Compatibility between D&D and Star Wars RPG Saga Edition miniatures?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I understand that they are neither from the same universe or game, but i also understand that they use very similar d20 systems. Given the fact that SW:RPG has been discontinued, this makes finding miniatures harder. My intentions would be to incorporate D&D creatures into a SW:RPG as smoothly as possible, and implement them into the story via undiscovered worlds or mutations. 

My main concerns would be the difference between stats.
Any and all suggestions and help are very much appreciated. 

Ignore the D&D stats completely and just make up your own - I honestly think it'd probably be easiest to completely ignore the D&D stats and fluff for the creatures and just make up your own Star Wars stats for them that have nothing to do with the D&D versions...
You're going to run into a great deal of genre-conflict if you try to use D&D creatures in a Star Wars game.

The flavor and the power/threat levels of what those creatures represent in D&D wouldn't be at all similar to what would be appropriate for them if they'd started out in the Star Wars universe - some of the things that, say, even a mid-sized dragon or a mid-level servant of a deity could do is insanely powerful when compared to the general power level of things in the SW 'verse.
 At the very least, the difference between the mechanics and flavor of Magic/Gods vs. The Force is going to be extremely hard to balance out.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Well would anyone know where to find an Index or Reference for more creatures or enemies?

I understand that they are neither from the same universe or game, but i also understand that they use very similar d20 systems. Given the fact that SW:RPG has been discontinued, this makes finding miniatures harder. My intentions would be to incorporate D&D creatures into a SW:RPG as smoothly as possible, and implement them into the story via undiscovered worlds or mutations. 

My main concerns would be the difference between stats.
Any and all suggestions and help are very much appreciated. 

Miniatures don't have game stats. Minis are merely representations of game creatures, and game creatures have stats. If you use minis to represent different game creatures (or even creatures in a different game) then those creatures can have different stats.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I have probably two dozen D&D minis altogether. As far as Star Wars, I have 30- or 40-something storm/clone troopers and at elast a dozen wookiees, in addition ot a gaggle if other generic and specific characters.

If I'm not in a position where I can use MapTool in an online or dual-monitor setup, I'm forced to use Star Wars minis (well, that's not true. I got a Monster Vault recently). I just put my wookiees on the board and say, "these are where the orcs are standing. Go kill some orcs." You could use coins or jelly beans for all the stats care.
I have probably two dozen D&D minis altogether. As far as Star Wars, I have 30- or 40-something storm/clone troopers and at elast a dozen wookiees, in addition ot a gaggle if other generic and specific characters.

If I'm not in a position where I can use MapTool in an online or dual-monitor setup, I'm forced to use Star Wars minis (well, that's not true. I got a Monster Vault recently). I just put my wookiees on the board and say, "these are where the orcs are standing. Go kill some orcs." You could use coins or jelly beans for all the stats care.

And then the player who slays the orc gets to eat the representative jelly bean.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain

And then the player who slays the orc gets to eat the representative jelly bean.

When I first started playing 4E with my kids, we were short on minis and tokens. So, one session, I needed a bunch of goblins minion tokens. I decided to use the closest thing at hand -- cat treats.

The kids went off for a break while I changed the map and set up the combat. I arranged the minis and cat-treat tokens, then went to use the bathroom. I was gone maybe 2 minutes, calling the kids away from the TV to go back to the game table ... where our cat was contentedly sitting, eating all the goblin minions. =D

When I first started playing 4E with my kids, we were short on minis and tokens. So, one session, I needed a bunch of goblins minion tokens. I decided to use the closest thing at hand -- cat treats.

The kids went off for a break while I changed the map and set up the combat. I arranged the minis and cat-treat tokens, then went to use the bathroom. I was gone maybe 2 minutes, calling the kids away from the TV to go back to the game table ... where our cat was contentedly sitting, eating all the goblin minions. =D

A Gargantuan Cat Monster Appears!

5 points to the first person who gets the game reference.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]

Well, not sure about a game, but that happens in "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising".

I recently ran a Gamma World session using a similar mechanic.  It took place in an old chocolate factory, and all the monsters were represented by different types of candy.  Players got to eat whatever they killed.  I posted a (non-system specific) version of the module here.

Well, not sure about a game, but that happens in "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising".

Dragon Quest, pretty much any game in that series.  Any time a monster attacks, it says "A (insert monster name here) appears!".
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]