Forced movement into air.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it possible to forcibly move (push/pull/slide) enemies into air squares?

The exact tactic I have in mind is a flying Avenger using overwhelming strike to slide an enemy into the square where the avenger was flying.

Possible? Not possible? Saving throw for the enemy if possible? It only really pulls 1 square and falling from 5ft doesn't cause any damage so it doesn't neccessarily put the enemy in a dangerous situation (unless of course the avenger is flying above a deep pit)
Not possible unless they have a fly speed. Or you're underwater and they have a swim speed.
What about teleportation? Can I teleport them up in the air and drop them on the ground?
What about teleportation? Can I teleport them up in the air and drop them on the ground?

Yes, but they get a saving throw and if they pass it the teleport doesn't happen at all.

From the Rules Compendium, page 213:

If arriving in the destination space would cause the target to fall or if that space is hindering terrain, the target can immediately make a saving throw. On a save, the teleportation is negated. Otherwise, the target arrives in the destination space.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

so 50/50 chance, good enough for me for some free damage from falling.

Here comes my Favored Soul avenger grabbing people up into air and letting them drop :D

Here comes my Favored Soul avenger grabbing people up into air and letting them drop :D

You need to get them up 10ft. And technically it is 55/45. 10+ is 11/20 results on a d20, 55%.
Not possible unless they have a fly speed. Or you're underwater and they have a swim speed.

Not exactly.  Fly or Swim Speed is not required to send a creature vertically up in the air or deeper underwater.

A creature Flying could be Slid higher up and a creature Walking could be Slid into water and further deep, even if it doesn't have the respective Speed.

RC 212 Two-Dimensional: Forced movement is normally two-dimensional; all the squares of the movement must be on the same horizontal plane. Forced movement can become three-dimensional when the tar-get is flying, is moved through a substance such as water, or is on a non-horizontal surface, such as an incline, that supports it. This means an earthbound target cannot normally be pushed to a square in the air, but a hovering target can be. Similarly, a target can be pulled down a flight of stairs, and it can be slid in any direction underwater. 

You get a minimum chance to succeed on a save of 55% (fail on a 1-9, succeed on a 10-20) unless you're debuffing it, and it's worse for elites and solos.  Just for the record.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Random thought:
What if you in the air and are at a 45 degree angle to the enemy and you use a pull power, can you choose to pull it along the ground or must it take the most direct route? i.e. into the air

My question comes from a flying Avenger using Bond of Censure.

Thanks

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Same answer, you cannot ever force move things into the air, unless they are already flying.
But would it still be forced across the ground? I suppose not because distance in odd in 4th. My bad.

0P000000
00000E0

In this case, I am the "P" and the "E" is the enemy. L's say my Bond of Censure can pull 5 squares. Am I able to pull the enemy to the red spot even though the enemy can no longer come closer to me do to verticle movement? Or does the power fizzle and the enemy stay where it started?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

You can pull them to the red spot, since it is on the ground, but you can't pull them up to you. It does not apply in this case, but it should be noted that some powers say "must end adjacent to you." In that case, the power would fail, as you can't satisfy the condition.

Note: Creatures are cubes. So a large creature is 2x2x2, and hence would end adjacent to you (top square is touching the bottom of yours). 
I able to pull the enemy to the red spot even though the enemy can no longer come closer to me do to verticle movement?

Nope.

However: if you're not bothering with 3-D considerations (some tables don't), then that might be fine.
For the original post: from the forum FAQ (if desired):

Can forced movement move a flying target vertically? Yes. The update added the following to the PHB: "Forced movement can become three-dimensional when the target is flying, is moved through a substance such as water, or is on a non-horizontal surface, such as an incline, that supports it. This means an earthbound target cannot normally be pushed to a square in the air, but a hovering target can be. Similarly, a target can be pulled down a flight of stairs, and it can be slid in any direction underwater."

Can you teleport someone into the air? Yes, but they get a saving throw. The game editors have stated that you can teleport someone vertically, and the update says: "If arriving in the destination space would cause the target to fall or if that space is hindering terrain, the target can make a saving throw. On a save, the teleportation is negated."
Sign In to post comments