Any "Lord of The Rings" based d20? Or suggestions on converting D&D into LOTR:d20

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
As said in title, I would like to do a LOTR center d20.
More accepted in christian circles and contains alot of the same lore, and 10000% less of the negative taboo.
Anyone got any suggestions on how to convert D&D into LOTR or of one currently available?

I didnt make this thread to cause debates or hear about how my beliefs are wrong.
Im hoping this community will show me the love its famed for, and help me out plz

I asked in the last thread about the extent and nature of the taboo in question - should I take, from this post, that the objection is not to fantasy, or role-playing, or tabletop dice games, but specifically to D&D itself?

In that case:  You could homebrew up a "Not D&D" worldbook out of the D20 SRD, but you'd be re-inventing the wheel in a lot of cases and you would, fundamentally, be using D&D's rules to make "D&D, but slightly different".  You will be referencing a D&D document hosted on D&D's website.

You might be better off starting with a non-D&D mechanics. 

* Grab a copy of Middle Earth Roleplaying System and all your work is done for you already. 

* If you really like D20, pick up Pathfinder, but be ready to address the complaint that "this is just D&D but they've changed the name!" because, well, IT IS.  And the reasons for changing the name make perfect sense, but that might cause you the same "no D&D" problems as D&D itself would, with the added suspicion that the name was changed to "avoid stigma and fool rubes".  You'll know better than us if that's likely to cause complaints.

* If you like gritty and detailed systems, look at GURPS.   It's a little slow and very complicated, but the Dungeon Fantasy supplements present a bunch of simplifications to let you build whatever fantasy setting you want, and it has no default setting - you can put your GURPS game in Middle Earth without an issue.

* If you like fast, action-oriented systems, look at Savage Worlds.  Again, no default setting, and it resolves in a flash compared to GURPS or D20. 
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
The Googles have found this:  Someone's already done all the work for you, for D20.

Someone else has a different version over at The Order Of The Stick.

Both of those look like decent places to mine for ideas, although I haven't read them in any detail to find out if the authors are cracked or not.

Someone else also suggested grabbing The Wheel Of Time RPG - it uses D20, the setting is focused around a prophecied Christ-figure, there are no gods except The Creator and it lends itself very well to parable-style stories.  It might be a good place to look.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Sign In to post comments