need help with backstory for my warlock

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
new to 4e, i've bought alot of the merchandise and books/ adventures etc, only have 3 other friends interested in playing and we've gotten together a few times to try it here and there where i have always been the DM since im most familiar with it... but even my knowledge of it is quite lacking.
however one of my friends who recently joined (the 3rd player) says he'll try DMing and allow me to try playing as a player which i've never really had a chance to experience before. anyways sorry for the backstory rambling...here's my character:

i was planning on making a Revenant Drow Warlock with the Dark Pact, his backstory was going to be that his brother was a previous character that i use as a common theme in other games (dark elf bladesmaster/rogue etc) and anyways my warlock character is friends with a fellow companion Vaclar who joins in the middle of the adventure with the other 2 players, during the story however i was thinking my warlock gets killed off maybe in some form of attack not quite sure, i'd like it to be something interesting but not so dramatic and cliche. anyways maybe a few months pass or a year even and he returns with very little memory left, save for that of his brother and his best friend (the PC barbarian companion)

my questions being are what sort of things can i tie into his story to strengthen his personality as a Revenant, how do revenant act after they come back alive? also what goals should i give him know, and also i haven't really understood the Dark Pact, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a interesting tips or ideas to bounce off of for how he became involved in the life of a Warlock and more directly the Dark Pact.
Revenents live in the shadow of their former self. The flashes of their past life doing nothing to remind them of who they once were, but also subtly guiding them towards some bigger purpose. They are always in ignorance of themselves, and their new personalities and beliefs may countradict everything they once stood for while they were alive.

In this, there's no right or wrong way to play a Revenant. One Revenant may try to unravel the mystery of their demise, while another may not even care, content more to live a new life as a new being. Others still may loath what they are, clinging to their past life too closely as they try to find a way to either redeem or restore themselves. And if that fails, avenge themselves.

Thinking about this, how does your character now see himself? Is he proud of what he has become, something more than he once was? Or does he find his new form grotesque, one more undead monster to plague the lands? Perhapse he simply doesn't care? What was it that killed the character? How did he come back? Was it a result of a poorly attempted Raise Dead ritual, or was it the will of a being greater than the character can understand right now? What goals does your character have now that he is revived that differ from his past self? What goals are the same? What goals has he forgotten?

Hope this helps. Happy Gaming
Revenants are commonly raised by beings much greater than themselves, for example, The Raven Queen (the 4e god of death). The god might have raised the revenant if she needed him to complete some great destiny, or she felt that his death was not justified.
The Dark Pact is commonly used by drow, who utilise its plague, disease, shadow, and acid elements.  Why did he bargain with fell entities for the power of a dark pact? was it a lust for power? Or did he need it to save someone he loved?  Perhaps he needed it to escape the drow city where he was born.

new to 4e, i've bought alot of the merchandise and books/ adventures etc, only have 3 other friends interested in playing and we've gotten together a few times to try it here and there where i have always been the DM since im most familiar with it... but even my knowledge of it is quite lacking.
however one of my friends who recently joined (the 3rd player) says he'll try DMing and allow me to try playing as a player which i've never really had a chance to experience before. anyways sorry for the backstory rambling...here's my character:

i was planning on making a Revenant Drow Warlock with the Dark Pact, his backstory was going to be that his brother was a previous character that i use as a common theme in other games (dark elf bladesmaster/rogue etc) and anyways my warlock character is friends with a fellow companion Vaclar who joins in the middle of the adventure with the other 2 players, during the story however i was thinking my warlock gets killed off maybe in some form of attack not quite sure, i'd like it to be something interesting but not so dramatic and cliche. anyways maybe a few months pass or a year even and he returns with very little memory left, save for that of his brother and his best friend (the PC barbarian companion)

my questions being are what sort of things can i tie into his story to strengthen his personality as a Revenant, how do revenant act after they come back alive? also what goals should i give him know, and also i haven't really understood the Dark Pact, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a interesting tips or ideas to bounce off of for how he became involved in the life of a Warlock and more directly the Dark Pact.

Goals? Decide how you feel about your patron and base your goals on this. For example if you hate your patron andwant to be free of them your goal is to find a way of escape. Or it could be simply to please them.
Maybe your character became a Warlock at the same time he became a Revenant?

Think about it like this: your Drow is dead, with an important goal he must accomplish. An unfathomable being of of dark magic also has a goal it wants to accomplish on the mortal plane, but it cannot because it is sealed wherever. So, it bargains with the Drow. It will return him to life and give him the power needed to accomplish his goal, if in turn he will accomplish the Pact-givers goal.

Of course, since this IS a being of dark magic, the resurrection is naturally going to be rather... eerie, to say the least. 

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

I'm with Ventnor on this.  

You die, you decide you aren't done, and you bargain with some dark entity whose identity you probably don't even know.  It sends you back, but you're tied to it and beholden to it - that's your dark pact.  

This also has the advantage of building a bunch of hooks into your PC that your DM can exploit - either in providing you enemies of your patron, or subtle prods by your patron to accomplish certain goals.  

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
i don't know if this is what you were looking for, but if you've read the Forgotten Realms D&D books about Drizzt Do'Urden, at the "beginning" of his story he was supposed to be sacrificed as the 3rd son of a noble Drow house (3rd sons kinda get the shaft)  Anyways, right before it was supposed to happen, the 2nd oldest son betrayed and killed the oldest son.  This let Drizzt live, and the second oldest son was basically praised for his (secret) assassination and got to reap the benefits of being eldest.

Its KIND OF cliche, but backstabbing, even (maybe even especially) among friends and family in drow society is common.  Maybe your brother, or a close friend betrayed and killed you?  maybe even years in the past.

maybe you were a wizard of some sort in your past life, and as part of coming back to life as a revenant you also wanted to bargain with some higher powers to gain more power, so such a thing wouldn't happen again.  it doesn't matter that warlcosk aren't really more powerful than wizards, the impression, storywise, is that you've set yourself up for great things, but at what cost?

the treachery and backstabbing common in drow culture also work well with the dark pact, which kind of accentuates hurting your friends (slightly) for greater power.