New DM, lots of questions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am filling in for a DM because he wants a break so these may seem like very noob like questions.  Thats because they are and I am.  The problem is I am being told things but I can't find the rulings in  my readings.  There is a lot of reading...  

1.  How does telepathy work.  One of my co-players is playing a shardmind Psion.  (not a good idea for a new DM by the way).  He has telepathic abilities but I don't understand how they work.  Can he read anyones mind he wants to wether they like it or not?  Can he make noise in peoples mind wether they like it or not? 

2.  If you are knocked down by half your health do you automatically fall unconscious?

3.  Feat bonuses do not stack.  Does this mean a bonus that comes from a feat or does the bonus have to say it is a feat bonus?

4.  When is a good time to have a solo monster and how strong is too strong?  I realize this is a judgement call but I want  some feed back.  What criteria do people use to decide wether it is a good match up for the adventurers.  Note: we don't have a healer so I am trying not to get them killed.  Hopefully soon they will.

If you have reading suggestions or specific rules you know of for these I would also appreciate that.  Thanks

I am filling in for a DM because he wants a break so these may seem like very noob like questions.  Thats because they are and I am.  The problem is I am being told things but I can't find the rulings in  my readings.  There is a lot of reading...  

1.  How does telepathy work.  One of my co-players is playing a shardmind Psion.  (not a good idea for a new DM by the way).  He has telepathic abilities but I don't understand how they work.  Can he read anyones mind he wants to wether they like it or not?  Can he make noise in peoples mind wether they like it or not? 

2.  If you are knocked down by half your health do you automatically fall unconscious?

3.  Feat bonuses do not stack.  Does this mean a bonus that comes from a feat or does the bonus have to say it is a feat bonus?

4.  When is a good time to have a solo monster and how strong is too strong?  I realize this is a judgement call but I want  some feed back.  What criteria do people use to decide wether it is a good match up for the adventurers.  Note: we don't have a healer so I am trying not to get them killed.  Hopefully soon they will.

If you have reading suggestions or specific rules you know of for these I would also appreciate that.  Thanks

1. It works exactly how the power says it works. Nothing more, nothing less. This is how 4e works in general. Powers only do what they say they do.

2. No. You become bloodied at 1/2 health.

3. Only if it says "feat bonus" in the description.

4. Solo doesn't always mean that it is fought by itself. There can be some fodder around. As far as how to set it up, the DMG outlines the encounter design really well. I'd try to learn what your party is capable of before throwing that at them, though. Or run an adventure that has one to get an idea.
Telepathy

A creature that has telepathy can communicate mentally with any creature that has a language, even if they don’t share the language. The other creature must be within line of effect and within a specified range. Telepathy allows for two-way communication.

2.  No

3.  It must say the text "feat bonus."  A bonus provided from a feat is not necessarily a feat bonus.

4.  An solo has the same experience budget as four standard monsters, and they're intended to be about as threatening.  So, if you were to use six standards in a fight, you could consider a solo and two standards.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition