Looking for 'draw and go' commanders

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get into EDH and I would like to create a permission deck with a draw go strategy as my starting deck. I want something that can win games relatively consistently in both 1v1 and multiplayer. In terms of colours, I like blue and black, but anything is fine really. Budget is not an issue.

Thanks for responses in advance!
OooooOOOOooOOOOOooo non-budget decks.  WOOT.

You could make an amazing Zur deck.  That's fairly close to permission.  Other UB commanders that could do the trick Dralnu, Lich Lord or Circu, Dimir Lobotomist.

Zur will likely be the most consistent of these.

What cards do you have access to?  P3K, various legends cards?
I find Nin, the Paint Artist and Niv-Mizzet the Firemind both tend to be draw/go-ish.
H mm, now that I think about it:

Zedruu the Greathearted qualifies as a draw go.
She is called Azami, lady of scrolls. Hardly anything beats her for that kind of play.

Jenara, asura of war is another option if you want more offensive powers.

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

She is called Azami, lady of scrolls. Hardly anything beats her for that kind of play.

Jenara, asura of war is another option if you want more offensive powers.

I have looked into Azami, and as fun as she looks to play, apparently she attracts alot of hate and I don't really want to get to the stage where nobody wants to play me Frown

Currently I'm looking at vendilion clique, but I heard he isn't that great in a multiplayer situation.

Other generals I'm looking into are Wydwen, the biting gale and Dralnu, lich lord. How to these compare to Azami in terms of consistency?

Thanks again for the replies!

Other generals I'm looking into are Wydwen, the biting gale and Dralnu, lich lord. How to these compare to Azami in terms of consistency?

Thanks again for the replies!

Oh Wydwen... She was my first EDH general. Here is a link to my deck list for her. Check it out. I really like to play her.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ub-control-fatty...
Nothing beats Azami for consistency. The fact that her ability is not a tap ability, makes her completely bonkers. Even if the enemy have terminate in their hand when you cast it you get to draw cards, so even with no other wizards out you get a 1 for 1. That is why she is so tense, and so hated.

Its a bit hard to know what you want though. All good commanders gets hated on, even edric, spymaster of trest. If you want awesome that has a slightly lower chance of beeing hated you could go with him

Zur the enchanter is another awesome controlcommander, but he also gets hated out of this world, and he requires a lot of buildaround.

And Dralnu is suicide in commander. You will have way more threats to deal with than you cna deal with, and once he gets hit you are pretty much dead. He is not really good, but becomes a huge target simply because his drawback sets you into the stoneage. So, he is the opposite of waht you want  

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

Just play Doran, the Siege Tower. Then next turn Hero's Resolve and Might of Oaks out of nowhere. GWB can go hard in control+aggro.
Rayne, Boss Lady, my personal favorite general.

<----- Loser.

Empress Galina makes alot of people stop and think, it can also paint you as a target though.

<----- Loser.

vendilion clique.  Run with tunnel vision for super duper extra funtimes.

Thats just nasty.

At my local shop i just lost to a thought lash given to me once the skipping to pay the upkeep by zedruu the greathearted I was all tapped out and had no answers......
Vend is insane dueling-wise, although tunnel vision is just silly. You outrace anything in existance (except technically Thrun on the play) and can play draw-go. Just... eat someone already.

That being said, for duels I'd aim for Tepheri, Mage of Zalfir.

He eats any other control, and since he has flash he fits into your gameplan.

There's enough ways to lock the game out with him around for you to reliably own the game once you've got him down.

Azami is good too, but she just seems too... good at combo to play her as draw-go. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
vendilion clique.  Run with tunnel vision for super duper extra funtimes.

Thats just nasty.

At my local shop i just lost to a thought lash given to me once the skipping to pay the upkeep by zedruu the greathearted I was all tapped out and had no answers......

Agree, Vendilion and Tunnel is Nasty. But i think Thought Lash would be better with Laboratory Maniac will even combo with Leveler.
but i do like the thought of Comboing Zedruu the Greathearted with Hanna, Ship's Navigator and Bronze Bombshell

That combo no longer works.  They ettera'd Thought Lash to read "When a player doesn't pay Thought Lash's cumulative upkeep, that player exiles all cards from his or her library".  So basically, if the Zedruu player chooses not to pay Thought Lash's cumulative upkeep, they will exile every card in their library, even if he or she then donates Thought Lash.  They also ettera'd Heart of Bogardan in a similar way.  

Source:  gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

No one has mentioned Venser, Shaper Savant, this guy rocks as a Draw-Go commander.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
Huh, three flash commanders so far.  Nifty.

BTW Pero, are those your cards in your avatar?  I only have an unlimited set...

BTW Pero, are those your cards in your avatar?  I only have an unlimited set...

Yes, they are mine, but don't be too impressed, they're only Collector's Edition.

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
Thanks for the suggestions!! I'm leaning towards Azami at the moment, but does anyone think Oona, Queen of the fae can serve a similar role?

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'm leaning towards Azami at the moment, but does anyone think Oona, Queen of the fae can serve a similar role?

Oona is cool but she hardly does the same job, since Azami basically let you draw counterspells to control the board directly.