Bloodied penalty?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of house ruling some kind of Bloodied Penalty, like the Clobbered rule variant in 3.5 (when you take damage equal to half your maximum hit points, you can only take a single action on your next turn), since I was thinking that when a creature has been beated up, it will be exhausted and have a harder time fighting from that point. Not anything big, but I was thinking a -1 penalty to attack rolls and AC to bloodied creatures or losing a minor action the turn following being bloodied (Example: A character has 41 hp. A bugbear attacks him and reduces him too 19 hp. The character loses his minor action on his next turn)

Opinions/ideas? 
Yeah...I'm going to say that's a BAD idea.  For one if nothing else robbing someone of their minor action just because they're bloodied would suck.  That could practically ruin an entire character if they have abilities that need minors to sustain.  Also then would that mean they can't take ANY minor actions?  So they couldn't say swap their move action for a minor, or they'd just those their one minor per turn?  You have to think about those things, but again, BAD idea.

Don't penalize people for being bloodied.  I mean depending on how do your encounters most of the time a few people should be bloodied anyhow.  And exhaustion is basically already set into play by the limit on powers.  That's why there's daily, enc, at will.  I mean you can do whatever you want but penalizing your players just because they get bloodied when more likely than not that should be happen to at least a couple players every combat sounds like a jerk thing to do.  If you want tougher battles then just make the monsters tougher but don't lump on pain in the ass penalties to the players for it. 
Anything like this will hurt players more than monsters (even if applied evenly). This will make the game tougher for them and increase player deaths. If thats what you want have at it. I try to decrease player deaths as often as possible because it makes telling a coherent story harder.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Hmm, you've made some good points. Thanks for answering in anyway
Some character abilities rely on being bloodied, or give benefits while bloodied. (The dragonborn racial is one example straight out of the PHB.) Turning bloodied into a penalty-invoking status would degrade or negate the value of those abilities.

Being bloodied DOES already leave you vulnerable in a different way: many creature (and some PC) abilities have additional effects against a bloodied target or can only be used against a bloodied target.
Neatronium Dragon is right.

If you want your group to be more afraid of the bloodied condition, have then go through an adventure against bloodthirst werewolf variants that, at the scent of blood, go into a feral rage.

I have gone through theme adventures to teach my group things before, and it always makes them better adventurers and better roleplayers. We've been playing for two years now, and in our group of friends we are the "elite" roleplayers. There are three groups running and we are the "most experienced". To maintain that status I want my group to know most monsters and how to counter them. I did this by making a mountain full of unstable portals, and each room was filled with monsters, challenges and flavour from the other planes. They got a sneak-peak at almost all major types of encounters and they really learned a lot. I was so proud of them when the striker of the group decided to, instead of dealing massive damage, to hit the Siren in the throat to stop her singing and save our controller. I almost cried I was so proud :P

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
And believe me, that kind of experience sticks. Now, whenever a monster even so much as whistles, the adventurer closest to him has already muffled him somehow before he can finish the melody. 

Make them scared of bloodied and they will stay scared of bloodied.

If you just want the condition for the heck of it, make it a disease and then make it an adventure to get rid of the disease. Think of it as un-approved playtesting :P

Edit: If you do add the penalty, consider the requirement to be "When you have a number of hit points remaining equal to your level or less you are subjected to the "Nearly dying" condition blablablabla 

...or "twice" your level hit points remaining or less. 

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
I have thought about something similar. With yours i would go -1 to attack rolls and skill checks, -2 at surge value this would simulate some incentive to stay as high hp as possible. This would also make it significantly harder, and things that reward you for being bloodied would serve to negate the penalty instead.

Right now i play with a massive damage threshold rule instead. If you take damage equal to or greater than your bloodied value roll an endurance check against a medium DC if the check fails you are instantly reduced to 0 hit points and fall unconcious. Alternatively, you can use a saving throw plus con mod to determine this but it will lower the frequency it occurs. This should be decided by the DM at the start of the campaign whether to use saving throw or endurance check.

It is balanced and works for both pcs and monsters so it makes it a little more difficult. PCs arent insta slain if they fail since they just fall unconcious. But it does open them up to a coup de grace by certain monsters. Elites and solos can usually hit the bloodied value of a pc. Either of those 2 options i think would be good. But ive tested the massive damage one and both me and my players like it.
Drop the -1 to attack rolls, players don't like missing. A -2 to skill checks might prevent some very creative skill uses. Try making the penalties so that it comes down on the PC's performance, but don't affect the player's performance all that much. A penalty to damage rolls, diminished healing surge value and  the slowed effect all come to mind.

I've custom created a 4e variant of Star Wars Saga Condition Track for use with stamina points.

For your purpose, a basic version of this would be -1 to all non-offense checks while bloodied.  When you hit 0 HP, you also take -1 penalty to speed until you are restored to your bloodied value, or until you take an extended rest.

-2 penalty to healing value is an absolutely atrocious idea, especially when you're bloodied; that's when you need the healing the most.
You don't want to give penalties to actions, that's not fun.

Here's my propsal: Maximize damage taken when bloodied, for heroes and foes. This also makes fights end quicker as you basically cut everyone's hit points by 25% and there's less dice rolling.
You might also save up powers like Disruptive Strike or Shield for blocking a hit while you are in the vulnerable Bloodied status. This also encourages people to save up their strong daily for a finishing blow.

For characters like Dragonborn who get a bonus at bloodied, consider increasing their bonuses to represent this danger zone's severity.
.... perhaps when you action point while bloodied, you can spend a healing surge for free? This would encourage people to not alpha strike their action points too.

Being bloodied is now something that changes the pacing of the encounter.