Exile equal dying and transforming werewolves.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If i exile a creature does it count as that creature 'dying'.

And werewolf cards say they transform back if a player casts 2 or more spells the previous turn. So they have to be cast by a single player, not 2 or more spells combined? (as if i cast an instant during my opponents play phase and he casts 1 spell)

Can someone explain Vengeful Pharaoh i was under the assumption abilities can't be activated from the graveyard unless its a flashback or another spell lets you, would you need 2 pharoahs, or am i just wrong.

No. A creature dies if it goes to the Graveyard from the Battlefield. Being exiled means going to the Exile zone.

And werewolf cards say they transform back if a player casts 2 or more spells the previous turn. So they have to be cast by a single player, not 2 or more spells combined? (as if i cast an instant during my opponents play phase and he casts 1 spell)

The same player must cast both spells. On your example, the werewolves will not transform back.

Can someone explain Vengeful Pharaoh i was under the assumption abilities can't be activated from the graveyard unless its a flashback or another spell lets you, would you need 2 pharoahs, or am i just wrong.

Vengeful Pharaoh has a triggered ability, not an activated one. It works from the graveyard simply because it says "if Vengeful Pharaoh is in your graveyard".

Rules:

112.6. Abilities of an instant or sorcery spell usually function only while that object is on the stack. Abilities of all other objects usually function only while that object is on the battlefield. The exceptions are as follows:

112.6b. An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.
112.6j. A trigger condition that can't trigger from the battlefield functions in all zones it can trigger from. Other trigger conditions of the same triggered ability may function in different zones.

The Pharaoh's ability's trigger condition is "Whenever combat damage is dealt to you or a planeswalker you control, if Vengeful Pharaoh is in your graveyard...". So, it can only trigger from the graveyard.

[<o>]
kk thank you ^^
A creature "dies" if it is put into the graveyard from the battlefield. Since creatures that are exiled are not put into the graveyard, this doesn't count as dying.

A card like Bane of Hanweir transforms if a player cast 2 or more spells. That means a single player must cast 2 or more spells, not both players combined.

Vengeful Pharaoh can trigger from the graveyard. From 112.6:

"Abilities of [creatures] only function while that [creature] is on the battlefield. The exceptions are as follows:

112.6j A trigger condition that can't trigger from the battlefield functions in all zones it can trigger from."

Also, note that the Pharaoh's ability can't be "activated" at all - it isn't an activated ability, it's a triggered ability. (Pretty sure you knew that, but since the word "activated" with relation to abilities has a pretty specific meaning, thought I'd point it out for clarity.) 
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010

No.

For a creature to die, it must go from the battlefield to its owner's graveyard.

If something is exiled, it is put into the Exile zone, which is not a graveyard. Therefore it did not die.

And werewolf cards say they transform back if a player casts 2 or more spells the previous turn. So they have to be cast by a single player, not 2 or more spells combined? (as if i cast an instant during my opponents play phase and he casts 1 spell)

Two or more spells cast by one player. If each player in a five-player game casts one spell each during a turn, werewolves don't transform.

You can't activate the Pharaoh's ability at all; it is not an activated ability, and only activated abilities can be activated. It's a triggered ability, and it triggers when its trigger condition occurs, provided it is in the correct zone at that moment.

Mostly, the correct zone i s the battlefield (or the stack for instants and sorceries) but there are some exceptions. One of these is an ability that moves its source object out of a specified zone when it resolves; such abilities fire when the source is in the zone it is to be moved from. So the Pharaoh's ability fires only if the Pharaoh is in its owner's graveyard when combat damage is dealt.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
oh thanks yea i ment triggered, darn magic and forcing me to try and use proper english for what i mean lol

another question, when i play Glimmerpoint Stag does the exiled card come back at my end step, or my opponents end step? Which is the "next end step"?
The "next end step" is the very next end step to occur.  More than likely that will be yours.  (unless you put the Stag into play on your opponents turn)
MTG Rules Advisor
The next end step is the first one to occur after the delayed trigger starts.

If you cast glimmerpoint stag during your main phase, the next end step is yours. 
All Generalizations are Bad
thanks again ^^
Sign In to post comments