Whip-based character?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not entirely sure if this belongs here or somewhere else, but this seemed like the best place from what I could tell.

I wanted to make a 3.5 character built mostly around one idea: harassing the enemy with a whip, mainly through disarming and tripping.

Since this is for an already-running campaign, the character would likely be starting higher than level 1, so I'm thinking of a level of Fighter and putting the rest into Rogue.

The main thing I'm worried about is picking feats (Imp. Disarm/Trip and Combat Expertise are obvious picks) and choosing a prestige class. The friend running the campaign said there were whip-based prestige classes, bu he doesn't remember the name or the book it was in (really appreciate it if someone could tell me).
Ah, I've always wanted to do this too, but I fear it's going to be sub-optimal at best, which is fine in some parties, but the whip seems to have it rather bad ^^ Looking forward to see if there's some answer to this...

Some things I fear will be the death of the idea, though:

- Whips deal no damage to things with an AC of +1 or greater, or a natural armour bonus of +3 or higher. This means that as soon as tripping/disarming isn't viable(big enemies, enemies with multiple legs without weapons, etc) you are redundant. It also means that one of the main advantage of tripping(getting an AoO when they get up) is lost to you, since you most oftenly will not be able to deal damage with it. And no, you can't re-trip an opponent who's getting up, the AoO triggers when they're still on the ground.

- Whips have a 15feet reach, but they don't threathen in the area they can attack in. If I read this literally, they don't even threathen adjacent squares...

- Using a whip provokes an AoO... Making a trip attack with it is using it in my book, and while you avoid the specific AoO you normally get for tripping with feats and such, nothing states that this AoO is avoided as well.

So yeah... I doubt it'll ever be a good idea :p

It sounds like a fun concept for the right sort of campaign, but you're definitely going to want to think of something useful to do when your party encounters opponents who aren't medium bipedal tool users.  How do you imagine this character making himself useful when the party comes across a dragon, or a beholder, a pack of dire wolves or even a swarm of rats?

Mechanically, 3.5 is one of the worst game systems available to express this character concept.  It's a feat intensive martial character with a low damage weapon that plays two tricks that don't work on a wide variety of opponenets.  Ouch, ouch, Ouch.

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
There's a notoriously overpowered build that uses Spiked Chains to accomplish pretty much the same thing.  I found a thread about it here:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Check aelryinth's sig for the standard build setup.
"The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else." -Umberto Eco, from Travels in Hyperreality "The first adventurer was a nuisance. I am sure he acted against his mother's, his wife's, and the council of old men's strict orders when he did it; but it was he that found where the mammoths die and where after a thousand years of use there was still enough ivory to equip the entire tribe with weapons. Such is the ultimate outline of the adventurer; society's benefactor as well as pest." -William Bolitho, from Twelve Against the Gods
I probably should've clarified that this wasn't the only thing this character would be doing, just the go-to strategy whenever it would actually work. I thought of having a little focus into 2W Fighting so I could use a better weapon if I had to hit something (IIRC, there's a way to get a free shot when you trip somebody).
Or just carry around a crossbow or other ranged weapon for dealing actual damage. At least until I could (hopefully) get access to a magic whip with enchantments that make it not suck for damage.

But after poking around in the PHB, I'm thinking that using a spiked chain instead of a whip would be a better idea. Other than the damage and range for each one, the only real difference is that whips don't threaten and give the enemy AoOs. Most likely I wouldn't try any of the overpowered builds, since I'm not a Munchkin and have no interest in being the "herp-derp i'ma make a guy that can kill the Tarrasque by hisself" player (not to imply that the all of the people who do use those builds are like that, of course).

Then again, the main DM among my friends (and the one running the campaign this character would be used in) loves people who make unorthodox characters (probably since all of his characters are like that), and has a tendency to reward people for doing original things and roleplaying well, so sticking with whips might lead to me getting one of the ones from the MIC, like the Lash of Sands...
First I'd say that in the 3.0 book Sword and Fist there is a Whip Dagger that does d6 damage and it's lethal, no restriction based on enemies armor or natural armor. It is exotic though, but you can have mighty versions of them, kinda like might composite longbows. As for the whip not threatening, that's true, but it's also a one handed weapon, you could easily have another weapon in your other hand. Also if you're planning on going a lot of rouge, you could always pick up Improved Feint, because if I remember right you don't have to be in melee to activate it, the attack you make has to be though. Well your melee range is 15ft, so sit back there, feint as a move, whack them with all that sneak attack as your standard.
First I'd say that in the 3.0 book Sword and Fist there is a Whip Dagger that does d6 damage and it's lethal, no restriction based on enemies armor or natural armor. It is exotic though, but you can have mighty versions of them, kinda like might composite longbows. As for the whip not threatening, that's true, but it's also a one handed weapon, you could easily have another weapon in your other hand. Also if you're planning on going a lot of rouge, you could always pick up Improved Feint, because if I remember right you don't have to be in melee to activate it, the attack you make has to be though. Well your melee range is 15ft, so sit back there, feint as a move, whack them with all that sneak attack as your standard.

Thank you for giving me the book name, since it also has the Lasher class rules in it. The class looks absolutely epic for this character's theme.

Feint would really help for disarming and tripping, and since I'd already need Com. Expertise to get Imp. Trip/Disarm it would make sense to pick Imp. Feint up as well.

Sadly, I won't really be able to go through with this character for the current campaign. They already have a good mix of characters... but no healer, thus Mr(s). Whiplash is being shelved in favor of a cleric of Pelor.
Sign In to post comments