamster out of my Bag of Hamster Holding..."

Personally, I would rule that an intentional miss isn't really a miss, because you were trying NOT to hit them. It's a successful attack that wasn't directed at the enemy, is all. 

Strictly speaking, it's not Bag of Rats. But it's LIKE Bag of Rats in that it's gaming the system via a trivial workaround, and  I don't consider "I close my eyes, spin around in a circle three times, and then I lash in the enemy's general direction with my (non-proficient) whip and hope I don't hit them" to be much different from "I pull a hamster out of my Bag of Hamster Holding..."

I am inclined to agree.
The death saves aren't an issue, because you are not required to spend a surge on a 20+, you are just "able to."

Actually you are required to

Death Saving Throw: When you are dying, you need to make a saving throw at the end of your turn each round. The result of your saving throw determines how close you are to death.
Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die.
10–19: No change.
20 or higher: Spend a healing surge. When you do so, you are considered to have 0 hit points, and then your healing surge restores hit points as normal. You are no longer dying, and you are conscious but still prone. If you roll 20 or higher but have no healing surges, your condition doesn’t change.

It does not say it is optional, it states that if you roll a 20 you spend the healing surge.  Also note it says "when you do" not "if you do"

Actually you are required to

Death Saving Throw: When you are dying, you need to make a saving throw at the end of your turn each round. The result of your saving throw determines how close you are to death.
Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die.
10–19: No change.
20 or higher: Spend a healing surge. When you do so, you are considered to have 0 hit points, and then your healing surge restores hit points as normal. You are no longer dying, and you are conscious but still prone. If you roll 20 or higher but have no healing surges, your condition doesn’t change.

It does not say it is optional, it states that if you roll a 20 you spend the healing surge.  Also note it says "when you do" not "if you do"

That's the old wording from the PHB. It's been updated in the RC to no longer require you to do it.
Then provide the text, cause it doesn't seem to be altered at all in the compendium.
Blaise quoted the relevant text back a couple pages, on 2 I think. RC no longer requires you to spend the surge.
He only provided a snippet, I'd rather see the full text if possible please.
I won't copy the entire section because it's a lot of unnecessary work, but here's the relevant bullet point:
20 or Higher: The adventurer taps into his or her will to live, represented by being able to spend a healing surge. If the adventurer has at least one surge left and now spends it, he or she is considered to have 0 hit points, and then the healing surge restores hit points as normal. The adventurer is no longer dying, and he or she is conscious but still prone.

Sigh, it would be nice if they were consistent with language or at least made the necessary adjustments for the compendium for those of us who rely on it.
I tend to think Keith's point is the best though - gauge what you are doing relative to the rest of the table and dont start doing "crazy stuff" til you have to makes some sense.  It's incredibly far from my preferred playstyle (4 strikers, 1 leader - 20 minutes max per combat), but I can totally see that point of view.

Not really in the spirit of of char-op, but why do you even play combats then? (honest question) For me, just following your flowchart with minimal DM interaction would get really old, really fast. 

And yes Keith, if our DM was more interested in "payback" than doing what made sense, he could easily have killed my character at the end of 4-1.  As it was he did kill my pact dragon.  But the rest of the party was clustered up and blasts/bursts could either be just me or all of them.  And we had a well built defender who kept me alive to hand out more beatings.  Honestly though, if i get the sense the DM is picking on me for making a highly optimized striker, I will usually report that behavior to the con coordinator.  Its not appropriate.  This isnt a game of DM vs. Players.  Its a team effort - we are all supposed to come together to overcome challenges that the DM brings to life for us.

Well, if team monster sees one guy just shredding one of their buddies in the blink of an eye, and this makes it down the grapevine to the rest of the monsters in the proverbial dungeon, I see every reason for a DM to justify 'picking on your highly optimized striker' (i.e. focus fire, or just good tactics). It's your choice to stay below 0 hp to achieve level stupid, don't blame the DM if this backfires on you. 
Revenant, intentional missing, and Belt of the assclown. Yeah, you're covered.

this post is pure bliss, thank you

I am inclined to agree.

+1.

To put it more succinctly - in order to miss, you have to have tried to hit in the first place.  

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?