Disneyland D&D based 4e campaign

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I'm a brand new poster, long time player, first time game creator/potential DM. So here I am minding my own business when my brain decided to write up a game. The idea is that it is all based in Disneyland if Disneyland was a real kingdom in the D&D universe. I'm having a really fun time putting it all together and have some great hooks and encounters planned. I won't go into every detail, but basically Mickey and the sorcerer live in the castle, but the sorcerer goes off for awhile and leaves Mickey in charge. He then, exactly as in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", messes with magic and unleashes something by accident. In this case, Chernabog from Fantasia. All other reaches of "The Magic Kingdom" are affected in some way by this darkness and evil that leaked out, so I'm writing in a solution which is basically to bribe a dragon with treasure to allow entry into the castle to defeat Chernabo and save everyone.

Meanwhile though I'm trying to figure out how to fit in the major parts of actual Disneyland and I'm getting seriously stuck on Tomorrowland. To give an idea of what I'm going for: the Pirates ride is going to be basically exactly the same, only with the adventurers wandering through rather than riding in boats. There will also be a yeti in the Matterhorn (which has become more of a mountain range incorporating Big Thunder Mountain as well.)

But Tomorrowland has got me completely stumped.

My other sticky point is names. I don't want to just throw in Mickey. Like, a humanoid cartoon mouse. So I'm trying to figure out what race to make him instead, and maybe change up his name a bit.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Borrow from Eberron for Tommorowland. The arcana-tech/steampunk combination of the setting really says "the future" in D&D terms. Maybe pick at Gamma World for ideas as well.

Happy Gaming
Ooh good idea! I'll check it out!
I could picture mickey being a reflavoured Halfling.  Dex and Cha, Acro and Thief, small sized with standard speed, +5 vs. fear, and force attacker to reroll attack.  All very mickey-esque.

As for a class, I would go with the Skald (Bard).   Melee and magic, wand implements, cloth to chain armor, and leader as the primary role.  
The Kingdom Heart series of video games would be a great inspiration as that is a similar premise of the whole series. It's already built as an rpg so many of the story elements are already in place. While the games use a space ship system to fly from one world to another, there's nothing wrong with magical portals and the like to switch between settings.

Mickey's castle has all the classic cartoons and he is the ruler of the land, and keeper of the portals. He maintains the safety of the Disney universe with these portals. Chernabog could definitely be infecting these worlds with darkness snuffing out the life force of the Disney settings, or trying to rule them or corrupt them against Mickey's kingdom or the like.

Just my thoughts, happy DMing.
Thanks everyone!

I've decided to totally modify Eberron to fit my needs. I'm basically going to superimpose Eberron onto Disneyland and go from there. I'm also probably going to create/change halflings to be "mouselings" therefore allowing my PCs to actually play Mickey-like characters. I'm still not entirely sure what's going to be happening in Tomorrowland, but at least the technology will be available to do something.

The best part? I'm actually going to Disneyland in three weeks, so I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to "research" (yes...that's what riding Pirates 300 times is called...)

If you have any other thoughts, please feel free to leave them here. I'm definitely still in the brainstorming process.

Sign In to post comments