Subscriber

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am debating whether to buy a subscription to D&D insider for a few months. I want to know if I will be able to DM an adventure from what I get by being a subscriber. Do I have to buy books? Or can I just subscribe for a few months and use the subscription stuff like the Compendium?
The stuff gained from a subsription will supplement what you use as a DM, but will not be enough on their own. Additionally, if you don't download everything to your PC during your subscription then you lose access to it after your sub runs out.

Players who use the character builder will also lose access to the characters in the builder when the subscription runs out.
*I personally was unable to figure out how to make use of the import/export options, so as far as I am concerned those do not offer a way to keep your characters for viewing on a DMs account when the sub expires.

IMHO, DDi is a waste of money unless you ALWAYS remember to download the articles AND ALWAYS create copies of your character builder characters &/or changes along the way. 
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
I know about losing everything after my subscription runs out but I want to know if I could use the database instead of buying books. You seem to say no. Why not? 
Yes, you can use the database instead of buying books.  The compendium is quite thorough.  The monster builder is sufficient as well.

Celebrate our differences.

One thing I have found slightly annoying about going mostly-DDI as a DM is lacking the Monster Manuals.  Pictures and flavor text make it a ton easier relating the thing to your group, especially if you're unfamiliar with the monster in question and plucked it from the Monster Builder or Compendium because it met your general criteria.

Most recent example was a Crocotta, which I had absolutely no idea why it was changing its face and laughing at people until I googled it.

If you've got a good knack for creating your own fluff and enough system mastery to develop proper tactics, then the monster statblock is all you need.  But if you're a new DM, or using new monsters, it's much harder.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ok thanks Jharii, thats what I wanted to know! And thanks for the insight Mand12.

Another question, Are there adventures that I can use for my group that are included with the subscription?
Ok thanks Jharii, thats what I wanted to know! And thanks for the insight Mand12.
Another question, Are there adventures that I can use for my group that are included with the subscription?

Dungeon magazine has an abundance of adventures you can use.

One thing you should note...  rules are somewhat absent in the compendium.  I would still recommend the Rules Compendium to supplement any campaign you run.  The online compendium is pretty much everything to fill your campaign up with, player and DM alike.

Celebrate our differences.

Sign In to post comments