Actions during a move action

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you allow minor actions to take place during a move action?

I know RAW says this can not happen but what about the PC who has Sp 6, Moves 2 towards a door the opens the door. Would you allow them to move the remaining 4sq. This would require that there was no time to stop a listen to what was on the other side and adjust actions.

What about jumping and at the apex of the jump, free action retrieve immovable rod, minor action activate rod, then remain hanging in mid-air?

In the first case I'd generally count opening the door as costing a square of movement rather than a minor action. (This assumes that the door is easily opened, of course.)

While the second isn't technically rules-legal, it's the sort of thing for which stepping a bit outside the normal rules would be acceptable.

In home games we're pretty free about using minors during moves. My shielding swordmage is especially appreciative since it means she can do run-by markings and then stay away from her mark thus making herself far more effective.

But even when running Encounters I allow minors during moves for things like opening a door, drawing your sword, or pulling something out of your pocket. Basically, anything you could reasonably do while walking I'll allow during a move action. It just seems silly not to.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Do you allow minor actions to take place during a move action?

It depends on the action. In most cases, yes.

I know RAW says this can not happen but what about the PC who has Sp 6, Moves 2 towards a door the opens the door. Would you allow them to move the remaining 4sq. This would require that there was no time to stop a listen to what was on the other side and adjust actions.

I would allow this and I think most other DMs would as well.

What about jumping and at the apex of the jump, free action retrieve immovable rod, minor action activate rod, then remain hanging in mid-air?

I would probably require him to already have the rod in hand, but otherwise yes.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I never allow minors during a move.   Moving up to a door, then stopping to open the door, movement is over.   Moving up to a cliff/wall, then switching to climb, move is over before climbing starts.    There are powers that allow certain actions during a move, and there are reasons they are powers and not a standard rule.

Free actions are fine, everything else interrupts the move.   An interrupted move is an ended one.  Never would I allow start move/minor action/continue that move.   Offhand, I can think of no exceptions.
Moving up to a cliff/wall, then switching to climb, move is over before climbing starts.

That's a bit harsh given that they are both move actions.
I never allow an Action to be taken in the middle of another Action, except a few Free action (Talk, Drop Held Item etc...) and other Actions designed to act as such (Triggered Actions)

The only door i would allow to be opened as part of a Move action would be door i would establish as requiring no action to open  ie. door without locket that can swing open freely.
I never allow minors during a move.   Moving up to a door, then stopping to open the door, movement is over.   Moving up to a cliff/wall, then switching to climb, move is over before climbing starts.    There are powers that allow certain actions during a move, and there are reasons they are powers and not a standard rule.

Free actions are fine, everything else interrupts the move.   An interrupted move is an ended one.  Never would I allow start move/minor action/continue that move.   Offhand, I can think of no exceptions.

The first, you're technically correct, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.  The second, you';re completely wrong, switching movement modes during a move is perfectly allowable, and indeed, expected when you consider something like taking a running jump.  Switching movement modes is not an action.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
kinda depends on the game.  

Home game, no problem either way.  As long as the monsters and the players follow the same rule it's a wash, otherwise you end up with a weird action advantage on one side or the other.

Lair Assault or other tournament style adventure, expect to stop moving at the door and then spending your minor to open it. 

And can't emphasize thespaceinvader's point more, there is no action change between switching movement modes per RC page 204, Combining Movement Modes. 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

As I play outside tournaments, I generally take a very liberal view of movement.  

Specifically, I allow players and monsters to use all of their movement during a turn.  A creature with Speed 6 can move 2 squares, make an attack, and move the remaining 4 squares.  

My only exception is that any power that allows free or bonus movement negates any remaining Speed; if a character with Speed 6 moves 2 squares and then uses a power that allows it to teleport, the character's movement has ended.

I encourage this deviation from the rules in my games because it slightly speeds up the flow of combat or micromanaged exploration.  This alteration of the core rules has not had a negative impact on the game so far, and I've been using this modified rule for almost 8 months.
I would never allow a move action to span a standard actions, and an attack power within a move action is specifically a flyby acttack It also negates the differentiation of class powers.

I do allow change in movement modes. Quite within the rules, no problem.

Any free actions, no problem.

I am trying to acertain how leanient people are with minor actions. Predictably, the rules lawyers, I guess, are saying 'nerver allowed' and the non-rules lawyers will allow it.

What I want to have a idea of is if you do allow minor actions what sorts of activities or situations would be your limits, like if a normal unlocked closed door is that fine or would the door need to ajar. What bought allowing minor action skill checks like if the PC needed to put their shoulder into the door because it is stuck / jammed and the PC can see it is or knows it is from previously interacting with the door. Athletics and acrobatics checks are free actions during movement i.e jump, climb, swim, balance etc.

Assuming you are going to allow some minor action activities during a move action, where is your line in the sand drawn?
If I were to draw such a line, I would use a very basic approach.

Namely, if the minor action can be accomplished without breaking stride, it can be performed as part of a movement action.

For instance, you can open an unlocked door without breaking stride, you can hop over a small obstacle without having to plant your feet, and you can draw a stowed item or sheathed weapon without slowing your forward progress.

On the other side of that coin, I would say limiting actions include:

• unlocking a door

• moving a heavy object (weight may be relative to Strength scores)

• placing an item in a precise location

Reasonably, many minor actions could be accomplished as part of a movement action, but in this situation, I would continue to define the so-called line in the sand as any minor action that forces a character to break its stride; once a character's movement is halted, the movement action would end and the minor action would begin.
> Moving up to a cliff/wall, then switching to climb, move is over before
> climbing starts.

IIRC, climbing movement is simply part of the ongoing movement. It (usually) costs more squares and requires an Athletics check, but Mr. Speed 6 could walk 2 squares to a wall and climb 2 squares of the wall in a single move action.
Sign In to post comments