Magic Online Development Update

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gordon's latest Magic Online Development Update is available now.
Oh the juiciness!!!

2012 Magic Online Development Plan

• Deliver Quality Card Set Releases – Ongoing

• Updated eCommerce Infrastructure (with improved PayPal User Experience) – Q2 2012

• New Client UI - In closed beta and usability studies

• New Tournament Play Format for Q2 2012 – in closed beta now

• Next Feature/Infrastructure Bundle – Q4 2012

• Planechase Support – Late June 2012.

• Leagues – will be built together with significant infrastructure updates to our game and tournament management services with work beginning early in Q4 2012. The target delivery date will be established after that project gets scoped and scheduled.

The questions left unanswered

What will the "new tournament Play Format" be??? I have no clue

What features do we have to look forward to in Q4?

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
FREE TO PLAY! it would be awesome if mtgo followed the facebook game model :D
I was wondering if there were thoughts/plans to have a Mac and even an IOS (IPhone/IPad) version sometime in the future?  I have seen some pretty neat other card games on these platforms that seem to work well.  Such as Shadow Era and Ascension as examples.  I would enjoy being able to play some magic on my devices.

Thanks 
Looks like a lot on the plate, even the foreshadowing of the possibility of the consideration of leagues.  But slow going?  That's fine.  As long as it's done well.

Thanks for the update!

I was wondering if there were thoughts/plans to have a Mac and even an IOS (IPhone/IPad) version sometime in the future?  I have seen some pretty neat other card games on these platforms that seem to work well.  Such as Shadow Era and Ascension as examples.  I would enjoy being able to play some magic on my devices.

Thanks 

Mac users should consider a cheap PC.  The cost of the PC ain't much compared to what a serious user will spend in MOL over a couple years. 

A phone app though?  Everyone (except yours truly) seems to have a phone. 

Given it's been 10 years, and they still have a, uhh, shall we say questionable? interface, trying to develop for other platforms is prolly outta the question.
Thank you, Erik.
Looks like a lot on the plate, even the foreshadowing of the possibility of the consideration of leagues.  But slow going?  That's fine.  As long as it's done well.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks 

Mac users should consider a cheap PC.  The cost of the PC ain't much compared to what a serious user will spend in MOL over a couple years. 

A phone app though?  Everyone (except yours truly) seems to have a phone. 

Given it's been 10 years, and they still have a, uhh, shall we say questionable? interface, trying to develop for other platforms is prolly outta the question.

For me buying another computer isn't worth it.  I will just do what I do today and rarely play as I have to use a VMWare session to load windows and that just does not leave an enjoyable play experience.  

*shrug*  Just an idea I guess I will just play other games online and play Magic in its orginal and best format.

Thanks 
Leagues

Enchantment
Suspend - 1
 At the end of each Q, put a dissappointment counter on each player.
 At the beginning of your Q, you may mention "leagues". If you do, each player may remove all counters from target player. Add 1 suspense counter to Leagues.
 When Leagues enters the battlefield, each player may win the game.
"If they put $100 bills in packs, someone would complain about how they're folded" - Unknown

*adds a suspense counter to Leagues, removes all counters from self*

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

What about the '3letter nicks can't watch replays' bug?

Also, Gifts Ungiven with Avian Mindcensor in play is bugged. Instead of you revealing up to 4 cards from the top 4, you reveal 1 from the top4, then a new top4 is shown (the 5th card on top is now avaiable for Gifts).  
Nothing, a huge nothing! all we got from this update. League work will start q4 2012 (and what was the previous start date, like 2 years ago?) and finished God knows when. Man, big dissapointment.

For me buying another computer isn't worth it.  I will just do what I do today and rarely play as I have to use a VMWare session to load windows and that just does not leave an enjoyable play experience. 

Could be worse, man.  I use boot camp and have to restart my computer every time I play Magic. 

Thanks 

You can play on an ipad, sort of.  If you have a remote desktop app, you can access your windows (vmware) desktop and control it with the ipad.  It's not really the same as an actual app developed for a mobile device, but I'd say it's the closest we'll get for a few years. 
Thanks for the update, that's some good news right there! I see you left out about which quarter this update was. Are you guys still doing quarterly updates? Can we expect the next update in april or in july?
"Leagues are coming and soon."
Nothing, a huge nothing! all we got from this update. League work will start q4 2012 (and what was the previous start date, like 2 years ago?) and finished God knows when. Man, big dissapointment.

Actually I've a quantum of encouragement. I didn't expect to see leagues on the agenda this year at all.

I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
I find it a bit disingenuous to say that expected refund requests were down when I've been told I am no longer allowed to send requests.  And it would be foolish to assume I'm the only one.  I know that one of my friends doesn't send in requests because they don't want to get blacklisted, and his financial situation is far more secure than mine.  If I'd been allowed to send in requests I would of put 2 in... granted that's 2 out of probably 20 events I participated in... I've discovered another online game and its quickly taking my time and money away from magic... so whatevs.
How about we fix some bugs that are now easily over a year old?

3-letter usernames cannot replay
constant rescrolling
cannot logout without completely closing the program

and what causes I'm guessing half of your refund requests:
disconnects from game server with no notifictation!!!! 

Sigh. 
Gordon probably wrote this a year ago, just changed dates. rinse and repeat.
What about a better interface for trades and secondary market? Wizards desparately needs to remove the need for bots or provide everyone with a "bot like" interface that will allow them to do things with their cards on the secondary market. Without that, online will never be as appealing as paper magic and a tough financial committment to keep up.

Is this even being worked on or considered internally? 
Very happy that the update got posted, and looking forward to bubba's update of the stickied thread.

Surprised that DKA's activity was "significantly higher than previous online releases".  I would figure ISD blew it away, given the fact that DKA is a small set and since the DKA cards are IMO inferior to the ISD cards.

eCommerce infrastructure - I wonder if this will have any front-end user improvements, or whether this is all back-end fixes to make things more stable.

Planechase - I was wondering whether this would become viable online.  Made sense that it would gradually make its way there, especially since most of the mechanics are directly translatable to MTGO.

Leagues - definitely a carrot thrown out there with our first official date, although it's a start date (and its sounds like it is just for scoping and scheduling and not development), not an end date.  At least we can keep hope alive.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)
Very happy that the update got posted, and looking forward to bubba's update of the stickied thread.

I had that done 5 min after the update was posted (though it took 13 hrs to get it stickied).

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

I am so looking forward to 2014, when I will dig up my comments and predictions on mtgo from 2008 and looking back,  realize that the truth was even worse than one of the most negative guys (me) could predict.

...It's not really the same as an actual app developed for a mobile device, but I'd say it's the closest we'll get for a few years decades. 

Fixed.

Ya know what? Yer right.

Magic Online Development Update Q1 2011

They do read very much alike. Although, to be fair, some of the things mentioned in the 2011 update did actually happen.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Oh yay, phantom MOCS event!
So when is the beta version of V4 coming out? I've been playing since that brown mess came out in 2007 and I want it GONE! G-O-N-E. Version 4 beta, please come out soon PLEASE LAWD..so I can play magic online again
So when is the beta version of V4 coming out? I've been playing since that brown mess came out in 2007 and I want it GONE! G-O-N-E. Version 4 beta, please come out soon PLEASE LAWD..so I can play magic online again

Why don't you just join the beta and play free for free?
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I can't join it's a closed beta
Did you apply? I think they accept pretty much everyone ;)
Are they going to do anything about playing the person that you passed to in draft.  I mean it's a simple bracket system that should be easy to program.  I shouldnt be playing the person that I passed everything to packs 1 and 3.  You dont do it in real life, why should I be doing it every time I sit down for a draft on MODO
Are they going to do anything about playing the person that you passed to in draft.  I mean it's a simple bracket system that should be easy to program.  I shouldnt be playing the person that I passed everything to packs 1 and 3.  You dont do it in real life, why should I be doing it every time I sit down for a draft on MODO

They responded to this a long time ago. DCI floor rules say that round 1 pairings should be random. If your local store is cross pairing they are the ones doing it wrong.

(although I disagree with the DCI rule. I think it should be cross paired. but that is irrelevant.)
Been thinking about the "new tournament format" and what it might be that would require a closed beta.... I am guessing that it is going to be either something very large scale like 512 man drafts or maybe just a single elim PE for constructed.

Or could it be something really wild like a Commander tourney???
Been thinking about the "new tournament format" and what it might be that would require a closed beta.... I am guessing that it is going to be either something very large scale like 512 man drafts or maybe just a single elim PE for constructed. Or could it be something really wild like a Commander tourney???

Multiplayer springs to mind. Or Planechase - I seem to remember reading this is expected online.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Been thinking about the "new tournament format" and what it might be that would require a closed beta.... I am guessing that it is going to be either something very large scale like 512 man drafts or maybe just a single elim PE for constructed. Or could it be something really wild like a Commander tourney???

Multiplayer springs to mind. Or Planechase - I seem to remember reading this is expected online.

Planechase was announced for Late June so that isn't it...

Are they going to do anything about playing the person that you passed to in draft...

They responded to this a long time ago. DCI floor rules say that round 1 pairings should be random. If your local store is cross pairing they are the ones doing it wrong.

To which rule are you referring? This is not how Wizards ran single elimination public paper drafts at Worlds last year. There was a seating bracket, 1st round you played the person "across" from you. Second round pairings were not random either, the bracket was printed for the judge before the draft started.
Are they going to do anything about playing the person that you passed to in draft...

To which rule are you referring? This is not how Wizards ran single elimination public paper drafts at Worlds last year. There was a seating bracket, 1st round you played the person "across" from you. Second round pairings were not random either, the bracket was printed for the judge before the draft started.

I wouldn't  even know where to look for Paper rules. but I am 99% certain that this was the answer then V3 came out and we complained. My memory is alright
I wouldn't even know where to look for Paper rules. but I am 99% certain that this was the answer then V3 came out and we complained. My memory is alright

I am not faulting your memory, just commenting on the reality of today. Paper does not always follow random seatings, this is clearly not currently against the rules.

Something else to keep in mind is that not all of the people in charge of making those decisions way back then are still around. The current MTGO decision makers might be of a different mind. V4 is the opportunity to implement changes in philosophy.
I wouldn't even know where to look for Paper rules. but I am 99% certain that this was the answer then V3 came out and we complained. My memory is alright

I am not faulting your memory, just commenting on the reality of today. Paper does not always follow random seatings, this is clearly not currently against the rules.

Something else to keep in mind is that not all of the people in charge of making those decisions way back then are still around. The current MTGO decision makers might be of a different mind. V4 is the opportunity to implement changes in philosophy.

I actually have gone looking for this several times, the most recent was when calvara made that last post.

In the DCI tournament rules, it lists that you should pair across the table during the single elimination top 8 of an event.  It does not stipulate how pairing should be done in non-top 8 circumstances.

I kept looking and eventually downloaded the wizards event reporter, which is what you use to set up and sanction events.

Sure enough, when you make a draft, it'll seat the pod randomly....and then pair you randomly.  The first trial I did had paired two players that were adjacent during the drafting portion.

So, I believe that the reason it isn't codified anywhere is because it just hard-coded into the event reporter software.  Basically, it boils down to "we don't need to answer those questions anywhere, just let the software do it", so there is no real documentation anywhere telling you how it should be done.  Though, it does appear that random is the way it's "supposed" to be seeing as it is the default for the event reporter.

I'm pretty sure you can assign pairings so that people are paired to who they are across from in the draft.  However, I think you have to go in and do it manually.

I really do wish they'd switch it back to being paired to the person across from you.  Honestly, I think the real reason they don't do that is because it will take some effort that they don't want to expend (this is a very low priority, obviously). The fact that the event reporter has random pairings be default gives them a "scapegoat" for a reason that they don't have to change it: "See, it's supposed to be this way, that's why we did it!"

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I'm pretty sure you can assign pairings so that people are paired to who they are across from in the draft.  However, I think you have to go in and do it manually.

Perhaps Wizards uses different software for their public draft events (such as the most recent Worlds). I doubt that they manually paired all those drafts. It was fairly convenient, if you won you knew ahead of time which table you were waiting for. And, people started their "next round" as soon as both player were ready. It was a fun atmosphere.

I actually have gone looking for this several times, the most recent was when calvara made that last post.

In the DCI tournament rules, it lists that you should pair across the table during the single elimination top 8 of an event.  It does not stipulate how pairing should be done in non-top 8 circumstances.

I kept looking and eventually downloaded the wizards event reporter, which is what you use to set up and sanction events.

Sure enough, when you make a draft, it'll seat the pod randomly....and then pair you randomly.  The first trial I did had paired two players that were adjacent during the drafting portion.

So, I believe that the reason it isn't codified anywhere is because it just hard-coded into the event reporter software.  Basically, it boils down to "we don't need to answer those questions anywhere, just let the software do it", so there is no real documentation anywhere telling you how it should be done.  Though, it does appear that random is the way it's "supposed" to be seeing as it is the default for the event reporter.

I really do wish they'd switch it back to being paired to the person across from you.  Honestly, I think the real reason they don't do that is because it will take some effort that they don't want to expend (this is a very low priority, obviously). The fact that the event reporter has random pairings be default gives them a "scapegoat" for a reason that they don't have to change it: "See, it's supposed to be this way, that's why we did it!"

Total Guess here: Taking away some of the skill involved in knowing who your op first round might be to eliminate some information skilled players use. Not knowing who your first round op will be does add some luck and uncertainty to the mix which seems like a reasonable motivation to ascribe to this decision.

Winter.Wolf

Perhaps Wizards uses different software for their public draft events (such as the most recent Worlds). I doubt that they manually paired all those drafts. It was fairly convenient, if you won you knew ahead of time which table you were waiting for. And, people started their "next round" as soon as both player were ready. It was a fun atmosphere.

They may have done it all by hand and manually entered it in later.  I could see that being a more efficient way than actually needing to go to the computer to get pairings.  The judge just has 1-3 sheets of paper for each draft and then hands them in to someone just sitting there and inputting into the computer after the fact.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
They may have done it all by hand and manually entered it in later.

Nope, the judge is given a printout showing the table seating and the pairings bracket. The software determines this, I guarantee you they weren't doing things manually in this regards. The results are entered at a later time when the judge turns back in the printout with the actual results filled in.

You might have investigated different software than they were using.

They may have done it all by hand and manually entered it in later.

Nope, the judge is given a printout showing the table seating and the pairings bracket. The software determines this, I guarantee you they weren't doing things manually in this regards. The results are entered at a later time when the judge turns back in the printout with the actual results filled in.

You might have investigated different software than they were using.

No, WEP is the only event software.

I don't know the answer to that, then.  Maybe there is just a setting you can change so you don't have to manually pair crosswise.