Muses and Graces

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for stats for the Muses and Graces of Greek mythology if they exist online somewhere. If you also know of any classes dedicated to them that would be very helpful too...
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
I honestly can't say I've heard of any statistics for any given edition, nor does the question really indicate the context in which you intend to use them (I'm assuming that you'd use them as minor goddesses).

It would be difficult to give them proper deity statistics due to the relatively large number of them with few well-defined differences between them; on the other hand, if I were making them using Deities and Demigods, it would be practical to start with a basic set of statistics due to that similarity and tweak them to represent their different flavours.  I'm not sure, for example, that anyone cares if the muse of comedy or the muse of dance has a higher Strength score, so much as whether they do a good job of representing comedy or dance.

If you were just trying to include them in a minor way, providing the basics useful for worshippers (domain information and such) and maybe creating a prestige class along the lines of the Ordained Champion (a single prestige class with specific elaborations for each separate muse or grace) could be more than enough.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I'm actually working on an idea for a post-Zeus Olympic pantheon where he has been overthrown like his dad and grandpappy before him and want to round out the minor gods. I also have some adventure ideas for a spell that summons the mortal avatar of a muse to help an artist...
Hmmm... No love for the goddesses of grace and beauty? None?
All I can suggest is to make them quasi-goddesses.

Calliope could be a truenamer, Clio an archivist, Erato a bard, Euterpe a bard, Melpomene a bard, Polyhymnia a bard, Terpsichore a Dervish, Thalia a bard and Urania an expert. Maybe enchantress, illusionist, psion and wilder coudl fit in if you'd like. The three Graces could easily be enchantresses and such.

For race, I think the gods in Deities and Demigods were more or less titans. You could always use a human with the human paragon PrC with the epic creature template and add the class(es). Weird CR, but would it matter really?

Sounds about right. I'm sure if there were even priests of these powers in real life, should a cleric be dedicated to a Muse? The current domains would not be enough to describe the activities of these powers if there were clerics devoted to them. Hmmm...
For race, I think the gods in Deities and Demigods were more or less titans. You could always use a human with the human paragon PrC with the epic creature template and add the class(es). Weird CR, but would it matter really?

If I recall correctly, they sort of used the titan as a starting idea.  The gods and goddesses from Deities and Demigods have a standard set of deity ability scores that get adjusted by their power and whatnot; it was one of the questions answered in the FAQ document in regard to making your own deities.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I am thinking there are not enough domains to cover everything the Muses and Graces do. Besides knowledge, what domains would they have? Would their clerics not need domains for things like Music and Beauty?
Muses are similar to Juno and Genius, and those are similar to Socrates' Daemon. These are connected to the Agathodaimon and Kakodaimon which in D&D are the Agathinon Aasimon and Cacodemon, but also similar to the Djinn.

So right off the bat you are looking at an Extraplanar being with either some crazy polymorph or wish granting abilities, a means to fly, weapons immunity, teleport without error, planar travel, and other Proxy like powers. As powerful as you have Aasimon and Genies, that's the power range for your Muses.
Options are Liberating
Muses are similar to Juno and Genius, and those are similar to Socrates' Daemon. These are connected to the Agathodaimon and Kakodaimon which in D&D are the Agathinon Aasimon and Cacodemon, but also similar to the Djinn.

So right off the bat you are looking at an Extraplanar being with either some crazy polymorph or wish granting abilities, a means to fly, weapons immunity, teleport without error, planar travel, and other Proxy like powers. As powerful as you have Aasimon and Genies, that's the power range for your Muses.

Is there not a ranking system for the power level of deities? How would that work? I am thinking Muses and Graces would be near the bottom of that scale, but definitely powers...