DKA/ISD/ISD draft 3

382 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ghoultree, right? Or the Warlord?

I might actually want the Warlord.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Ghoultree.  Let's go for the self-mill option.  Instincts or Thought Scour should table.
Sure, the 10/10 without Trample is still a 10/10.  Ghoultree.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I'm liking Burden of Guilt. I feel like it'll do more for us than a sometimes-castable 10/10 with no abilities, especially in a format with a fair amount of token-making. Also, there's no other white of note in the pack, and it's removal.
My choice is Warlord before Burden of Guilt. No love for Ghoultree.
Ghoultree - very splashable, very chunky.
Ghoultree.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Ghoultree, though I could easily be swayed to the side of the Burden crowd.

Though self-mill or splash in UB zombie are the most likely candidates, I've been brutalized by one in a GWr deck with Kessig Wolf Run too. He does really long for trample, though.

I do love me some vampires, so warlord is tempting, too.

After being brutalized by indestructables last night, a small piece of me thinks the burden of guilt sounds good, too. 

To heck with it, Burden of Guilt
Warlord.  Seems like that guy could steal some wins.
markov warlord for me.
Markov Warlord

This guy absolutely wins games. If you have this in your deck and get your opponent anywhere near 10 life then you can almost always win with this guy. Haste AND getting rid of two blockers? Instant "alpha strike".

If we take Ghoultree then we're passing a bunch of blue, including two mill cards and a skaab, so we're going to end up competing against at least one if not two other players for the cards that we need. We'd also be passing a Village Survivors. With red we're only passing on one card.

Burden of Guilt has the advantage that we wouldn't be passing along any white, but I just think that Markov Warlord is too much of a bomb compared to the mana-sink, pseudo removal of Burden of Guilt
Count me for the Warlord instead, then.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I love Crossway Vampire.  Markov Warlord seems a bit spendy, but with haste it really is good enough.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I like both Erdwall Ripper and Blood Feud.  The ripper would be a nice nudge towards going straight aggro vampires, which has a lot of good support in innistrad.  the Feud is removal, and a probable 2-for-1 at that, but it does cost six when the format is still decently fast.  Count me in for the Ripper, but I wouldn't be unhappy with feud.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Blood Feud though I really like the Collar.
Blood Feud
ripper. blood feud costs 6, and it takes work to make it a 2-for-1. I mean, yeah, it can take out a couple 2/2s, but I really want my 6-mana removal to be able to deal with anything, and it can't.

Blood feud can go 2-for-1, but if the opponent's creatures can't kill each other, it might also be useless.

Given red vamp starting card, vengeful vamp, afflicted deserter, and ripper are all good. Vengeful is a bit expensive, and going with one of the reds saves us from overcommitting to a second color so soon. But even if we end up going B/R vamps, the deserter is a nice card to have along... kills artifacts and damages the controller at the same time. I could see an unanswered ripper winning the game, but at the same time, the Deserter is removal. I think I'd go with the deserter.

Afflicted Deserter/Werewolf Ransacker 
erdwal ripper.
When you guys request things like Erdwal Ripper in a pack with Avacyn's Collar, Afflicted Deserter and Blood Feud, it makes me strongly wonder whether you have a positive game win record for draft. Didn't everyone learn their lesson with Bloodcrazed Neonate?

Here are the pros/cons I see for each card:

Blood Feud: Possible two for 1 vs expensive, doesn't guarentee that the card you want will always be killable.
Avacyn's Collar:Makes every deck, marginally useful in every deck vs only very useful in a human oriented deck
Afflicted Deserter: A decent body once flipped, huge impact against specific decks, for example, those that run Butcher's Cleaver vs weak/costly in human form

Erdwal Ripper: Very poor card overall, will likely not make the deck unless it is either over 65% red, or a vampire deck. Best case scenario is typically 2 haste damage + opponent must deal with a 3/2. More often a 2/1 for 3. High color commitment. No upside in a non-vampire deck.

Hmmm... I guess my pick is split between the Feud and Collar, for now I'll do a half vote each. High upside removal vs a card that is guarenteed to make the deck regardless of the final colors.
I have to agree with Bobus here. Ripper is something you pick up once you have a Stormkirk Captain and a couple of Pyreheart Wolfes. It's unforgivable this early.

To be honest, I like Collar the best here but changing my vote might mean we end with something third.
I'm not a big fan of collar this early especially when our first pick is likely to mean that we are going to be short on humans (where the collar really shines).  Blood Feud is a little slow but is normally a guaranteed two-for-one and works great in some sort of midrange control deck, which I really like to build.
Collar.  Just because it isn't at its full potential in a particular deck, doesn't mean it isn't worth picking.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I have to agree with Bobus here. Ripper is something you pick up once you have a Stormkirk Captain and a couple of Pyreheart Wolfes. It's unforgivable this early.

To be honest, I like Collar the best here but changing my vote might mean we end with something third.

There are a few ways to fix this situation. One is to allow people to state their first and second picks. Another is to do runoff voting, and a third is to allow people to vote against cards. Otherwise you just get the situation you get at the Oscars when movies like Rocky, Forest Gump and Shakespeare in Love win Best Picture against very stiff competition, because the other movies split the good movie vote.
I think this has to be the Boneflinger.
Time to pick a second colour.  The choices are:

Nephalia Seakite - a surprise 2/3 flyer for 4 mana seems good to me.
Niblis of the Urn - a good beater that is quite hard to block with its ability.
Farbog Boneflinger - a good removal card but not often a 2 for 1 in my book (as a 2/2 for 5 will normally not have the body to do everything you want).

I mentioned in the last post that I like Red/Blue when going for a high end curve so I will pick the Seakite but wouldn't be unhappy with any of these picks.
I think this has to be the Boneflinger.

No it doesn't Tongue Out
I just want to clarify here:

Red/White is awful. It's one of the hardest decks to put together.
Red/Blue is extremely gimmicky and inconsistent.
Red/Black is amazing and aggressive.

Vote Boneflinger for President!
No, vote Seakite.

Boneflinger
He can fling
his bones at my kite all day
but he wont slay (it)

It's just a Boneflinger....

(to the tune of Goldfinger for any Bond fans)

I like the Boneflinger here, but it is close. With the initial Warlord pick you could even make a case that G/R werewolf/vampire will turn out to be the best, and R/G is generally a good pairing, which puts the Vigilent 4/5 into the mix.

Sure, give me the Village Survivors.  Surviving to midgame to land midrange beats will be hard, but it might actually be effective.

I'm honestly not very impressed with Boneflinger, while ok removal at the critical -2 toughness point for this block, I think his attached body is simply too small for his cost.  He should be 3/3 and that would make him a competitive pick here.  Much as I don't want to disagree with Lobster's intuition on which colors we should take a second time (see draft 2), I think G/R is also a very aggressive pick.  We aren't "Vampires" yet, and could just as easily see a Drogskol Captain as a Markov one in the next few packs.  Picking Green is a weak color commitment since that's where so much fixing sits, and we could easily splash Green, or use Green to splash a 3rd color.

So, I'll say Village Survivors.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
I'm honestly not very impressed with Boneflinger, while ok removal at the critical -2 toughness point for this block, I think his attached body is simply too small for his cost.  He should be 3/3 and that would make him a competitive pick here.  Much as I don't want to disagree with Lobster's intuition on which colors we should take a second time (see draft 2), I think G/R is also a very aggressive pick.  We aren't "Vampires" yet, and could just as easily see a Drogskol Captain as a Markov one in the next few packs.  Picking Green is a weak color commitment since that's where so much fixing sits, and we could easily splash Green, or use Green to splash a 3rd color.

So, I'll say Village Survivors.

I was on the fence, but you've convinced me. Village Survivors it is. 
Boneflinger.
Niblis of the Urn. I like how nasty it makes the combat math, and it pairs well with the Warlord.
farbog boneflinger.
I think I'd say Niblis of the Urn. W1 is easily splashable, no need to commit to R/W as main colors. And if we do think we are going vamps, I can just see it knocking blockers out of the way of assorted rippers, aristocrats, and neonates.

Though boneflinger is tempting. I'm not really that impressed with it, but I've seen situations where it can be useful.
I'll go survivors for the colors.

Sign In to post comments