Urabrask the Hidden - Land Locked

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
NOTE: This deck has been dismantled, so this thread will no longer be updated.

Commander
Urabrask the Hidden

Planeswalkers (3)
Chandra Nalaar
Chandra, the Firebrand
Koth of the Hammer

Lands (38)
Snow-Covered Mountain x 26
Vesuva
Spinerock Knoll
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Dust Bowl
Ghost Quarter
Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge
Maze of Ith
Mystifying Maze
Thawing Glaciers
Mouth of Ronom
Scrying Sheets

Creatures (22)
Homura, Human Ascendant
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Dwarven Blastminer - Alt Invader Parasite when facing more basic lands.
Dwarven Miner - Alt Orcish Settlers when facing more basic lands.
Magus of the Moon - Alt Stoneshaker Shaman when facing more basic lands.
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Viashino Heretic
Hoarding Dragon
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Crater Hellion
Flameblast Dragon
Thunder Dragon
Thundermare
Detritivore - Alt Greater Gargadon when facing more basic lands.
Inferno Titan
Magmatic Force
Worldgorger Dragon
Rimescale Dragon
Charmbreaker Devils
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Keldon Firebombers

Enchantment/Aura (5)
Blood Moon - Alt Impending Disaster when facing more basic lands.
Price of Glory
Smoke
War's Toll
Mindmoil

Sorcery (9)
Ruination - Alt Wake of Destruction when facing more basic lands.
Devil's Play
Red Sun's Zenith
Molten Disaster
Decree of Annihilation
Devastation
Jokulhaups
Obliterate
Boom / Bust

Instant (7)
Fork
Reiterate
Reverberate
Wild Ricochet
Comet Storm
Fault Line
Starstorm

Artifact (15)
Sol Ring
Thran Dynamo
Sensei's Divining Top
Crucible of Worlds
Caged Sun
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Might
Gauntlet of Power
Sculpting Steel
Mana Web
Static Orb
Journeyer's Kite
Planar Portal
Mercadian Atlas
Well of Discovery
Needs more Darksteel Plate.
Wise words on how to conceal a polymorphed dragon from detection. . .
57064968 wrote:
Through a tarp over it, with the words "DM Exposition & Fluff File."Because players ignore fluff & exposition all the time.
Liquimetal Coating/reusable artifact removal
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I'd like to start by saying Keldon Firebombers and Sundering Titan.

Mana Flare seems weird, considering you're trying to deny people their mana.  Maybe Armillary Sphere or Solemn Simulacrum instead, both are nice with Extraplanar Lens, the Gauntlets, Caged Sun and Valakut.

Tower of Fortune's activated ability is expensive if you are blowing up all lands. Mind's Eye is a little more mana effective.

Here's a couple of random LD spells.
Thoughts of Ruin
Destructive Force
Wildfire
Tectonic Break
OMG yes! Keldon Firebombers the best 49 cents spent on EDH ever. Epicenter is also surprisingly good and surprisingly cheap.
Thanks for all of the replies!

@WhiteRaven810 - I get the purpose, but I'll put Darksteel Plate into the maybe pile for now.

@Zauzich - Rumbling Crescendo just isn't that effective for its high casting cost and it takes too long to get online.  Orcish Settlers, on the other hand, are going in - at least on the sideboard.

@bay_falconer - Very fun combo, but I have too few ways to get that online and artifact removal isn't the purpose of this deck.

@TheMern - GAH!  You always suggest a ton of cards I want to use!  I must make room for Keldon Firebombers.  I'm lukewarm about Sundering Titan as I have no way to reuse/abuse him.  He probably won't make the cut.

Mana Flare was another form of accel since the average CC is kinda high with this deck but I agree it could go south for me - its out now.  I'll see if I can make room for Armillary Sphere as it is cheaper ($ wise) than Solemn Simulacrum.

Tower of Fortunes could sit there and rot or it can provide more cards than Mind's Eye.  Now that I think about it avoiding activated card draw artifacts may be the way to go.  What about Mercadian Atlas and/or Well of Discovery?

As for the remaining LD cards you mentioned, all are under consideration, especially Wildfire and Destructive Force.

@Disturbed185 - Agreed on Keldon Firebombers, and Epicenter is another card that is under consideration.

I made a few changes, and have added a sideboard so I can adjust to playing nonbasic heavy vs mono-color with basic lands.  Here are my changes so far, with more to come.

Out:
Dragon Tyrant - Great finisher, but doesn't really fit.
Mana Flare - Could easily blow up in my face.
Wake of Destruction - To sideboard.

In:
Snow-Covered Mountain x 2 - 36 lands was too light for this build.
Keldon Firebombers

Other:
Wake of Destruction sideboarded and will replace Ruination when facing decks with few nonbasics.
Invader Parasite sideboarded and will replace Dwarven Blastminer when facing decks with few nonbasics.
Orcish Settlers sideboarded and will replace Dwarven Miner when facing decks with few nonbasics.

The same will probably need to occur to Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon.  Any suggestions there?

Anything that I should take out?
Burning of Xinye if you have the money.
Why not just use Wildfire?  Doesn't have to be the $$$ version of the card.

@ The brothers moon, use both. 

For my own suggestion, you could use Temporal Aperture (for making science!) as it has a little CA in it's operation.

cheers,

Malph
@Xile - In addition to the ludicrous price, from my view Burning of Xinye is a strictly worse version of Wildfire since it can't remove indestructible lands.

@malpheas - Agreed on Wildfire, I am just seeing how it (or Destructive Force) can fit.

Regarding the "brothers moon" they will always be in for the most part, but there are a few decks I can face (especially mono-colored) in 1 on 1 that don't run very many nonbasics so those cards would have limited usefulness.  I'm hunting for sideboard possibilities for those cards.

Temporal Aperture is interesting - into the maybe pile it goes.

Cards I am also considering in addition to the ones listed above:
Mana Web
Citadel of Pain
Tectonic Instability
Stoneshaker Shaman
Impending Disaster

I'm not entirely convinced about Vicious Shadows, but it COULD be powerful.

Changes:

Out:
Fanning the Flames - The high Buyback makes it difficult to use.
Tower of Fortunes
Urza's Blueprints

In:
Devil's Play - Doesn't have Buyback, but is cheaper initially than Fanning the Flames and has a decent Flashback cost.
Mercadian Atlas
Well of Discovery
I've got some ideas for pre-board cards that help screw basic land.

Omen of Fire I think, would be an awesome card to use.  Not only is it one card that will mess with two basic land types (as apposed to Boiling Seas and Flashfires taking up 2 slots), it's also good against commanders like Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. Oh...and it's an instant.

Kormus Bell against mono-black.  I'm seeing 13~16 ways in your deck currently that could really take advantage of it.  Obvious stuff like Starstorm, Scourge of Kher Ridges, Kumano, and Crater Hellion but you've also got Urabrask, Rimescale Dragon, Smoke (OMG!!!), and War's Toll.

Also you should add a Return to DustShattering Spree or Shattering Pulse to deal with other peoples mana-rocks and Caged Suns.
I've got some ideas for pre-board cards that help screw basic land.

Omen of Fire I think, would be an awesome card to use.  Not only is it one card that will mess with two basic land types (as apposed to Boiling Seas and Flashfires taking up 2 slots), it's also good against commanders like Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. Oh...and it's an instant.

Kormus Bell against mono-black.  I'm seeing 13~16 ways in your deck currently that could really take advantage of it.  Obvious stuff like Starstorm, Scourge of Kher Ridges, Kumano, and Crater Hellion but you've also got Urabrask, Rimescale Dragon, Smoke (OMG!!!), and War's Toll.

Also you should add a Return to DustShattering Spree or Shattering Pulse to deal with other peoples mana-rocks and Caged Suns.

I love your ideas but one of the rules of my playgroup is to avoid targeting specific colors (which is why we banned Iona).  Its to try to avoid a destructive arms race with our decks since we play casually.  Admittedly, with how this deck is designed I don't know how long they will allow me to play it before banning it. Laughing

I had Shattering Pulse in my deck but it got cut on the trim down to 100 cards.  Why?  Because when you get down to those last few SOMETHING has to go, and Shattering Pulse was one of them.  In addition to the creature based artifact removal I do have several global artifact removal options if I have to hit a panic button.  I need to playtest eventually and if artifacts become a problem it will find its way back in.

More changes:

Out:

Everflowing Chalice - Leaves me with only two mana rocks but this is the weakest of the bunch.

In:

Mana Web - I want to see how this plays out.

Other:

Stoneshaker Shaman sideboarded and will replace Magus of the Moon when facing decks with few nonbasics.
Impending Disaster sideboarded and will replace Blood Moon when facing decks with few nonbasics.

Other suggestions are still under consideration, but I think I will do some playtesting with this build first.
Hmm.... I dont know why but Mindmoil speaks to me for the deck......you have alot of high casting cost cards, fast land destruction and a good mana base......
Hmm.... I dont know why but Mindmoil speaks to me for the deck......you have alot of high casting cost cards, fast land destruction and a good mana base......

Wow, I like that enchantment.  On the whole it looks like it could pay off more than Vicious Shadows.
Latest Changes:

Out:

Vicious Shadows - Steep CC and can have limited effectiveness in this deck.

In:

Mindmoil - Excellent source of card draw.

Other:

Greater Gargadon sideboarded and will replace Detritivore when facing decks with few nonbasics.