03/12/2012 Draft Simulator

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Oh look, more M12.  That's not overdone.
I went red-white.  Obviously I ended-up with Sun Titan, Fireball, Volcanic Dragon, Chandra's Outrage, Gorehorn Minotaurs, several Stormfront Pegasus, etc..  I'm fairly confident that it's the correct deck.
As usual, I went aggro.  I think the first couple of picks are pretty obvious, which means most people are going to be in Red.  Although the Sun Titan is nice (understatement) there is no white in pack 1 while there is some decent black and blue.  I don't think the draft has enough white to support the Titan (especially as you are almost certainly going to have no white cards after pack 1 without knowing the Sun Titan is coming). 

I think BR is the right deck for this draft although Red/Blue aggro is also a possibility.  I see that one of the other drafters ended up with Jace and Mr Frosty, nice!

Anyway

Deck

Land (17)
9 x Mountains
8 x Swamps

Creatures (16)
3xGoblin Arsonist
Tormented Soul
Goblin Fireslinger
3xBlood Seeker (this is just silly)
Goblin Tunneler
2xChild of Night
2xFiery Hellhound
Blood Ogre
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Volcanic Dragon

Spells (7)
Fireball
Wring Flesh
Crown of Empires
Fling
Doom Blade
Sorin's Thirst
Chandra's Outrage

Coming out of pack one I was mostly mono-red, keeping the second color option open.  The Sun Titan was nice, though obviously the player to my left was taking a lot of good white, but I did get a few cards in pack 2.  Even with decent white cards coming in pack 3, I'm not sure white was the correct second color, but Fling plus Goblin Arsonist makes the Titan really strong.

Round 1:
Fireball
Blood Ogre
Goblin Fireslinger
Fling
Bonebreaker Giant
Lava Axe
Act of Treason
Goblin Arsonist
Mighty Leap
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Goblin War Paint
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Chandra's Phoenix
Goblin Arsonist
Circle of Flame
Fiery Hellhound
Stonehorn Dignitary
Scepter of Empires
Goblin Arsonist
Fiery Hellhound
Demystify
Pride Guardian
Mesa Enchantress
Firebreathing
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Stormfront Pegasus
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Roc Egg
Timely Reinforcements
Stonehorn Dignitary
Griffin Sentinel
Act of Treason
Fiery Hellhound
Coral Merfolk
Demystify
Lifelink
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Island

Ok, I don't normally do this, but I actually went a solid color.  Pack 1 was hard, not because Fireball isn't a strong card, but it was real tempting to go Belltower Sphinx and then when I saw a 2nd one later in pack 1, I was really wondering what that draft would be.  Then the came along Sun Titan and I was totally not going white, but he almost makes you want to make white be your 2nd color just for him.  Also was wondering if you can sac Chandra's Phoenix to Fling and have that kick off his special ability and bring him back to your hand.  Just a thought.

Anyway here was my draft.

Round 1:
Fireball
Blood Ogre
Goblin Fireslinger
Blood Seeker
Belltower Sphinx
Slaughter Cry
Goblin Piker
Goblin Arsonist
Grand Abolisher
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Dark Favor
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Chandra's Phoenix
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Tunneler
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Grenade
Scepter of Empires
Goblin Arsonist
Fiery Hellhound
Ponder
Goblin Tunneler
Firebreathing
Firebreathing
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Doom Blade
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Child of Night
Manic Vandal
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker
Manic Vandal
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Bangchuckers
Ponder
Redirect
Firebreathing
Reclaim
Island

Creatures (15):
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Arsonist x 4
Goblin Piker
Goblin Tunneler x 3
Blood Ogre
Fiery Hellhound x 3
Chandra's Phoenix
Volcanic Dragon

Spells (7) :
Fireball
Goblin Grenade
Fling
Slaughter Cry x 2
Scepter of Empires
Chandra's Outrage

Land (18):
Mountain x 18

3 Fiery Hellhound with 3 Goblin Tunneler makes a nasty combo.  I threw in Slaughter Cry figuring I have a bunch of weenies, but giving them +2/+0 and first strike would help them push through early blocks.
Round 1:
Fireball
Blood Ogre
Stormfront Pegasus
Armored Warhorse
Benalish Veteran
Divine Favor
Act of Treason
Goblin Arsonist
Grand Abolisher
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Fling
Unsummon
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Chandra's Phoenix
Cudgel Troll
Circle of Flame
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Grenade
Bonebreaker Giant
Goblin Arsonist
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Tunneler
Fog
Firebreathing
Tormented Soul
Mountain

Round 3:
Stormfront Pegasus
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Roc Egg
Timely Reinforcements
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker
Manic Vandal
Aven Fleetwing
Goblin Bangchuckers
Demystify
Redirect
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Island

DECKLIST
Lands (17)
10 x Mountain
7 x Plains

Creatures (18)
1 x Goblin Fireslinger
3 x Goblin Arsonist
2 x Goblin Tunneler
2 x Stormfront Pegasus
1 x Benalish Veteran
1 x Roc Egg
1 x Manic Vandal
1 x Blood Ogre
2 x Fiery Hellhound
1 x Chandra's Phoenix
1 x Bonebreaker Giant
1 x Sun Titan
1 x Volcanic Dragon

Other Spells (5)
1 x Fireball
1 x Goblin Grenade
2 x Fling
1 x Chandra's Outrage

This should be a very fast deck, with only 4 cards at 4 or more CMC.  There are a few pump spells to use when I miss a drop waiting for more lands.  Lots of damage should be dealt early, hopefully enough to kill or get opponent low enough for a direct damage finisher.  If it goes late game, the Titan and Dragon will be a surprise that may win the game.  The Titan will also return early threats that prove to be very useful.  There are enough of red spells that can do damage to opponent to return Chandra's Phoenix, if it happens to end up in the yard.  I also have good cards to sideboard in if the games do go long, like Timely Reinforcements and Act of Treason, or maybe even Divine Favor.

While drafting, I was thinking this deck was going to be a little more even on the colors.  Because of that, I initially had in Armored Warhorse and Grand Abolisher, but pulled them for fear they would slow me down if I didn't get my second Plains quick enough.  Grand Abolisher is something I would side in against any deck with lots of instants or activated abilities used during my turn.

I'd be happy to play this deck in draft.  Initially I was hesitant to pull white, but glad I did after seeing the Titan.  I think some else had the same idea, because it was limited in the 2nd and 3rd packs.  I could have switched away from white, but I was already committed with the first pack and first pick of the 2nd (Titan).  Switching would have weekend my cardpool, and  not sure that would have been beneficial.  Let me know what you think of this draft and build.  As always, please be constructive.
Let me know what you think of this draft and build.  As always, please be constructive.

My honest impression is that you ended up with a nice deck but got very lucky.

P1p3 - Crown of Empires is colourless control/quasi removal that will fit in any deck.  Taking the Pegasus here is a real gamble because although the Pegasus is good, you are already commiting to a second colour when the Crown (and Fireslinger) kept it more open. 

P1p4 - Even with the Pegasus this is a risky pick.  Armored Warhorse is a strong card but very colour intensive.  Given that you are alsmost certainly going to be playing Red, you have now nailed your colours as RW by P1p4, which is very early. 

Also, what was the thinking behind Cudgel Troll P2p3?  You clearly aren't going to play it and while hate picking is fine for a bomb or in later picks a wasted P2p3 seems a bit odd.

P2p4 - Circle of Flame is really not very good and can normally be picked up on the wheel much later.

As it happens, you ended up opening the Titan in Pack 2, which secured your deck for you but if you had been RW and opened, say, a Grave Titan (or other non RW bomb) I think you would have been in trouble.  As I said, I like your deck but think you made a few strange (and risky) picks.

My honest impression is that you ended up with a nice deck but got very lucky.

P1p3 - Crown of Empires is colourless control/quasi removal that will fit in any deck.  Taking the Pegasus here is a real gamble because although the Pegasus is good, you are already commiting to a second colour when the Crown (and Fireslinger) kept it more open. 

P1p4 - Even with the Pegasus this is a risky pick.  Armored Warhorse is a strong card but very colour intensive.  Given that you are alsmost certainly going to be playing Red, you have now nailed your colours as RW by P1p4, which is very early. 

Also, what was the thinking behind Cudgel Troll P2p3?  You clearly aren't going to play it and while hate picking is fine for a bomb or in later picks a wasted P2p3 seems a bit odd.

P2p4 - Circle of Flame is really not very good and can normally be picked up on the wheel much later.

As it happens, you ended up opening the Titan in Pack 2, which secured your deck for you but if you had been RW and opened, say, a Grave Titan (or other non RW bomb) I think you would have been in trouble.  As I said, I like your deck but think you made a few strange (and risky) picks.

P1p3 - I considered the Crown of Empires, but I thought it was a little mana intensitve to pay to tap a creature every turn.  I considered Goblin Fireslinger and going into black for Sorin's Thirst.  I thought the Stormfront Pegasus was a better creature, and the would make it an easier fit as a secondary color into a deck.

P1p4 - I was thinking I need to try to commit to both colors within the first pack.  When is the best time to choose your second color?  My thoughts behind this card was Fling and Slaughter Cry were mediocre cards.  I had already picked white, and thought I could make this my second color.  I was seeing some good white come around, and I know that white is usually not drafted as often as the other colors.  Armored Warhorse was the only option if I wanted to stay with white as Auramancer isn't that good of a card unless you are playing enchantments, something I want to stay away from when I can.

P2p2 - I should mention I debated between Chandra's Phoenix and Gorehorn Minotaurs.  I ultimately picked the Phoenix for it's evasion and recursion, as I consider this a much better option than a probably 5/5 ground pounder.

P2p3 - This was definitely a hate pick.  With white and red being my colors, the 5 options were average picks.  All I would most likely see again as a late pick, either this pack or the next.  I consider Cudgel Troll a big threat to this deck, since it is a quick large bodied creature and hard to kill.

P2p4 - I choose Circle of Flame, was the best option for in color choices.  I did strongly consider Thran Golem, but didn't think it would make the deck, even as a sideboard.  I didn't feel the Golem is very strong in limited, as you have helped me realize from past simulators.  White had Mesa Enchantress, very weak for limited.  Other options for red being Firebreathing and Goblin TunnelerFirebreathing isn't very good, and won't be played.  The Tunneler is ok, but I already had one and nothing to use it on yet.  I also thought I would most likely get more chances to pick a Tunneler later, but didn't think that would happen with the Circle.  It was a sideboard card, but may be very useful in certain matchups.
As usual, I went aggro.  I think the first couple of picks are pretty obvious, which means most people are going to be in Red.  Although the Sun Titan is nice (understatement) there is no white in pack 1 while there is some decent black and blue.  I don't think the draft has enough white to support the Titan (especially as you are almost certainly going to have no white cards after pack 1 without knowing the Sun Titan is coming). 

I think BR is the right deck for this draft although Red/Blue aggro is also a possibility.

Anyway

Deck

Land (17)
9 x Mountains
8 x Swamps

Creatures (16)
3xGoblin Arsonist
Tormented Soul
Goblin Fireslinger
3xBlood Seeker (this is just silly)
Goblin Tunneler
2xChild of Night
2xFiery Hellhound
Blood Ogre
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Volcanic Dragon

Spells (7)
Fireball
Wring Flesh
Crown of Empires
Fling
Doom Blade
Sorin's Thirst
Chandra's Outrage

I was thinking of going with black as my second color.  It looked like it was pretty thin in the later picks, so I decided to stick with white.  Black as a secondary color would have given me a deck very similar to yours.  It looks very aggressive, but would probably struggle in the late game.  Some DD spells to the dome may be enough to finish off opponent after your intial onslaught and their board has established.

Blue looked like it could have been an option.  Altough I didn't pay much attention to it after the first pack.  I haven't played a in quite some time.
I see that one of the other drafters ended up with Jace and Mr Frosty, nice!

It always seems like the other drafters get multiple bombs.  I wish you could see the rest of their picks to see if they are in-color or hate drafts.
Ok, I don't normally do this, but I actually went a solid color.  Pack 1 was hard, not because Fireball isn't a strong card, but it was real tempting to go Belltower Sphinx and then when I saw a 2nd one later in pack 1, I was really wondering what that draft would be.  Then the came along Sun Titan and I was totally not going white, but he almost makes you want to make white be your 2nd color just for him.  Also was wondering if you can sac Chandra's Phoenix to Fling and have that kick off his special ability and bring him back to your hand.  Just a thought.

3 Fiery Hellhound with 3 Goblin Tunneler makes a nasty combo.  I threw in Slaughter Cry figuring I have a bunch of weenies, but giving them +2/+0 and first strike would help them push through early blocks.

It's always fun to go mono color in a draft if you can.  White was a tough color in this draft.  I started as RW, but ended up being more Rw (light on the white).

To answer your question, yes sacing Chandra's Phoenix to Fling will bring the Phoenix back to your hand.  Sac is part of the cost of Fling, so when Fling deals its damage to your opponent, Phoenix will already be in the graveyard activating its ability.  That is a decent combo.  Fiery Hellhound with Goblin Tunneler is a great combo.  Late in the game, use these two together and leave open with a Fling in your hand to deal twice as much as Hellhound's power to your opponent.  That should end the game.

I think you are drastically overvaluing the Crown; its a colorless doom blade that requires you to triple stone rain yourself, in a format where all the guys are more or less identical aggressive beaters. In a slower format it might be a higher pick, but in M12, it was barely worth playing. I'd rather just grab some more beaters. For the pick where you chose a crown, I think a Fireslinger is a signifigantly better choice. Its red's premier enabler in M12, which you are already interested in having grabbed Fireball and Blood Ogre, and it sets you up to be much more aggressive (ie, better as far as M12 is concerned). If you absolutely must have removal for that pick, Sorin's Thirst is a better choice, and leads you nicely towards aggressive red/black.
Round 1:
Fireball
Blood Ogre
Goblin Fireslinger
Wring Flesh
Child of Night
Slaughter Cry
Brink of Disaster
Reassembling Skeleton
Grand Abolisher
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Goblin War Paint
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Chandra's Phoenix
Reassembling Skeleton
Thran Golem
Fiery Hellhound
Goblin Grenade
Child of Night
Goblin Arsonist
Titanic Growth
Duskhunter Bat
Ice Cage
Firebreathing
Firebreathing
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Doom Blade
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Incinerate
Incinerate
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker
Blood Seeker
Fiery Hellhound
Fling
Ponder
Redirect
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Island

DECKLIST
Lands (17)
9 x Mountain
8 x Swamps

Creatures (16)
1 x Goblin Fireslinger
2 x Goblin Arsonist
1 x Goblin Tunneler
2 x Blood Seeker
2 x Child of Night
1 x Duskhunter Bat
2 x Reassembling Skeleton
1 x Blood Ogre
2 x Fiery Hellhound
1 x Chandra's Phoenix
1 x Volcanic Dragon

Other Spells (7)
1 x Wring Flesh
1 x Fireball
2 x Incinerate
1 x Fling
1 x Doom Blade
1 x Chandra's Outrage

Second draft.  This time I choose black as my second color.  The deck has more removal, but a few less big creatures.  Another Funneler would have been nice with 2 Hellhounds.  2 x Incinerate is a definite plus over my first draft.  This is a super-aggressive deck, with potential of stalling out late game.  The Hellhounds, Fireball and Skeleton should give me something to spend mana on mid/late game.  Unfortunately I had to choose between removal and Vampire Outcasts both times, first pick of pack 1 & 3.  I wish I could have seen one 2nd or 3rd pick, it probably would have been picked.

Always open for constructive criticism!
Ended up R/B.  P1p1 was really quite easy for me.  Considered going U/B/r early in the draft with the belltower, but didn't see anything worth taking over the rest of the red I was finding and splashing U for a lonely 2 power sphinx isn't worth it.

Oh yes, you had better believe I am going to redraft mill just for kicks when I'm done here.

Round 1:
Fireball  It's Fireball.  It wins games.  End of discussion.
Blood Ogre With or without bloodthirst this is a decent creature.
Sorin's Thirst Hellooooo removal.
Wring Flesh more removal.  Could have taken the blood seeker here though.
Belltower Sphinx Passed one already maybe blue?
Lava Axe fireball backup.
Disentomb not much else here.  This can get back a bomb later.
Reassembling Skeleton hindsight being 20/20 I should have taken the arsonist, but this guy is annoying.  I never did remember to take a sac outlet for these guys.
Distress why not.
Smallpox sure.
Smallpox sure. (probably won't end up playing both)
Blood Seeker I just realized I really need creatures...XD
Dark Favor whatevs.
Forest whatevs.
Mountain whatevs.

Round 2:
Sun Titan HHHHAAAATTTEEEEE PIIIIICCCCKKKK!!!
Chandra's Phoenix  Ooh.  Me likey. (natch...there's a devouring swarm in here for use with my skeleton...too bad the phoenix is here too.  no contest).
Reassembling Skeleton should have taken arsonist again...but I was dead set on trying to abuse this.  Of course if I'd known I'd pick up so many Fiery Hellhounds later, i'd have snapped up the goblin tunneler. XD
Thran Golem  It was this or the tunneler.
Fiery Hellhound meh.
Tormented Soul no goblins for the grenade, so this.
Child of Night sure.
Ice Cage splash blue?  I don't care for brink of disaster anyway.  but maybe I'm undervaluing it in limited.
Fiery Hellhound more doggies.
Ponder whatevs.
Ice Cage whatevs.
Firebreathing whatevs. (it can go on my golem in a pinch)
Firebreathing whatevs.
Naturalize whatevs.
Mountain whatevs.

Round 3:
Doom Blade I'm not going to be able to turn on bloodthirst reliably enough to make the Vampire outcasts worth it.  Doom blade certainly isn't a bad choice on it's own though.
Volcanic Dragon I soooooo needed this.
Chandra's Outrage burn baby burn.  geh...there's another devouring swarm here.  Still wouldn't take it over the burn though.  tough luck.
Child of Night not bad.
Sorin's Thirst sweet.
Goblin Arsonist had I been thinking of my fiery hellhounds I think I would have taken the tunneler here.
Blood Seeker cool.
Blood Seeker cool.
Fiery Hellhound sure.
Sacred Wolf whatevs.
Levitation whatevs.
Redirect whatevs.
Firebreathing whatevs.
Reclaim whatevs.
Island whatevs.

Creatures (15)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
1x Fireball
2x Sorin's Thirst
2x Smallpox[/deck] Oh wait....the reassembling skeletons are phenomenal with these!  sweet, I did get some synergy.
[deck]
1x Doom Blade
1x Chandra's Outrage
1x Lava Axe
[/deck]

Yes, I'm leaving the thran golem out.  I have lots of creature enchantments but sooooo much more better removal, so the robot goes.

Lands (17)
[deck]
8x Swamp
9x Mountain
[/deck]

Creatures
1-2
2-4
3-8
4-0
5-0
6-1

Non-Creatures
1-0
2-6
3-0
4-1
5-1
6-0

Total
1-2
2-10
3-8
4-1
5-1
6-1

Talk about a low curve, but boy is it color intensive.  I don't know how I feel about this, but it's decent.

And here's the mill deck:
[sblock: Mill]
Check out P3p9:  There's still a Carnage Wurm here??  Is noone going green??! *checks other drafters' colors* no....there are 2 green drafters.  WHY IS THIS STILL HERE??!

Round 1:
Belltower Sphinx
Ice Cage
Crown of Empires
Kite Shield
Belltower Sphinx
Buried Ruin
Brink of Disaster
Jace's Erasure
Jace's Erasure
Smallpox
Smallpox
Flight
Bountiful Harvest
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Ponder
Harbor Serpent
Merfolk Looter
Mana Leak
Amphin Cutthroat
Merfolk Mesmerist
Merfolk Mesmerist
Jace's Erasure
Duskhunter Bat
Coral Merfolk
Mesa Enchantress
Flight
Tormented Soul
Mountain

Round 3:
Merfolk Looter
Bloodrage Vampire
Jace's Erasure
Divination
Mana Leak
Ice Cage
Unsummon
Amphin Cutthroat
Drowned Catacomb
Flight
Ponder
Redirect
Alluring Siren
Reclaim
Island

Creatures (6)
[deck]
2x Merfolk Looter
2x Merfolk Mesmerist
2x Belltower Sphinx[/deck]

Non-Creatures (17)
[deck]
2x Ponder
1x Unsummon
1x Redirect
2x Ice Cage
4x Jace's Erasure
2x Mana Leak
2x Smallpox
1x Crown of Empires
1x Kite Shield
1x Divination
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
7x Swamp
10x Island
[/deck]

Creatures
1-0
2-4
3-0
4-0
5-2

Non-Creatures
1-3
2-11
3-3
4-0
5-0

Total
1-3
2-15
3-3
4-0
5-2

Good crap my curve is low.  Then again I need the mana so I can cast spells and hold up countermagic so I think my land count is good.
Is this likely to win?  Probably not.  Will it be funny?  Oh yes.
[/sblock]

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:
Fireball
Garruk's Companion
Goblin Fireslinger
Sacred Wolf
Greater Basilisk
Slaughter Cry
Brindle Boar
Trollhide
Brindle Boar
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Goblin War Paint
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Cudgel Troll
Thran Golem
Birds of Paradise
Llanowar Elves
Greater Basilisk
Gladecover Scout
Titanic Growth
Runeclaw Bear
Gladecover Scout
Fog
Firebreathing
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Carnage Wurm
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Trollhide
Manic Vandal
Goblin Arsonist
Plummet
Hunter's Insight
Llanowar Elves
Sacred Wolf
Ponder
Redirect
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Island

DECKLIST
Lands (16)
9 x Forest
7 x Mountain

Creatures (15)
1 x Goblin Arsonist
1 x Goblin Fireslinger
2 x Llanowar Elves
1 x Birds of Paradise
1 x Garruk's Companion
2 x Sacred Wolf
1 x Gorehorn Minotaurs
1 x Cudgel Troll
2 x Greater Basilisk
1 x Thran Golem
1 x Volcanic Dragon
1 x Carnage Wurm

Other Spells (9)
1 x Fireball
2 x Trollhide
1 x Slaughter Cry
1 x Firebreathing
1 x Titanic Growth
1 x Hunter's Insight
1 x Chandra's Outrage
1 x Fling

Third draft.  I wanted to see what looked like.  I didn't think I could draft a strong deck, but I was surprised by the results.  This deck seems to have a good curve, with a few direct damage spells and several large creatures.  Fliers will be a big downfall of this deck, but I should be able to use the DD to get rid of them, if they aren't used as blocks against the big threats.  With the mana producers, this should be easy to cast the large creatures on turn 4.  Even a Basilisk or Golem is possible on turn 3, that would be awesome.  I choose to play the Firebreathing, even though it is a below average card, because I have a few creatures that can be dangerous with this.  Maybe I should have left in Golbin War Paint instead, as this is a slightly better card.  I think this may be my favorite deck of this draft.  But I have always been drawn to [mc]RG[/c].

Give me your constructive criticism.  I will be more than happy to read and reply to your responses.
And here's the mill deck:

Check out P3p9:  There's still a Carnage Wurm here??  Is noone going green??! *checks other drafters' colors* no....there are 2 green drafters.  WHY IS THIS STILL HERE??!

Creatures (6)

Non-Creatures (17)
[deck]
2x Ponder
1x Unsummon
1x Redirect
2x Ice Cage
4x Jace's Erasure
2x Mana Leak
2x Smallpox
1x Crown of Empires
1x Kite Shield
1x Divination
[/deck]

Lands
[deck]
7x Swamp
10x Island
[/deck]

Good crap my curve is low.  Then again I need the mana so I can cast spells and hold up countermagic so I think my land count is good.
Is this likely to win?  Probably not.  Will it be funny?  Oh yes.

You are right, probably won't win much, but would be sooo much fun to play.  I would definitely play this in a friendly/non-tournament draft.  You forgot to include the Drowned Catacomb.  It is a sweet 9th pick.
You are right, probably won't win much, but would be sooo much fun to play.  I would definitely play this in a friendly/non-tournament draft.  You forgot to include the Drowned Catacomb.  It is a sweet 9th pick.

Thanks for the comment.  Doh!  Can't believe I forgot to put in my nonbasic. XD

Probably part of what makes drafting mill so much fun though is simply the fact that it very rarely ever works out.  This is one of the times it does work (seeing 4 Jace's Erasures is astounding), so I had to go back and try.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Started red-focused, thought I might add green.   Pack 2's Sun Titan made me pivot to white, and Pack 3's burn bonanza allows me to build a heavily red RW deck I'm very happy with.

Round 1:
Fireball
Blood Ogre
Goblin Fireslinger
Diabolic Tutor
Bonebreaker Giant
Naturalize
Reclaim
Goblin Arsonist
Brindle Boar
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Slaughter Cry
Goblin War Paint
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Cudgel Troll
Thran Golem
Birds of Paradise
Goblin Grenade
Stave Off
Goblin Arsonist
Rampant Growth
Griffin Rider
Pride Guardian
Firebreathing
Firebreathing
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Stormfront Pegasus
Volcanic Dragon
Chandra's Outrage
Incinerate
Incinerate
Stormblood Berserker
Griffin Sentinel
Manic Vandal
Fiery Hellhound
Fling
Goblin Fireslinger
Redirect
Turn to Frog
Reclaim
Island

Build:

10 Mountains
6 Plains
__

2 Goblin Fireslingers
2 Goblin Arsonists
1 Goblin Tunneler
1 Stormblood Berseker
1 Blood Ogre
1 Manic Vandal
1 Fiery Hellhound
1 Gorehorn Minotaurs
1 Bonebreaker Giant
1 Volcanic Dragon
1 Stormfront Pegasus
1 Griffin Sentinel
1 Sun Titan
____

1 Goblin Grenade
1 Firebreathing
2 Incinerate
1 Fling
1 Slaughter Cry
1 Chandra's Outrage
1 Fireball
1 Stave Off
____

Perhaps an additional Fling, also it's possible to make the Thran Golem viable.

This is my first time posting, as I am a drafting newbie. I haven't actually had a chance at attending a draft tournament but I thought I'd give it a try.
Please let me know what your constructive criticisms are and please don't assume that I had the slightest clue that I knew what I was doing ;) (beyond just trying to make choices that would seem to fit well)

Round 1:
Grand Abolisher
Gladecover Scout
Stormfront Pegasus
Kite Shield
Unsummon
Fog
Divine Favor
Personal Sanctuary
Mighty Leap
Angel's Mercy
Bountiful Harvest
Phantasmal Bear
Bountiful Harvest
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Griffin Rider
Gladecover Scout
Thran Golem
Birds of Paradise
Llanowar Elves
Stave Off
Gladecover Scout
Rampant Growth
Demystify
Pride Guardian
Mesa Enchantress
Flight
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Carnage Wurm
Titanic Growth
Titanic Growth
Roc Egg
Timely Reinforcements
Reclaim
Angel's Feather
Llanowar Elves
Llanowar Elves
Brindle Boar
Demystify
Lifelink
Alluring Siren
Goblin Tunneler
Island

Deck List:

Creature (13)
1x Birds of Paradise
1x Carnage Wurm
2x Gladecover Scout
1x Grand Abolisher
1x Griffin Rider
3x Llanowar Elves
1x Pride Guardian
1x Roc Egg
1x Stormfront Pegasus
1x Sun Titan

Other (11)
1x Fog
1x Mighty Leap
1x Naturalize
1x Reclaim
1x Stave Off
1x Titanic Growth
1x Angel's Feather
1x Lifelink
1x Personal Sanctuary
1x Timely Reinforcements

Land (16)
8x Forest
8x Plains

I would consider this a G/W aggro/ramp deck.
The elves/birds help me get out that Sun Titan and Carnage Wurm faster and the other cards are built around getting out quick and keeping me defended/gaining life.

Again, please let me know your thoughts on how this could be better constructed  

Fireball seemed to easy to first pick so I decided to try to go mono black. 
Ran out of black to pick on pick 6 so decided to splash white to see what I'd find,
I think I came out strong enough.  Card drawing from the Enchantress (true there's only
4 enchantments there), Smallpox and the 2 skeletons work for a fun combo (or the Sun
Titan, but where doesn't a Titan work well?), and lots of life gain.  Third pack had
almost nothing in it, so more hate draft than anything at that point.  When you take 
out all the nonrelevant picks this is how I came out.

16 Creatures
9 Spells   
16 Lands 

Round 1:
Vampire Outcasts
Smallpox
Smallpox
Blood Seeker
Child of Night
Divine Favor
Divine Favor
Reassembling Skeleton
Grand Abolisher
Lifelink

Round 2:
Sun Titan
Duskhunter Bat
Reassembling Skeleton
Drifting Shade
Elite Vanguard
Tormented Soul
Child of Night
Lifelink
Pride Guardian
Mesa Enchantress

Round 3:
Doom Blade
Bloodrage Vampire
Roc Egg
Timely Reinforcements
Blood Seeker
Lifelink

I think you are drastically overvaluing the Crown; its a colorless doom blade that requires you to triple stone rain yourself, in a format where all the guys are more or less identical aggressive beaters. In a slower format it might be a higher pick, but in M12, it was barely worth playing. I'd rather just grab some more beaters. For the pick where you chose a crown, I think a Fireslinger is a signifigantly better choice. Its red's premier enabler in M12, which you are already interested in having grabbed Fireball and Blood Ogre, and it sets you up to be much more aggressive (ie, better as far as M12 is concerned). If you absolutely must have removal for that pick, Sorin's Thirst is a better choice, and leads you nicely towards aggressive red/black.

I disagree with the analysis although I agree that Fireslinger is a perfectly acceptable pick. 

Crown is not akin to a doomblade in that it targets your opponent's best creature every turn.  Unless you are coming across a super aggressive deck, it is likely that after turn 5 or 6 (and there are almost no decks quick enough to beat you before then) it is likely that you will have the mana open to deal with your opponent's best threat. 

While I agree that Fireslinger is a fine pick here I am not sure that Sorin's Thirst is.  As with my comments on taking the Pegasus here, it is generally my approach to try and keep in one colour as long as possible in order to keep yourself open for what comes round in packs 2 and 3.  I thinking taking a card here after taking two very strong red cards is a bad call. 
This is my first time posting, as I am a drafting newbie. I haven't actually had a chance at attending a draft tournament but I thought I'd give it a try.
Please let me know what your constructive criticisms are and please don't assume that I had the slightest clue that I knew what I was doing ;) (beyond just trying to make choices that would seem to fit well)

Deck List:

Creature (13)
1x Birds of Paradise
1x Carnage Wurm
2x Gladecover Scout
1x Grand Abolisher
1x Griffin Rider
3x Llanowar Elves
1x Pride Guardian
1x Roc Egg
1x Stormfront Pegasus
1x Sun Titan

Other (11)
1x Fog
1x Mighty Leap
1x Naturalize
1x Reclaim
1x Stave Off
1x Titanic Growth
1x Angel's Feather
1x Lifelink
1x Personal Sanctuary
1x Timely Reinforcements

Land (16)
8x Forest
8x Plains

The elves/birds help me get out that Sun Titan and Carnage Wurm faster and the other cards are built around getting out quick and keeping me defended/gaining life.

For a first time drafter, your deck looks ok.  Are you new to the game, or just new to drafting?  I don't have a lot of time right now, but I will try to go back through your picks later to give you some advice.

When you are drafting, you want to decide if you are trying to build an aggro or tempo deck.  This will make picking easier.  Your deck has some nice acceleration, but not much to do with it.  You have 2 cards that can utitilize your Birds and Elves being in play.  You are a light on offensive creatures, although the Egg will help once it dies.  This would be a great target for the Titan. I would remove the Griffin Rider and put in Brindle Boar.  The Rider is good if you have plenty of Griffins in the deck, but you have none.  I would also put in Thran Golem.  This isn't a great card in limited, unless you have a lot of enchantments which you are light on to make best use of the Golem.  But you are light on offensive creatures, so I would include it here and remove a Gladecover Scout.

Since you would put in the Golem, I would also include Divine Favor.  This will give you 2 chances to make the Golem a threat.  I would take out Angel's Feather for the Favor.  Also remove Personal Sanctuary as this won't be useful in limited.  It is a good card if you have cards that deal you damage, doesn't happen enough in limited to make it useful and your opponent will just deal damage to you on his turn.  Put another Titanic Growth in instead.  Naturalize is usually a sideboard card, but will have the potential of being useful in M12 limited.  You could always include Angel's Mercy instead of Fog, if you are worried about taking a lot of damage from opponent.  Casting this should not be a problem.  You shouldn't have a problem casting this, and it will net you 7 every time.  If you take a lot of damage in one turn in game 1, you can just replace Mercy with Fog.

Looking at your deck a bit more, you are 1 card short.  So you can put back in a Scout.  Scount isn't good without enchantment or something permanent to pump it up.  But at least it will give you another creature to deal damage to an opponent if you have Carnage Wurm in your hand.  Setting off Bloodthirst in this deck will be difficult.  Timely Reinforcements is a great card.  With the Guardian, Reinforcements and Mercy in the deck you can gain 16 life.  That will make it much tougher for an opponent to kill you in limited.  This also doesn't include the Lifelink or the Boar.  If you can get this on the Golem, you are gaining 5 per turn with this. Gain 6 or 9 with the Wurm.  So here are the changes I would make.

-1 Griffin Rider
-1 Angel's Feather
-1 Fog

+1 Brindle Boar
+1 Thran Golem
+1 Divine Favor
+1 Angel's Mercy

Hope this helps.  Post back with any questions or comments on the suggestions.  I will look more in-depth at your draft picks later when I have more time.

Crown is not akin to a doomblade in that it targets your opponent's best creature every turn.  Unless you are coming across a super aggressive deck, it is likely that after turn 5 or 6 (and there are almost no decks quick enough to beat you before then) it is likely that you will have the mana open to deal with your opponent's best threat. 

The problem here is that M12 was fast. It wasn't about dropping bombs, it was about amassing a high enough density of threatening monsters. In a slower draft environment, I'm right behind you, crown would be great. M11 would have loved crown. In M12, though, crown is just too slow to actually do anything, and the thing it does isn't even that great, since all the creatures on the other side of the table are basically equivalent. I don't think I've seen a pro take crown other than out of a completely empty pack, regardless of who they are or whether they prefer control or aggro. In M12, you play aggro, and you play faster and more threats than the other guy, or you lose while you triple stone rain yourself in order to "kill" the best of 4 basically equivalent monsters on the other side of the table.

This isn't even touching on the fact that it does nothing to remove utility creatures like Gideon's Lawkeeper, Merfolk Looter, or any of the Mages (Alabaster Mage, for example); thats why I would strongly suggest real removal like Sorin's Thirst over crown.
At a glance I'd cut Firebreathing, Hunter's Insight, and Kite Shield favor of Plummet, Manic Vandal, and Trollhide.  Trollhide can make your Sacred Wolves good, I'd even put in a second Trollhide in in lieu of a Greater Basilisk, to increase your chance of creating a very hard to stop super-charged Thran Golem.
got some decent picks with a red/black vampire/goblin deck. wouldnt have minded pulling a few more blood seekers though. could have done better but you know how it goes. should of gone with green/blue though there were some better picks and nice abilities.

Round 1:
Fireball
Child of Night
Goblin Fireslinger
Blood Seeker
Child of Night
Lava Axe
Taste of Blood
Disentomb
Distress
Goblin Tunneler
Fling
Fling
Dark Favor
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Bonebreaker Giant
Goblin Fireslinger
Zombie Goliath
Hideous Visage
Swamp
Swamp
Child of Night
Brink of Disaster
Mind Rot
Duskhunter Bat
Goblin Tunneler
Mountain
Firebreathing
Tormented Soul
Mountain

Round 3:
Fiery Hellhound
Lightning Elemental
Bloodrage Vampire
Lightning Elemental
Firebreathing
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker
Act of Treason
Zombie Infestation
Goblin Bangchuckers
Jace's Erasure
Zombie Infestation
Swamp
Mountain
Island

At a glance I'd cut Firebreathing, Hunter's Insight, and Kite Shield favor of Plummet, Manic Vandal, and Trollhide.  Trollhide can make your Sacred Wolves good, I'd even put in a second Trollhide in in lieu of a Greater Basilisk, to increase your chance of creating a very hard to stop super-charged Thran Golem.

Who's deck are you refering to?

Round 1:
Grand Abolisher - If you want to go white, this is the best pick.  I you want the best card, that would be Fireball. Vampire Outcasts is also a good pick if you had any thoughts of black.  Belltower Sphinx is a decent card, but not the best pick.  You would have been better off picking red or black.  Everything else will be available for later picks, usually.
Gladecover Scout - Since you started off white, Alabaster Mage is the best pick for you.  Keeps you in the same color, and it is a good card.  Blood Ogre may be the best card in this pick.  Scouts can almost always be picked towards the end of the pack.
Stormfront Pegasus - Good pick.  Keeps you in the same color, and it is a good creature.
Kite Shield - Armored Warhorse would be the correct choice.  The shield is a defensive card, and is good for tempo decks.  Your first few picks have been aggro style.  Warhorse is definitely aggro.  Wring Flesh would also be a good card to grab.  It is a good removal spell.  Removal usually gets taken early, so you won't find it much in later picks.
Unsummon - Unless you are thinking of playing blue, leave this card and pick something in-color.  With low casting cost creatures in your deck, if this is played against you it will usually be a bad draw.  You have some good options with Benalish Veteran and Greater Basilisk.  I would go for the Veteran, since it is still in-color and good aggro card.  Basilisk is more of a tempo card, but a good addition for a late drop in an aggro deck.
Fog - This is an ok pick, for sideboard.  Naturalize may be a better good pick for the sideboard.  I would probably have picked Divine Favor.  Again it's in color and it helps with toughening up your weenies, that you have been picking.  Scouts aren't good unless you can pump them up.
Divine Favor - Good pick.  Brindle Boar is a good creature to grab late, if you are wanting to go green, this is a better choice if you choose the Favor last pick.
Personal Sanctuary - This is a very narrow card, not good in limited.  If you want a bigger creature Siege Mastodon is good.  Trollhide is best pick.  You already picked some green, and this is a good card to through on the Scout.
Mighty Leap - Good pick.  Gives your small creatures evasion and a power boost for more damage.  Shock is a good card, good removal this late is unusual and may indicate red is not being drafted heavily. 
Angel's Mercy - Not much left at this point, so take the best cards or the best in color.
Bountiful Harvest- I would pull Fling.  Even if you are not going red, this will keep it out of some elses deck.
Phantasmal Bear - Best of the options.
Bountiful Harvest
Dragon's Claw
Mountain

Round 2:
Sun Titan - Definitely the right pick.  Even if you are not in white, you would want to hate pick this card.  Nothing else compares to this pick.
Griffin Rider - Good pick if you already have several griffins.  This will come around later in the pack, so I would focus on picking up griffins before the Rider.  It just happens that Assault Griffin is the best pick.  Evasion and good size.
Gladecover Scout - Not much to choose from at this point.  It's either the Scout or the Siege Mastodon.  Both are fine picks.
Thran Golem - Good pick if you have already picked up some enchant creatures.  You have 1 Favor, and you could of had a Trollhide.  You can always grab more enchants to make him a much better creature.  If you are staying away from enchantments, then Greater Basilisk is a better choice.
Birds of Paradise- Good choice.  Some may argue that Elite Vanguard is a better choice for an aggro deck.  Since you have the Sun Titan, and if you have picked some other bigger bodies as suggested, this is the right choice.  I do like getting mana acceleration when available, with no better options and if it is needed.
Llanowar Elves - Decent pick, but I feel there are better picks in this pack.  Sacred Wolf looks a little better, especially if you have a Trollhide or Divine Favor to put on it.  Autumn's Veil is also a good choice for sideboard.
Stave Off - Good choice.  Will be a good combat trick or prevent a removal spell.
Gladecover Scout - Good choice.  I may have chosen a second Stave Off since you already have 2 Scouts.
Rampant Growth - Titanic Growth is the best pick.  You don't need mana fixing and you already have 2 mana producers.  Growth is a much more useful card in a aggro deck.
Demystify - Good sideboard card.  Runeclaw Bear is also good, if you are looking for more creatures.
Pride Guardian - Again late in the pack take whatever.  Goblin Arsonist is a option for a hate pick.
Mesa Enchantress - Even though it's a rare, Fog could be useful siding in.
Flight
Naturalize
Mountain

Round 3:
Carnage Wurm - Great pick.  Stormfront Pegasus is a good card for your deck, but the Wurm is the right choice.
Titanic Growth - There are a couple better options.  Armored Warhorse is a good creature.  I would choose Arachnus Web.  This is removal for green, which you don't have any of so far.
Titanic Growth - Hunter's Insight is a better pick.  It will help you refill your hand in mid/late game.  Stalling out is a problem for aggro decks.
Roc Egg - I like this pick.  This is a defensive card, but I like what it turns into after it hatches.  Plus this is a good target for the Titan.
Timely Reinforcements - Good pick.  It's the best option.  Guardians' Pledge is a viable pick since it could be a finisher, if you have more white than green.  You made the right choice.
Reclaim - Personally not a fan of Reclaim.  It may get something back that is good, but you have to wait a turn to get it.  Arachnus Web is better.  Good removal for this deck.
Angel's Feather - Plummet is definitely the way to go, really the only option in this pack.  This deck will have an issue against a lot of fliers.  This can take out a big threat and we have seen a Volcanic Dragon being passed.  The Feather is a bad card, it typically never gets played, even in constructed.
Llanowar Elves - Good pick, and so is Hunter's Insight.  If you already picked the Insight before, Elves are a little more tempting.  Both are a good choice.  I would have picked the Insight, because I like to go with card advantage.
Llanowar Elves - Good choice.
Brindle Boar - Only choice.
Demystify - Same.
Lifelink
Alluring Siren
Goblin Tunneler
Island

Hopefully this gives you some things to think about while drafting.  These are just my opinions, so other may disagree.  It really has to do with what play style you are most comfortable with.  I tend to be more of a defensive player by nature, but have moved towards aggressive play style.  I've received some good critiques in this simulator board.  Keep coming back, you will gain knowledge and become a better drafter over time.  Real drafts are important also, because you can see the outcome of picks.  Simulator can help you improve your decision making and deck building.  Best thing about the simulator, it's free.  Best value for your $.  Hope this helps.
I've started using magicdraftsim.com to practice my DKA/ISD drafts in preperation for my friendly local game store's events.

I didn't know about that site.  It is pretty cool.  The only thing that would make it better is if you could discuss the draft and/or deck builds after you are finished.  I just drafted an awesome deck.  Here are some of the cards I drafted, from memory since I forgot to export the decklist:

1 x Delver of Secrets
1 x Ashmouth Hound
2 x Bloodcrazed Neonate
1 x Erdwal Ripper
1 x Stitcher's Apprentice
1 x Murder of Crows
1 x Mirror-Mad Phantasm
1 x Rage Thrower

3 x Griptide
2 x Nightbird's Clutches
2 x Desperate Ravings
1 x Burning Oil
1 x Geistflame
1 x Think Twice
1 x Grimoire of the Dead
1 x Trepanation Blade

There were some other filler creatures and maybe another spell.  I would be happy to get a deck like this in a real draft.  I wish I could play this to see how it does.  If I only had a local playgroup...

Sign In to post comments