Melee Vs Reach

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
What would be the difference between Melee 2 and Reach 2?
Melee 2 is an attack range.

Melee Weapon is also an attack range.

Reach 2 is a weapon property, such that the range of Weapon is 2.  This allows a power to be written as Melee Weapon, but have varying range depending on the weapon you use it with.

In the context of a monster statblock, Reach 2 is used as shorthand, because it gets you the information you need in a minimum of space.  Monster melee attacks are all range 1 unless specified.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I think the difference is that melee 2 means the target can be 2 squares away.  Most melee powers have melee weapon, melee touch, and a few have melee 1.  Reach 2 just means that they can attack 2 squares away.
Melee 2 is a Melee Power with a reach of 2 as range.

RC 200 Reach: A creature's reach can influence several things in the game, such as how far a creature can reach out to touch or grab something as well as the range of some of its melee powers.  

Melee Weapon is also an attack range.

Actually only "weapon" is the attack range. "Melee" is the attack type.

It's not "melee weapon", it's "melee" *end of keyword 1* "weapon"

Nit successfully picked.

Nit successfully picked.

I didn't want to nitpick, I found that a whole lot of people read this as a single keyword "melee weapon" and don't realize that these are in fact two separate independent keyword. 

That the PHB has a table headlined "melee weapons" doesn't make things less confusing

You misunderstand, nits are worth picking.
What would be the difference between Melee 2 and Reach 2?

I think the OP is asking about monster stat blocks.

If you are, the old monster stat blocks (pre-MM3) gave melee reach attacks for monsters as "reach 2".  Newer monster stat blocks now use "melee" instead of "reach", i.e. "melee 2".

So, for this purpose, melee = reach.
Here's some examples.

Ancient Red Dragon (from MM1)
It's bite attack is listed as "reach 4"

Young Red Dragon (Monster Vault)
It's bite attack is listed as "melee 2 (one creature)"

They updated the layout of the monster attack powers in later books and just changed "reach" to "melee" in the stat blocks for melee attacks.  Often with older stat blocks, if the monster didn't have reach (i.e. it's reach was 1 with melee attacks), it didn't list the range of the attack at all.  Now, all upated monster stat blocks have a range, even if it's only melee 1.
Here's some examples.

Ancient Red Dragon (from MM1)
It's bite attack is listed as "reach 4"

Young Red Dragon (Monster Vault)
It's bite attack is listed as "melee 2 (one creature)"

They updated the layout of the monster attack powers in later books and just changed "reach" to "melee" in the stat blocks for melee attacks.  Often with older stat blocks, if the monster didn't have reach (i.e. it's reach was 1 with melee attacks), it didn't list the range of the attack at all.  Now, all upated monster stat blocks have a range, even if it's only melee 1.

I think this change was made for two reasons:
1) To reinforce the attack type, as before it was only presented in the icon next to the attack.
2) To reinforce that even though the reach of the attack may be greater than 1, the creature can't use it as an oppurtunity attack.  i.e. it has a "melee attack with a range of 4" and not a "reach of 4", which some may have incorrectly assumed meant it had threatening reach.
Sign In to post comments