To Hit Rating/Stats on Taclord

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm starting an Eladrin Taclord, and am stuggling to decide on my stat array.

My initial thoughts were to go with a fairly standard 18,10,10,16,8,13 (post-racials). I have been contemplating changing that to 17,11,10,17,8,14 post-racials.

I like the second array because it allows me to get a little bit more benifit out of Cha rider feats/powers (plus it will go up to 16 on its own in epic), and my taclord bonus from Int will increase the first time at 4 instead of 8. However, I'll obviously be sacrificing +1 to hit right off the bat so I'm not sure if it's worth it in the long run or not. While I'm sure it'll be fine early levels when I'm not attacking much myself anyways (I have both direct the strike, and commander's strike), I'm concerned for later levels when I do need to attack more. I will be using weapons with +3 proficiency bonus, so that does help.

What do you guys think, am I gimping myself by not starting with an 18 str? 
to be completely honest the warlord is one of the classes the suffers less from missing the starting 18, and you can recover it with a +3 weapon and conditional bonuses, personally i'd go with  16,11,10,18,8,15 or 16,10,14,18,12,8 (the latter if going for ring mail for chainmail proficiency and a bit of initiative. on eladrin i love greatspear because you get it with 1 feat along with a damage boost, and reach is really good on warlords
To be completely honest, ThePurger is wrong. Nothing can "recover" accuracy until you hit 95% accuracy, and Warlords won't reach 95% accuracy.

Warlords come in two flavors: those who want the highest accuracy they can get because their riders on a hit are so great, and those who don't need or want to hit anything. The first category wants STR 18 (and +3 prof, and to always have CA, and would even go for nimble blade or 18+2 STR if it weren't so expensive statwise) quite badly. To further exaggerate the problem, since tactical Warlords give such nice bonuses to hitting things, but mostly just to other people, even with good accuracy by normal standards they're often inaccurate in context.

The latter wants STR 8.

But no, you're not gimping yourself too much by starting at 17 STR, because most of the best powers at low levels don't need to hit anyway. Just hope you never miss with Lead The Attack by 1.
I have a 21st level eladrin taclord who started at level 1 with a 17 Strength.

I found that even with a superior greatspear, my accuracy wasn't quite where I'd like it. Warlord's Favor specifically went through a period of always missing, to the point where I renamed the power Warlord's Miss. As you start to level up, you can catch up a bit.

Here's my tips.

Use a superior greatspear as your weapon.

Don't go for the awesome rider on your weapon - get a cheaper, common weapon that you can improve the enhancement bonus at a faster rate. I highly recommend the Chieftain's Greatspear, or even the Magic Greatspear.

Take an epic destiny that bumps your strength.
i'm costantly baffled by these boards, and i'm not really sure what kind of games everyone seems to play in.

my reply was and is based on about a year with an average 1,5 d&d sessions a week, using official material and guidelines, and i've NEVER saw a character having problems with a 1 difference in their stat score, or to-hit in general.
heck, i've had to raise the encounter levels costantly after level 6-7 to even make them a challenge, with my epic group often round-1 annihilating BBEG and walking away no healing surges spent, and they're not CharOp optimizers at all.

edit: after that, i've only said that probably 1 less strength (quite the same  as starting 17 at high level anyway) wouldn't probably gimp the character Too much
Alraune is right. Warlords are the posterchilds for 16/16/13/11/8 arrays pre-racials. What you gain from good INT is too precious to sac for a +1 to hit, particularly when said +1 is easily compensated, but a base 16 STR is too precious to pass up. Always start with an 18/18 spread on Warlords (or 18/16 if Human).
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
It's the optimization board, Purger. If people ask what the best thing to do is, and one option is 5% better than another, we tell them to use that option.

On the practical side, it goes something like this: "We're in a high-level encounter with multiple elites, and they get back three recharge 6's in the first two rounds. What build decision am I most going to regret?" Not landing your awesome effect due to having picked the wrong race is easily topping that list.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I'm very curious as to how people view the 18-14-11-10-10-8 array on a Bravura Warlord, and with a race that gives +2 to str. Bravura Presence probably cares the least about a secondary stat, and your AC is just fine in chain and (heavy) shield. I've no illusions that +to hit optimization is absolutely required on a warlord build that needs to hit to make things happen, but would you take the 18-array?
Have you considered being a "lazy" tac lord?

My Eladrin Warlord is at level 23 in LFR is a lazy tac lord.... I put my 18 into intelligence.. 20 after racial... and never looked back...I have a good MBA due to melee training and I give full intel bonus to hit and damage when my party uses an action point.  I also give full intel bonus to initiative.

Depending on the role you play in your particular party you may want to have a high strength... but it is not mandatory to being a tac lord.     
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I'm very curious as to how people view the 18-14-11-10-10-8 array on a Bravura Warlord, and with a race that gives +2 to str. Bravura Presence probably cares the least about a secondary stat, and your AC is just fine in chain and (heavy) shield. I've no illusions that +to hit optimization is absolutely required on a warlord build that needs to hit to make things happen, but would you take the 18-array?

I personally wouldn't because Harlequin Style makes Brash Assault into a BS strong power tactically speaking (this assuming the opponent doesn't gamble on a chance to hit you - if they do, it's the best power in the game, flat out), and that thing gobbles up CHA, but it's at least workable. Then again though, I tend to play Human Warlords, who really feel the sting of a 14 secondary. Doublestatted characters can probably get away with it and it just colors my perceptions.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up settling with the 17 str, and after several sessions I haven't had any problems, and really like have the extra Int and Cha. We'll see how it goes as I level up, I do plan keeping a cheap magic weapon on hand so I can keep that bonus up as much as possible.
Go lazy or go home!

...er
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Go lazy or go home!

Tbh the more I play the more tempting this is. I think it's too late to change my stats though, my DM is open to small retcons early on to tweak your character, but at this point I think I'm locked into 17 starting str
Sign In to post comments