Working on a Bard/Paladin concept, thoughts?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, so! I'm not terribly good at the whole character optimization thing, but I had a really cool idea for a Paladin/Bard build that basically works off the paladin half marking things, and the bard half disabling them. I decided to use the Vistani Heritage feat for the evil eye power, and I chose Half-Elf so I was able to pick up the warlock power, eye bite, for the diletante.

I had originally looked in to worshiping sehanine, but scrapped that when I couldn't find a way to get the paladin powers to work with a short bow.

Here's a couple of things I've been thinking about:

• I chose the feat Symbol of Sonnlinor so I could use an axe/hammer/pick for the bard powers. I wasn't able to find a +3 proficiency weapon that met the criteria, so I chose a warhammer for now. I'm a little concerned about the accuracy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• There might not be enough healing going on so I've been picking powers to kind of work with that. I figured with the Knight Hospitaler theme and the one use of Majestic Word I'd probably be ok as long as I wasn't the only healer.

• With a 20 in Charisma, I'm a little worried about my stat spread. Seems ok for now since most powers are working off my primary stat.

So with all that said, here's what I've been working on so far. Any feedback or suggestions would be really appreciated!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&amp;D Character Builder ======<br /> <p>Naes R'enwar, level 2<br />Half-Elf, Paladin/Bard<br />Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex<br />Hybrid Bard Option: Hybrid Bard Will<br />Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante<br />Waterdeep (Waterdeep Benefit)<br />Theme: Knight Hospitaler<br /> <br />FINAL ABILITY SCORES<br />STR 8, CON 16, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 20<br /> <br />STARTING ABILITY SCORES<br />STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 18<br /> <br /> <br />AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 13 Will: 17<br />HP: 34 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 8<br /> <br />TRAINED SKILLS<br />Bluff +11, Diplomacy +15, Intimidate +11, Streetwise +11<br /> <br />UNTRAINED SKILLS<br />Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Athletics +0, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +4, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +4, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Thievery +1<br /> <br />POWERS<br />Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack<br />Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack<br />Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion<br />Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge<br />Bard Feature: Majestic Word<br />Feat Attack: Evil Eye of the Vistani<br />Warlock Attack 1: Eyebite<br />Bard Attack 1: Staggering Note<br />Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike<br />Bard Attack 1: Fast Friends<br />Bard Attack 1: Stirring Shout<br />Paladin Utility 2: Restore Vitality<br /> <br />FEATS<br />Level 1: Vistani Heritage<br />Level 2: Symbol of the Sonnlinor<br /> <br />ITEMS<br />Chainmail x1<br />Adventurer's Kit<br />Warhammer x1<br />Light Shield x1<br />====== End ======

I have a similar concept I play monthly, currently level 9.  Difference is Eladrin, and I use a great spear. Stats are similar, one less Con (3 cuz of race), bumped Int for Reflex and Int skills (that the party lacked)

Now, in my party, we have a warden.  So I only mark when its close to imposible to obey my mark (also, Power of Arcane + Virtuous Strike + White Lotus).  I find I have barely any more than the ranger's hit points and only 2 more surges.  So, I dont feel I can really tank.  With feat support, I am sure that could change (Hybrid Talent Paladin Armor, Durable, etc).

Also, the party has a dedicated leader.  My damage is good but its not close to striker level.  So, I am really just a support unit that does all the talking.  I can step up and fill a role for half a fight when things go bad one way or the other, but the character has been a lesson in mediocrity.  Fun, but not really amazingly op'd.
I have a similar concept I play monthly, currently level 9.  Difference is Eladrin, and I use a great spear. Stats are similar, one less Con (3 cuz of race), bumped Int for Reflex and Int skills (that the party lacked)

Now, in my party, we have a warden.  So I only mark when its close to imposible to obey my mark (also, Power of Arcane + Virtuous Strike + White Lotus).  I find I have barely any more than the ranger's hit points and only 2 more surges.  So, I dont feel I can really tank.  With feat support, I am sure that could change (Hybrid Talent Paladin Armor, Durable, etc).

Also, the party has a dedicated leader.  My damage is good but its not close to striker level.  So, I am really just a support unit that does all the talking.  I can step up and fill a role for half a fight when things go bad one way or the other, but the character has been a lesson in mediocrity.  Fun, but not really amazingly op'd.

See, I was wondering about that. I feel like it might almost be better to take bard fully and just muliclass for whatever other stuff I wanted. I just like the idea of being able to mark and have them stuck in a catch 22. Can't come hit me, so you have to attack someone else and suffer the ill effects, or do nothing at all. You know?