Will V4 Beta having avatars and tables again?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
That would be nice to have avatars and tables again..even if they were just static pictures like this

IMAGE(http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/VenomGGXX/table.jpg)
No, and I've never understood why anyone would want them.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
It's to increase immersion..like you're really in a card shop..I miss that with v2
But I could never get a casual game with that view. It was a major hinderance. It was a bit better in the tournement rooms as the tables you wanted to find where static and all in one place. but we also have about x5 as many queues now so that would probably be really confusing too.

I did like the claping though. and avatar bling would have been nice if I ever earnt any.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

It's to increase immersion..like you're really in a card shop..I miss that with v2

I heartily agree.

I'm not one to want DotP-like 3D shenanigans on MTGO (in fact, I really don't want them), but the sense of immersion we got with the tables and avatars certainly beats the ugly dark tournament interface we have now.
ricklongo and RicardoLongo on MTGO. Check out my articles at PureMTGO
Seeing a wizard slowly turn to dust, or a happy Bird of Paradise wearing a party hat (?), I learned to love it. Especially the commentary of such occasions... ("The Kavu should just eat the Wizard and be done with it!")

Now, if MTGO went back to those days I would expect the memory ruined and often playing against a Pony. And with many of today's online micro transaction schemes, the pony would have numerous hats and animated reactions.

Oh, static pictures? Perhaps for achievements if that ever slips through the door. ("I beat 99 Jaces. One more and I have something for the trophy page!") And casuals. Always the casuals.
When drafting, I'd like to be able to see an animated draft table, showing who's picked and who's taking their time.
When drafting, I'd like to be able to see an animated draft table, showing who's picked and who's taking their time.

That is the only valid reason for having any type of avatar view.

However, it can be accomplished just as easily with a simple text list.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to see who we are waiting on, but I'd like to see whom I am being passed from and passing to.  I don't see the advantage of knowing player X is holding up the draft.  What are you going to do, harass them?  I don't see any good coming from it, especially since our chat is made invisible during drafts (it still does that, right?).

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

That is the only valid reason for having any type of avatar view.

However, it can be accomplished just as easily with a simple text list.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to see who we are waiting on, but I'd like to see whom I am being passed from and passing to.  I don't see the advantage of knowing player X is holding up the draft.  What are you going to do, harass them?  I don't see any good coming from it, especially since our chat is made invisible during drafts (it still does that, right?).

It does it in the draft chat, but not in other rooms.

I can chat in the entry room just fine, but it mutes me in the actual draft.  Kinda bizarre actually. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Odd, when did that change?  It used to make your text invisible throughout the whole client.

You could still talk in other places, but you couldn't see your own text (kinda disconcerting, heh).  The same was true for everyone else in the draft, so the 8 of you could talk to the world at large, but your text would be invisible to yourselves and the other 7 players.  Did they really change this?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I'm pretty sure thats still the case, hence why you have a heap of people typing '.' into the event room after their pod in the 64 player draft finishes (but not all pods are finished yet so they have to wait until then before deckbuilding comes up), then disconnecting and reconnecting because they think they have lost connection, etc etc etc.

It happens in every single one, there needs to be some kind of a message that comes up after your draft finishes before deck building to state that you are waiting on other drafts to finish. 
Personally, I don't think it's necessary to see who we are waiting on, but I'd like to see whom I am being passed from and passing to.  I don't see the advantage of knowing player X is holding up the draft.  What are you going to do, harass them?...

It might not add to your play experience, but it would add to mine. On the rare occasion that I play in a paper draft, I like to look around to see what the other players are up to. Knowing that a player takes a particularly long time for each pick is great information for a competitive player. And, if I get paired up with them I won't be surprised if they play very slowly as well. In additon, online if I know that there are a bunch of packs backed up by one player, I know I'll have time to turn around and play with my cat.

Or, they could suppress this information for the same reason they decided to suppress ratings.

5 reasons off the top of my head...being able to see draft seating, easily being able to see who youre waiting on in an event and what game they're on rather than dealing with the buggy text list, make avatars less useless/let people customize their account to some extent(more so than the little box you see your life total in now), feeling more like you're playing cards at a table than sitting at a computer screen, they look cool.
I heard we're supposed to post in green if we don't like the new forums.

5 reasons off the top of my head...being able to see draft seating, easily being able to see who youre waiting on in an event and what game they're on rather than dealing with the buggy text list, make avatars less useless/let people customize their account to some extent(more so than the little box you see your life total in now), feeling more like you're playing cards at a table than sitting at a computer screen, they look cool.

1) As has already been stated, this can be done better elsewise (and is in the new client).
2) Sort by games. Works 99% of the time (100% if the listings operate properly).
3) This is a card game, not an RPG.
4) How? Again, this is not an RPG; "immersion" isn't high on the list of objectives.
5) Use one of the Arcana wallpapers as your Windows background.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

1) As has already been stated, this can be done better elsewise (and is in the new client).

Agreed. That adds a lot to my draft experience.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Maybe this is more of an opinion than I first realized, but I just don't see why you wouldn't rather see the avatars than a list of words...I feel like the "this is a card game not an rpg" argument is mroe of a reaon to have the avatars as it makes it like youre playing in a paper tournament, whereas without them it's more like youre playing a computer game. It's not like I'm asking for the cards to pop up and fight each other like on yugioh.

Also unless you mean easier for wotc, I don't see how it's easier to list draft seatings than to look at them(ditto on checking who is still playing...maybe you'd rather look at a list of words but it seems infinitely better to me to see the tables), and to be honest I find it weird that this is some people's opinion of the only valid reason to have avatars when in my mind it's the only valid reason not to...they already removed ratings so it's not like youre getting an idea of how good the person passing to you is, it just lets you know what cards were passed to that person if you play them, yet it makes it easier for people to cheat and join the same draft and find out where they're seated in relation to each other.

Don't really see any reason we can't have both options unless wotc just doenst wanna program it

Edit: and I don't mean those terrible 3d avatars that looked dumb and were a huge waste of resources, the cool 2.5 ones
I heard we're supposed to post in green if we don't like the new forums.