03/06/2012 SF: "The Fated Encounter"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
You could've used pronouns, you know.  Undecided
Can persist -1/-1 counters really be removed with +1/+1 counters? I couldn't finish the article because this bothered me so much. I would expect both counters would continue to exist on the Woodfall Primus and you would not have been able to recur him the way you did with Ghave.
-1/-1 Counters and +1/+1 counters cancel each other out. This is why you can use Fume Spitter to place a -1/-1 counter on a Geralf's Messenger that has a +1/+1 counter and give it another go at undying. 
Can persist -1/-1 counters really be removed with +1/+1 counters? I couldn't finish the article because this bothered me so much. I would expect both counters would continue to exist on the Woodfall Primus and you would not have been able to recur him the way you did with Ghave.

Yes, they do indeed cancel out. The rule is as follows:

704.5r If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it. 

This rule was introduced shortly before Shadowmoor, so it's been the case ever since persist was first printed. That's why Murderous Redcap is such a good combo with Juniper Order Ranger and Sigil Captain.
You could've used pronouns, you know. 

There are several reasons not to use pronouns, one of which was that for a multiplayer game, it helps with clarity.
With Jorge tapped out, Amanda's response of Withdraw seemed surreptitiously timely—sending Solemn and Edric to hand

I may be missing something blatantly obvious, but didn't he have Greaves on Edric?

There are several reasons not to use pronouns, one of which was that for a multiplayer game, it helps with clarity.

Haha, no.  That's not the reason.  Pronouns were used for the author and Jorge, but not for Amanda.
With Jorge tapped out, Amanda's response of Withdraw seemed surreptitiously timely—sending Solemn and Edric to hand

I may be missing something blatantly obvious, but didn't he have Greaves on Edric?

Good catch, I don't think you're missing anything either.  My guess is that Jorge moved the greaves to Rofellos after he managed to get the mana ramper out so that he could keep him on the battlefield.  Or else Roffy would probably have been among the creatures bounced.

It's probably just an honest mistake on Adam's part that he forgot to mention it.  There's a lot going on in a multiplayer game to keep track of.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Haha, no.  That's not the reason.  Pronouns were used for the author and Jorge, but not for Amanda.

Which could have been at Amanda's request, or at Adam's discretion, but regardless, its rather more tactful to emphasis the other reasons you wouldn't use pronouns, don't you think?
Kinda disappointed with this display. It was neat, but, well, a terrible example of how EDH can be a fun and exciting format. Let's cover some major issues:
1) The final win was by going infinite.
2) MonoU shenanigans trying to prison lock players out of the game.
3) A 3-way game with 2 blue decks running several counters.

MAN WHAT A FUN FORMAT :U
How the hell did one of them cast a trygon predator  EoT?
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Sign In to post comments