Rules Question: Unseelie Abuse?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heyo,

Playing in a local group I want to bring forward the following combination:

Race: Bugbear (To allow the use of Large Weapons, +2 STR)
Class: Bararian (Berserker, to use 'Howling Strike' 1W+1D6+STR Level 1 At-Will)
Theme: Unseelie Agent (To Create the 'Magic Weapon' bonus at level 1)
Feat: Fullblade Proficency

Using the Agent to create a +1 Large Fullblade (+3 Prof, 2D6 DMG, 2Hand, High Crit, Heavy Blade)

Ideal Combination: +9 to Hit at 20 Strength while attacking with the Fullblade +1, dealing:

1D6 +1
1D6 +1
1D6 +1
+5 DMG
----------------- Min 11 Damage, Max 26

And thanks to High Crit,
1D6 +1
1D6 +1
+5 DMG
----------------- Min 30 Damage, 40 Damage Critical

The Real Question: Can the Unseelie Agent Theme Benefit be used to create large weapons? I'm not sure if this has come up before but it seems on the more powerful side of at-will attacks for straight created level one characters. Especially at +9 to hit.
Sure, why not? It doesn't say that the weapon has to be medium sized. 

You do get one thing wrong in your calculation though. The +1 enhancement bonus to damage doesn't get added to every die roll, but only to the total. So Howling Strike deals 1W+1D6+STR+enhancement (1) damage. 
I have a related question. Can it be used to create a quarterstaff that can then be used as an implement? What about an accurate quarterstaff?
Yes, and yes. As long as it's a weapon with which you have proficiency, Unseelie Agent can make it. 
Thanks for the quick response.

On a side note, the way damage enhancement is worded seems counterproductive.

+1 to Damage Rolls seems like it would add a single point of damage to every damage die you role while using said item.

+1 to Damage on the otherhand seems like it would add a single point of damage to every attack used with the weapon. Which is apparently how the mechanic works, is there a reason why the word 'Rolls' is used?
The rule is written that way to exclude damaging effects and attacks that don't roll dice, e.g. Magic Missile. In D&D terms, a "damage roll" explicitly includes all the dice you roll. See page 22 of the Rules Compendium.
The rule is written that way to exclude damaging effects and attacks that don't roll dice, e.g. Magic Missile. In D&D terms, a "damage roll" explicitly includes all the dice you roll. See page 22 of the Rules Compendium.

Makes sense now, thanks.
no need for howling strike, either.

berserkers get +1d8 to their MBA and the at-wills designed for them (notably run down and jarring strike) once their Berserker Fury is active, which is higher than the 1d6 from howling strike.

Savage Cut, one of the HotFW encounter powers, deals 2[W]+1d8+str and will trigger your Berserker Fury.
Indeed - once your Berserker is Furying, you're far better off with straight MBAs for charging, which will do more damage and have MUCH more support than Howling Strike.

I go with Run Down/Pressing Strike or Run Down/Savage Reach until I have Curtain of Steel, at which point, that's an awesome way to get your Fury on.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I noticed on the Character builder that the superior implements (accurate dagger for example) is not a weapon choice for Unseelie Agent, in fact neither is shortbow for some reason.
CB error. Although, check that you're proficient in the Superior Implement or the Shortbow.
I doubt the CB was coded to allow Unseelie agents to create superior implements since they are *implements*.  Sure, a staff can be used as a weapon, but who here thinks the CB devs are thinking that far out in terms of usage?  Show of hands?

That's what I thought.

Thankfully, that choice really means nothing to the CB anyway.  Tell it that you make Quarterstaffs.  Then go into the Marketplace and find the Superior Implement that you want to make and get it as a Magic +1.  Just remember that your crits with that will be +1d8 and not +1d6. 
Sign In to post comments