Editorial Moderation Request Thread

103 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for users to request VCL moderation (thread moves, locks, topic clarifications). I am subscribing to this thread, so I should receive an e-mail whenever a new reply is made. I will evaluate the request and take action if I deem it appropriate. This thread replaces the previous request thread on Boards Business.

Please DO NOT use this thread to make ORC-type moderation requests (spam, harassment, disruption, etc.). These should still be reported using the "Report Post" button.

Please DO NOT make moderation requests of any kind in the thread you wish moderated. Any such posts will be considered disruption and a Code of Conduct violation.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I request this thread be stickied

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I request this thread be stickied

That request was made immediately after the thread was.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Please lock community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... as a duplicate of the Shuffler thread.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
Please unlock my thread 'Who is Dragonette/Monica'.

Per the stickied thread at the top of MOL Boards Business I posted it in General.

Thank you, Erik.
Im wondering why you locked my thread as a duplicate??
Im wondering why you locked my thread as a duplicate??

The post directly above mine gave the link for the thread you should've been posting in.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I didn't know where to post so that's why I made one. The guy from the article should've have a link to that thread instead of just saying post on the forums.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(bug)

Please move to DotP forums

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I protest the locking of this thread.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

It's the VCL's job to ask for a close of a thread unless it is a direct violation of the Terms/CoC.  Unless that has changed or if Sean has been given the power to ask for thread locks, it seems inappropriate.  We have not been told about any changes in forum moderation.  Are things changing?  If so you might want to let us know.

Discussion and debate of our VCL is appropriate and needed. 

It seems unfair to not allow the OP a chance to respond, or for other posters to have their say.

The thread was neither disruptive, nor did it look as if it were going to degenerate, nor cause heated argument.  The thread was not reported in this thread.

Closing a thread that has not caused any problems and is an appropriate topic is a bad precedent for these boards.

Please reopen this thread. 
Thank you, Erik.
I protest the locking of this thread.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

It's the VCL's job to ask for a close of a thread unless it is a direct violation of the Terms/CoC.  Unless that has changed or if Sean has been given the power to ask for thread locks, it seems inappropriate.  We have not been told about any changes in forum moderation.  Are things changing?  If so you might want to let us know.

Discussion and debate of our VCL is appropriate and needed. 

It seems unfair to not allow the OP a chance to respond, or for other posters to have their say.

The thread was neither disruptive, nor did it look as if it were going to degenerate, nor cause heated argument.  The thread was not reported in this thread.

Closing a thread that has not caused any problems and is an appropriate topic is a bad precedent for these boards.

I wholeheartedly agree with Algona. We have strict guidelines for moderations on these boards, and we need that for a healthy environment. Randomly locking threads because you disagree with the opinions voiced therein shouldn't happen. Our brand new overenthousiastic community liaison states:

"Without a more in-depth reason on why he’s “not good for the boards” or a response from the original poster, I don’t see how this thread is relevant (locking it)."

OK, fine. Reopen the thread and I'll provide a lenghty well thought out, in-depth opinion on why I think Bubba needs to stop as VCL.

As I posted in the "your new community coordinator" thread, I'm also opposed to this type of tomfoolery.

On one hand, I feel kinda like we are being all "waaaaaah, you can't come in here and disrupt the status quo!".  But, really, that closure seems pretty flippant and not like a good way to run a community....

Yeah, that thread was pretty much over either way, but it's more the principle of the matter.  Well, not even that really.  More like that I want Sean to understand that actions like that will not go over well with the community, so it could lead to some bad times down the road.

Two business days and no response? 

I can understand bubba wanting to check with Sean before responding, but two days for Sean to respond? Seriously?

Sean, not repsonding just ain't the right way to start your regime...
Thank you, Erik.
Two business days and no response? 

I can understand bubba wanting to check with Sean before responding, but two days for Sean to respond? Seriously?

Sean, not repsonding just ain't the right way to start your regime...

If you go by my first post about it, it's been longer...4 business days, actually.

Sigh. 

I ask that the posts discussing Sean in this thread be what? edited? removed? dipped in garlic sauce?

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Thank you, Erik.
Sigh. 

I ask that the posts discussing Sean in this thread be what? edited? removed? dipped in garlic sauce?

Since Trevor responded to it, I'd say it's fair game now.

First off, I apologize for the delay in responding to this thread. The delay wasn't meant as any kind of disrespect to any of you.

When locking the "Unhappy with VCL bubba0077" thread, my intention was to prevent possible direct harassment of either the OP or bubba. Furthermore without further explanation from the OP, the whole situation smelled of trolling/baiting in order to illicit a negative response from the community.

Is preemptively enforcing the CoC by locking a thread good practice? No, and frankly it's not my style. I didn't mean to come across as flippant or insulting to anyone who participated in the thread, and I apologize if I offended anybody in the process.

In cases where a complaint is being presented against a VCL or another player, I'd prefer that they be handled in a more official capacity. The best way to do that is to take it to private messages or report a specific thread to Customer Service. A debate over a matter such as this is worse than a debate over government politics - there's a slim chance anybody is going to convince anybody of anything.

@Daar if you have a complaint about VCL bubba please message it to me as well and we can discuss it.

Again, I didn't intend to insult or demean any of you with my moderation actions - just the opposite, actually. In the future if a thread needs locking, moving, or editing in any way, I'll make doubly sure that I've explained my reasoning for performing those actions in detail.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Disagreed, Daar.  I don't care if it's WotC folk helping dragging a thread OT. 

----------

"In cases where a complaint is being presented against a VCL or another player, I'd prefer that they be handled in a more official capacity. The best way to do that is to take it to private messages or report a specific thread to Customer Service. A debate over a matter such as this is worse than a debate over government politics - there's a slim chance anybody is going to convince anybody of anything."

Completely and totally disagreed, Sean.

Our VCL.  Our forums.  It is completely and totally proper for us to discuss the actions of our non CoC/ToS moderator here.  How else can we decide on policy and let bubba know what we disagree with?  How can bubba let us know why he did what he did?  One of the problems with the current ORC moderation system is way too often the offender and other posters are not told why they did what they did is wrong.  Please don't deny us the opportunity to find out possible VCL problems or changes in moderation techniques, decisions, and policy.

I also dispute that there can not be resolution of issues regarding VCL moderation.  We have a darn good 10-year history of rationally discussing moderation particulars and overall policy and arriving at satisfactory solutions.  The succesful mods here have always had a tendency to clearly explain what they were doing and listen to reasonable debate.

Until you, Sean, or someone else from WotC makes official changes on how these boards should be moderated, and tell us about such changes*, I believe you should not be locking threads.  You have more important fish to fry, let bubba, the ORCs, and us posters continue to succesfully handle forum moderation.

As an aside, you should know that one of your predecessors, the infamous Gamer0, alienated the MOL forum community in one day by making arbitrary, unannounced, and unexplained changes in our forums.

----------

Specifically about the thread lock in question...

Preemptive locking of a thread because it might go awry?  As I stated before, that is an awful, awful precedent.  If the thread did go bad, that's what the current MOD set up is for.  Posters here can and should stand by their posts, they do not need you to protect hem, it's what a healthy debating environment is about.

Sorry, Sean, you don't have the experience on these forums yet to make that call, it just does not happen here often enough for you to have intervened.  Look through the last few years of postings.  You'll see very few threads that required locking for getting out of hand, and none(?) that appeared to need preemptive locking.

Use your best resource if you have a concern about a thread.  Ask bubba what he thinks!

*Hopefully after full public discussion about the objectives and reasons behind any moderation changes.
Thank you, Erik.
Seconded. I was going to post something like that, except shorter and a bit less eloquent...

However, Algona, there are a few things that would require pre-emptive locking (if a nudge didn't work): politics, religion, and a couple other MTGO related things that I can't think of ATM but would know if I saw.

And, that's the point, actually, the reason there is a system set up is because precedent is used to determine if something should get locked or not (round these parts, a least).  Sean, you don't have the experience to know what should or should not be done with a thread (again, 'round these parts at least).  I was going to post the same, that you should never be locking threads (or moving, editing, etc, etc).  The only two exceptions would be:

1) Bubba (or whomever the current VCL is) specifically asks you to
2) [and this is a maybe] If you see a post in this thread and you just happen to be on and thus able to execute it quicker than the cumbersome system we currently ues.

If WotC has specifically tasked you with closing threads and moderating the forums, it would have been nice if we had also been informed as such. 

One good example is WotC_K, WotC_Vincent, WotC_MattT, and WotC_Lee.  I can't recall off the top of my head ever seeing one of them close a thread.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if K or Vincent had closed 2-3 over the course of 5 years.

One good example is WotC_K, WotC_Vincent, WotC_MattT, and WotC_Lee.  I can't recall off the top of my head ever seeing one of them close a thread.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if K or Vincent had closed 2-3 over the course of 5 years.

None of them are community coordinators. Sean has the standing, if not the experience, to close threads. We just haven't had one who actually participated around here since Solice.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

None of them are community coordinators. Sean has the standing, if not the experience, to close threads. We just haven't had one who actually participated around here since Solice.

I know that, but I see the majority of their interactions with us as how the coordinator job should be done.  The only real difference is the frequency (Sean being much more often) and perhaps the depth (Sean having more time to elaborate)*.  K, vincent, et al. have other stuff to do, but this is Sean's job.  Or, at least, I would assume Sean is assigned to spend more time doing that type of thing than k, vincent, etc (I'm sure he has other responsibilities).

This is, of course, how I see the position.  Obviously I'm not the boss, but WotC doesn't exactly define this type of thing for us (unless I missed it), so I'm left with my all alone with only my twisted sense of humor imagination to define what his job really is.

*I suppose there is also the additional benefit of someone "around more often" to gather our opinions and pass them along

This forum is a lot different from other forums I've particpated in. Thoughtful consideration and discussion actually carries the day here, without exception. It's not uncommon for a poster to concede a point or change their opinion based upon reasoned responses to their posts. In regards to the locked thread in question, it's not necessary for bubba to stand behind artificial protections like thread locking because his record speaks for itself and he's always been willing to calmly discuss questions about his job or decisions.

I'm all for rules and I don't want to sound elitist, suggesting the rules shouldn't apply to us. But we do deserve a consistant implementation of the rules we have, as well as notice of any rule changes and an opportunity to debate changes before they're set in stone.

Now there may be other WotC forums where an iron fist is needed, but not here. We're veterans of a game that, at times, seemed completely abandoned by WotC. We've perservered, maintaining a helpful attitude toward our peers and a mostly respectful attitude toward our Overlords, while providing input that has proved critical to the survival of this game. Not only would there be no useful forum without us, there would be no MTGO.

And to be honest, I'm not even sure what useful function a community coordinator performs. They either seem, at best, to have no effect whatsover or at worst a negative effect. 
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
And to be honest, I'm not even sure what useful function a community coordinator performs. They either seem, at best, to have no effect whatsover or at worst a negative effect. 

So far....
I still hold out hope that something good will come of one, one of these days.

While I do not think it was necessary to lock the thread, I don't think it's that big a deal.  I think it is simply a rookie mistake that can be learnt from.  To me it is clear that the thread would have died pretty quickly if it *was* trolling or baiting of some sort.  As was said in the thread, even if you do not agree with Bubba's opinion on something(s) it is unlikely that you find much flaw in how Bubba supports the community or interacts with the forum visitors.  I think that what we are seeing is more of a symptom of how the system currently exists.  We have extremely capable and knowledgable VCLs that are actually overseen by slightly less capable and knowledgeable WotC staff members (with regards to most things forum-wise).  It simply takes time to learn the ropes around here, and Bubba and other VCLs have a huge advantage there :D.
Hi, I hope this is the right place for this...I read Bubba's signature and think it is.

Can something be done in the "Your V4 Feelings" thread about a particular user's ranting about how much better V2 was than V3? Its way off topic.
Please keep this thread clear of conversation outside the topic of VCL editorial requests.

There's a post I've written HERE which should help further explain my goals and duties as Community Coordinator, including forum moderation and thread responses. Hopefully it alleviates some of the concerns that have been expressed.

Thanks all!

Sean Gibbons

I think this thread wanted to be in the DotP forum...

Thank you, Erik.
Unlock this thread:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I see no reason for it to be locked and it makes it harder to copy the information with the correct formatting into other places.

Unlock this thread:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I see no reason for it to be locked and it makes it harder to copy the information with the correct formatting into other places.

Oh I didn't realize it made that harder. Unlocking. Thanks Kaioshin.

Sean Gibbons

Thank you, Erik.
Just a heads up here. Sorry for the mess while I consolidate some of the Wide Beta feedback threads. It will require some locking and shuffling things around.

(Side note, huge thanks to bubba for being on the ball and creating the feedback threads)

Sean Gibbons

I accidentally put a gameplay related post into the "Store, Settings, and Miscellany" thread.  Sorry about that - if it can be easily moved into the "finding and playing games" thread, that would be nice.
I accidentally put a gameplay related post into the "Store, Settings, and Miscellany" thread.  Sorry about that - if it can be easily moved into the "finding and playing games" thread, that would be nice.

Unfortunately, we can't move individual posts

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

Unfortunately, we can't move individual posts

Ok - thanks anyway.  I just realized that I can delete my own post, so I moved it myself.  I should have been smart and done that in the first place.
Hmmm, hope this slip up doesn't keep happening, heh.

This thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Should have been moved to the New and Returning Player forum (under MTG) rather than the New Player Forum (under MTGO)

Hmmm, hope this slip up doesn't keep happening, heh.

This thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Should have been moved to the New and Returning Player forum (under MTG) rather than the New Player Forum (under MTGO)

I'm going to need to start putting (Paper) in those requests.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Not sure where to put this for it to be best seen.

Its been 23 hours and the above mentioned thread is still in the wrong place. There is another thread with a bubba move notice in it that is still there after 19 hours. The orcs have managed to heavily edit a thread during this time, but not move these two 
If they don't have time to move threads can we give bubba that power please. It makes the place look a mess and unprofessional to have threads that need moving hanging around for a whole day.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Its been 23 hours and the above mentioned thread is still in the wrong place. There is another thread with a bubba move notice in it that is still there after 19 hours. The orcs have managed to heavily edit a thread during this time, but not move these two 
If they don't have time to move threads can we give bubba that power please. It makes the place look a mess and unprofessional to have threads that need moving hanging around for a whole day.

This is the right place.

I've moved the thread to the appropriate forum now and left a note on there. Sorry about the delay. If you see another Magic Online thread that needs moving (which hasn't been taken care of in a timely manner) please post the link here.

Sean Gibbons

This is the right place.

I've moved the thread to the appropriate forum now and left a note on there. Sorry about the delay. If you see another Magic Online thread that needs moving (which hasn't been taken care of in a timely manner) please post the link here.

This was the other thread I mentioned.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

This was the other thread I mentioned.

The thread is now in the Bugs & Technical Issues forum where bubba's message directed it, but I didn't move it. Maybe an ORC got to it when nobody was looking.

Sean Gibbons

IM thinking this thread about Multiplayer Table
should be moved to over to the offical Wide Beta Feedback - Finding and playing Games Thread.
Thanks

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Sign In to post comments