Chances of 4e-specific Products After April 2012, and Support Beyond 2013

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I admit, I'm not pleased Menzoberranzan is system neutral when it could have been the Paragon equivalent of Neverwinter. Less pleased that, after Undermountain, there's no word on future 4e products- if there'll even be any.

2012 DDi support is good, I want that, but I also want setting, book, supplement support up until the premature end of my edition of choice. Now I understand setting is pretty much impossible beyond small treatments online, but supplements? I might be sated with a Heroes of the Astral Sea and a Feywild Gazetter, but would have loved to have seen Savage Species, Fiendish Codex, Dungeon Delves 2 (Paragon) and 3 (Epic), Epic Handbook, Lords of Madness, and no doubt a dozen more. There is so much more design space to cover, yet.

Sadly, on EnWorld we were doing a little production process math, and realized that if 5e has been in the works for the last 10 months, and a typical book takes almost a full year to go from drawing board to book stores, then we've just a 2 month window left of what was worked on prior to energies put toward the unity edition. And wouldn't you know it, that window closes in May, the month after the scheduled release of the last known 4e product "Halls of Undermountain", so far as I can figure.

5e and the resulting venom against 4e in general has more or less tempered my preference for 4e, and lit a fire in efforts of supporting it. I'm currently pushing a project in Open Design (though I'm the only 4e project out of 20 in the docket), and plan to support the edition through grassroots efforts via Fourth Party.

WotC is clearly distancing themselves, but I know there's a community presence that also wants more of 4e. When the doors close on official support, is anyone else interested in continuing? Do you have any plans to blog support or even third party support 4e?
I am currently undertaking a massive project to create 4th edition supplements for the video game worlds of Final Fantasy, Castlevania, Mana, Legend of Zelda, and Mario, including enemies, items, classes/races (and in the veign of some of them, prebuilt things akin to the vampire for Mario and such).  Not sure how it'll work out, but I am interested in any community driven effeort to support 4th edition after the final product finds its way to shelves, provided that the content is peer reviewed by trusted memebers of the community known for their system knowledge. 

I am interested, in other words.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
im working on a free 4e zine. its a little slow going as im doing the whole first issue myself but i will take submissions after that. i post updates on my blog in my sig

i dont care at all that some dont like 4e

its cool to see the stuff yall are doing! ill join that forum

i dont think its such a bad thing that 4e official support is going away, the only thing i want to continue is this 4e tools. we will find out if wizards are total liars or not on that front soon enough
im working on a free 4e zine. its a little slow going as im doing the whole first issue myself but i will take submissions after that. i post updates on my blog in my sig

i dont think its such a bad thing that 4e official support is going away, the only thing i want to continue is this 4e tools. we will find out if wizards are total liars or not on that front soon enough

I'd be interested in creating submitions. 

I'd be interested in creating submitions. 

excellent!

These responses are encouraging. I'm a huge proponent of community support, and in this blogging/self-publication age, sustaining a past edition of D&D has really never been easier. The entire OSR is basically predicated on that principle. There's also been a great side growth in the fourthcore area, a certain play-style, certainly, but 4e support none the less. I guess I'm saying it can be done, especially if we're all aware of one another, and even helping one another.

In terms of members of the community with extensive rules knowledge participating, there are quite a few, and I have been in contact with several. Much has been done in the study of the game's math, theory, design, and the effects of tweaking it this way or that, even for the lone developer to reference.

Ultimately, I believe there is an audience for this sort of work, and there will be even after 5e. How large or small, I couldn't say, but it's what I'm interested in so... that's all that really matters to me. PLus, it's just plain fun to design in the 4e space. If anything good comes out of the drying up of the well, maybe more fans and amateur designers will be inspired to provide their own material.
I'm working on homebrew races, themes, subclasses… now that 4e published material is winding down, I'm looking for how I can continue to support and play the game in the long haul, and looking for the community run groups that keep 4e alive even after 5e.

That doesn't mean I won't check out 5e – just that I've invested so much in 4e and I really like the system.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I wonder if wizards of the coast wil ever make another solo board game like LOD,WOA, or CA, i have really enjoyed them alot. Does any here no If such a thing will come out this year if at all ?

If anyone is interested in providing more 4E material, I'd be interested to contribute.

Frankly, 4E is the edition that made me really want to DM, because it kept all the insane abilities off the table, or at least if they were present it was just in the form of massive damage instead of "Oh, Enemy dies". Plus, everything can be easily created in like, under two minutes, especially if you've a laptop handy.

Areas I'm interested in.. hmm let's see
- Mechanical Simplification : If anything, 4E is really an edition that can do without Classes. And without HP Bloat too.
- Roles Commentary : some Roles can be combined and modified (Controller & Defender). Others (Strikers) can be removed without HP Bloat. There can even be a proposed 4E without Roles... but that might get dry.
- DMs & Settings : Tips for DMing on the fly and Campaign Setting Creation
- Random Generation : Ideas for randomly generating Encounters, Dungeons, or even Adventures and Storylines. Related to "Playing without a DM."

I am Blue/White

I'm still working on my elemental classes at the moment, and after that I'll probably continue dabbling with ideas. If there's a real community for it, I have a horde of ideas that I'd love to put to paper, like a build-a-monster class, the missing basic concept races (ooze, demon-spawn, etc), and maybe some Planescape conversions if I can ever get my books out of storage. Not to mention all the elemental and serpent-related stuff floating around in my head. I'd have more done by now, but life keeps happening to me. :P
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
 So support of 4E stops right around my birthday Cry