Mono Black Zombies

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm loving this build so far, but I'd like to see your thoughts on the deck.

23 Creatures
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Gravecrawler
3 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Phyrexian Obliterator
3 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Bloodline Keeper

2 Lashwrithe
3 Mortarpod

3 Liliana of the Veil

3 Tragic Slip
3 Geth's Verdict

23 Swamp

SB
1 Bloodline Keeper
2 Sword of War and Peace
3 Black Sun's Zenith
3 Ratchet Bomb
3 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Fume Spitter
1 Tragic Slip
1 Geth's Verdict

So a couple of thoughts. I'm actually thinking of altering the sideboard and throwing in additional Lashwrithes and Phyrexian Crusader and maybe even another sword. Cemetery Reaper might not be bad as a one of either. He's decent at breaking stalls.  Bloodline keeper is a champ. Zenith and Bomb might be a bit excessive. I may just run bomb since it makes for some pretty sweet token hate. If you're wondering why I don't run High Preist it's because I have no faith in the card.  Its too situational and a lot of stuff here is tapping for more important things. You know, like damage.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I prefer UB Zombies than Mono Black. I like Diregraf Captain better. Also Phantasmal Image is better than Phyrexian Metamorph cuz of the cost

Lashwrite is good but lil slow. Use Sword of War and Peace or Feast of Famine

Ideal to run

I am unsure with Skirsdag...I heard it is bad. Seen lists that have 4 lol
I've seen lists run Black Sun's Zenith and Distress main board.
I prefer UB Zombies than Mono Black. I like Diregraf Captain better. Also Phantasmal Image is better than Phyrexian Metamorph cuz of the cost

Lashwrite is good but lil slow. Use Sword of War and Peace or Feast of Famine

Ideal to run

I am unsure with Skirsdag...I heard it is bad. Seen lists that have 4 lol

Lashwrithe goes turn four... just like sword.... only its more effective in mono black imo. I wouldn't run sword over Lash in monoblack maindeck. Skirsdag has been kinda bad in testing. 4 Cemetery Reaper is not only excessive but a terrible idea. He's not a replacement for the UB lord.  4 Metamorphs probably won't help either, and mortarpod is great but idk about 4 maindeck either. If you're playing High Priest then morbid activators are cool and all but I don't like using him.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
That is fine if you like Lashwrithe. It always great with Black. I agree. I love Lashwrite and awesome with Vault Skirge. I would like to see 1 or 2 Sword in there though for protection

Yeah...Priest is tricky guy lol 4 of...hell no! You can replace for Porcelain Legionnaire...he is pretty good turn 2 guy

Reaper is not that bad and only cost 3 anyway and beef some zombies up. Spirit deck will have wake up call

Maybe 4 of Metamorph may be too much or may be useful...copy Geralf is fun lol
You know what...I think Cemetery Reaper is really good. I read DailyMTG about Grand Prix Lile...This Pro Dictus explain why he choose Reaper...EXILE. That is right...you can stop someone that carry FRites, Solar Flare, Undying, Moorland decks. Exile their creature and you get 2/2 zombie.

"Dictus explained that Cemetary Reaper is not just included for its +1/+1 bonus; it is also excellent against Frites – stopping Unburial Rites – and against the mirror match or Red/Green Aggro – removing Strangleroot Geist or Geralf's Messenger with undying on the stack"
been playing some games on cockatrice testing my monoblack zombies (i do own the deck). at first closing the deal i though could be done just by relying on the pure aggro speed that zombies give + obli at the top aswell as lots of removal, but believe me that is not enough for the monoblack version even with porcelain legionnaire that guy is so fragile against the meta, for that speed either the b/r or b/u r better suited. Needed a 2nd gameplan and that is lashwrithe equiping on creatures like skirge highborn and obliterator. the evasion is so important to race spirit/humans decks and others like monogreen and wrr not only can they help the race but suddenly equiping a lashwrithe to one of them can finish the job right there. it might seem overkill 8 4drops but it isn't. have at least 2 swamps in the opening hand and ur good to go.have tried sphere of the suns too but it really isn't worth it run at least 24 swamps.

Nihil spellbomb shoud not be mained. Even with Frites in the meta and delver/pike synergy out there. You hit R/g aggro or humans and its just a dead card
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
lascaossos -

You are missing Mortarpod....you need that for Zombies deck. Seems you are playing more of Mono Black aggro

Ghoulcaller's Chant is bad...bring Ratchet Bomb. It will do wonder for you

He is right...Nihil Spellbomb don't belong in main. How about Mortarpod...it is calling you
What are good alternatives to Obliterator for this kind of deck.  I really dont want to invest in them when they will rotate before too long and they jumped in price recently.

I run the normal compliment of

4x Crawler, Messanger, and Diregraf Ghoul

3x Fume Spitter
3x Highborn Ghoul
3x Cemetery Reaper

For Non Creature

3x Lashwrithe
2x Mortarpod
2x Liliana of the veil
2x Dismember
4x Tragic Slip
4x Geth's Verdict

22x Swamp

Any suggestions?
lascaossos -

You are missing Mortarpod....you need that for Zombies deck. Seems you are playing more of Mono Black aggro

Ghoulcaller's Chant is bad...bring Ratchet Bomb. It will do wonder for you

He is right...Nihil Spellbomb don't belong in main. How about Mortarpod...it is calling you

Sorry, I'm a new player also looking at building a deck similar to this, but I don't see why Ghoulcaller's Chant is bad. You can use it to bring back any  Geralf's Messenger that have been removed by your opponent or you can sacrifice Geralf's Messenger with Liliana, cast Ghoulcaller's Chant, and then drop Geralf's Messenger for another 2 and have the undying reset, so essentially for 4 (if my understanding that when Geralf's undying activates it deals another 2 damage because it left the battlefield and came back is correct).

The main problem is that ultimately it doesnt help the deck do what it needs to do efficently enough.

The deck should be all out agro.  Getting creatures back is really not what it is most concerned with.  The scenario with messanger is not going to come up that often.  Messanger plus fume spitter is more likely and fume spitter does plenty on his own.  Chant doesn't.  Besides gravecralwer already has plenty of recursion and ideally you want to draw Lilliana when you have creatures and little to no hand.
Sign In to post comments